Thread: Prep hair for hair typing?

Length
    29/33/42
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Prep hair for hair typing?

Hiya!

So....I'd love to see what my natural hair type is, I'm just not sure how to go about it!

I almost never let my hair air-dry freely because of the frizzies so 99% of the time I plait it wet and then rock the lovely, nearly frizz free waves a day or so later. I've been doing this for about 4 years and can't really remember what my hair looked like before! So when it came to the hairtyping, I just went with what it looks like now, plus a vague memory of a few curls so 2c.... but know I'm thinking, well, am I?! I think I saw a thread about how to prep your hair properly so you can hair type more accurately but I tried searching and couldn't find the thread again.

Is that thread still around or could any of you lovelies direct me as to how I prep my hair so I can hairtype properly? Do I just do my normal routine and air dry my hair loose or do I go product free?

Thank you!!

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Prep hair for hair typing?

Type
    2a/F/ii

This could also help: "How To" Hair Type Your Hair. Good luck finding what you are looking for!

Length
    29/33/42
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Oooo thank you lovelies, those were the exact ones I was looking for and couldn't find again!! Sorry for massively late reply - courtesy of a dead internet box!
    xx

Type
    2a/F/ii

I'm glad the article helped. Now I'd love to see the hair typing photos.

Spatially Disoriented Charybdis's Avatar
    Length
    chin/tbl/clsc
    Type
    2b/M/iii

If you finger-comb conditioner through your hair before the final rinse, I also recommend scrunching your wet hair lightly after rinsing in order to reactivate the wave pattern (if any). It doesn't seem to make any real difference for 1's, and 3's and 4's curls will bounce back no matter what, but a lot of us 2's have waves that are very susceptible to "persuasion" by even small amounts of combing. I wasn't able to see my true hair type until I did a little scrunching at the end of my shower, because just finger-combing the conditioner through during the wash was enough to pull a noticeable amount of the curl out.

If you don't put product in, light scrunching when wet isn't enough to set waves that wouldn't already be there -- it just helps the existing waves remember their natural position. (At least, that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it! )