Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How old were you when your mother stopped brushing your hair?

Default How old were you when your mother stopped brushing your hair?

I am almost 17 and my mother still brushes my hair,in the morning and before going to bed.

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: How old were you when your mother stopped brushing your hair?

haha thats cute. my mum stopped when i was 8, i still remember her telling me that i had to do my own hair because i was always crying when she ripped a brush through my hair in the morningrush.
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Hm 8-10 i think

Type
    2a/C/iii

Do you find it cute? I would find it invasive.
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    APL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

OMG sry but i don't find it cute either..i am 17 too. My mother never brushed my hair. i didn't let her do it since i was very little...although until i was 4 i had my hair unbrushed Too lazy to do it..my mind always on games..you know.

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

I was 9 - my mom was in an accident and while she was in the hospital I taught myself pretty quickly.

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I would have said "me do!" about it by age 4. I can and have asked for help on special occasions a lot of times since then, but for the most part my hair was mine as soon as I was able to say I wanted to be in charge. Most of the limits I had came from y'know... reality. A 10 year old who can't knit and can barely write legibly just isn't going to have the fine motor control for complex hairstyles, dyeing her own hair, or using a curling iron. But brushes and combs I could manage, no problem.

If mom were better with styling hair, I probably would have done better. She can't braid very well or do most updos, and even stuff like pincurl sets (which she did a lot of as a teen) are hard for her.

But she encouraged me to care, and encouraged me to wear my hair in ways that made me happy. More importantly, when I got cuts and had cutting remorse after, she reminded me that the only way to get back to the style I liked was to... not cut!

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I guess it depends if it is a daughter mother bonding time or if she just wants to make sure you "do it right." One I think is sweet the other could be considered invasive.

I always quite liked it when my mom would mess around with my hair, braiding or whatnot. I don't really remember how old I was when she stopped.

I admit, I still take over on the hair brushing front sometimes when we are in a real hurry. But only from my daughter with Cerebral Palsy. That child (14) has one speed and it is called slow. If she forgets to brush her hair and we are rushing out the door to get somewhere I will definitely grab the tangle teezer and give her a few quick brushes just so we aren't late. Then she hears about how she needs to be more responsible and brush her hair without me telling her to when she wakes up. Grrr.

Okay, sorry, grouchiness is over. Just wish these kids would be proactive sometimes.
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

Type
    2b/2c/F/i

About 10, and only that late because my hair was always a bit wild and tangly. My sister's was easier, so she stopped earlier.

Length
    15/40/45
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I don't remember, but I didn't have long hair until I was old enough to take care of it myself, I think I started growing it long when I was 7 or 8.