Thread: DIY Neeli Hair Growth Oil

Length
    21"/23/32/30-34
    Type
    2a/M/i

Default DIY Neeli Hair Growth Oil

I bought this Neelibringadi oil which was supposed to miraculously somehow stop my hair from shedding insanely as it has been the past few years, worse with each month.

So I tried it knowing that oil causes my hair to shed insanely.

INSTANTLY, and i mean, the very first time i washed it, i noticed my shed count going from almost 200 to just 20 hairs!!!!

It worked for me! I'm so excited to wait until all my hair outgrows!

So decided to be a DIY Diva and make my own version!

The original bottle says the ingredients are:
    Brahmi, bhringraj, indigo, balloon vine, indian pennywort, amla, coconut oil, castor oil, licorice, and coconut (meat).

I made neeli oil with what i had lying around.

My Hair Grown Serum:
    Base oils: Coconut oil (absorbtion), Sesame (scent) and Castor oil (strength and thickness- it worked on my lashes), EVOO (moisture).
    Brahmi and Bhringraj - the main active herb components for growth and strengthened roots and thickness.
    Rooibos Vanilla tea – for proven 80% hair growth improvement and scent
    Amla, neem – for antibacterial properties and proper acid balance and strength
    stinging nettle, fenugreek – for hair stimulation
    Rosemary – for stimulation
    Vitamine E and Primrose Oil- for scalp health (I omitted these because i wasn't sure how my scalp may react and if they would be of much benefit but it sounded like a good idea)

I couldn't think of much else to add to it. Also the herbs are quite old, 2 or 3 years, so they aren't at their most potent freshness.

I simmered it in a glass in a boiling saucepan for about 2 hours collectively. I strained with cheese cloth and then again with a coffee filter but then i tossed that idea out because i thought remnants of herb in it could only do good things. I put it in an old hair dye bottle WHICH may have residual chemicals but i was willing to risk it after cleaning it as well as i could. You could use an empty ketchup bottle or something. I added a lot more other oils than coconut because melting it every time i wash my hair would annoy me...

I'll keep you posted. I hope someone else tries it and it helps them too.

I think i'll freeze some ice cubes with a strained tea, it will have rooibos and only the nice smelling herbs, then i'll defrost a cube and spray my roots after a shower. That way i have 24 hour hair growth stimulation going on! I haven't gotten up to that yet, and i would strain that batch with a coffee filter.

*warning. It will most likely stain your hair!*

I'm testing it and will edit the results in later. My hair is known to fall out if anything touches my scalp so we'll see. I have just put it in at 5:30pm and I'll wash it out before bed just in case i react to it.
    Last edited by tiny_teesha; July 30th, 2011 at 02:54 AM. Reason: typo
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    BSL/MB/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: DIY Neeli Hair Growth Oil

Very interesting!

I also have this Neelibringadi oil, which I only use every now and then (pre-wash), and haven't noticed it making much difference, but this inspired me to try remember to use it more often (especially before it expires)

And I *think* I also have some brahmi and bhringraj powders stacked away somewhere so I could try to make this DIY growth serum, too So you just boiled the powders in water and used only the strained liquid, and threw away the powder "remains"?
    "Life is not, as we are taught, a matter of seeking answers, but rather learning which are the questions we should ask." (K. Mosse in The Winter Ghosts)

That is so good to hear. I read your other thread and I know you've been struggling with shedding so I hope this works really well for you long term!

Type
    3a/M/C/ii

Wow im going out to try it out now! Probably for my mother. I wanna hear the results of your own serum
    Last edited by gthlvrmx; July 30th, 2011 at 06:38 PM.

Length
    21"/23/32/30-34
    Type
    2a/M/i

Rosetta- yes i strained it with cheese cloth so i got out the biggest particles. The herbs sit at the bottom of the bottle so they don't really come out until you're up to the last portions of the oil. i guess if you had a really fine sieve that works a bit less than a coffee filter you could use the left over paste to put on your scalp as a one time treatment...because it's quite annoying to rinse that stuff out even if it is a fine powder- i find...anyway

McFearless- it doesn't work long term, but oh well. I use it as an oil shampoo anyway, as i find its way less harsh than normal shampoo and my hair doesn't chuck a fit at it, but it isn't reducing shedding for me anymore.

gthlvrmx- the neeli oilk i bought worked, this one not so much, but i do use it in my shampoo for a gentler and more of a herbal treatment wash most times i wash.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Type
    2a/M/ii

I'm really glad to hear it worked for you. It worked for me as well and others (Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil). I really rather love it myself.
    MyHairBlog Routine Growth journey pics

Cut into a bob in Nov 2013, henna free Nov 2014