Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1970s Hair Care

Length
    nape/TBL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default 1970s Hair Care

There is an okay thread in the archives about this, but I thought it'd be fun to involve current members in this topic.

Help unravel the mystery behind that gorgeous 1970s-era hair! It was thick, shiny, bouncy, and impossibly beautiful. How?! Oh, great LHC members who were present for the late '60s/'70s era, please share your memories of hair care regimens.

What shampoos, conditioners, treatments, products, habits, etc. were common then?

I can't find photos online of the actresses whose silky locks have inspired me, but these images give a starting idea as to what I'm after.

Amazing hair 1

Amazing hair 2

Amazing hair 3

How did they achieve hair that was long, silky, voluminous, and healthy-looking all at once?

Last cut Jan. 2010: ear.chin.sl.apl.bsl.mbl.waist!.hip.tbl

Length
    ../??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

Default Re: 1970s Hair Care

I would like to know what they did too
    Final Goal: Terminal lengthLady Randiriel, Shepherdess of Tithenmamiwen

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I have no idea. I do know that we didn't have any conditioner in the house in the seventies though, and neither in the eighties, actually.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I was born in 1977 and we went to sauna once a week and washed our hair then, me, my sister and our mother. My memory might fail me, but I think we only used shampoo, not conditioner. Sorry I'm of no help, non of us had long hair and I was so little I hardly remember anything, but wanted to share my memories.

I think people generally washed their hair less often back then.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I think stars'/models' hair back then was pretty much the same way it is now--that is, not attached to reality, lol. What you see isn't necessarily a daily look, but fixed up for the cameras. As far as I can remember, the shampoos and conditioners weren't really all that great. There sure wasn't the selection there is now. The heat stylers weren't as sophisticated in terms of settings, and there was a lot of hair spray involved.

Don't believe what you see in the media--from any era. It may not be what it looks like at all!

Re: silky straight hair, my mom told me that in the 70s, she and her friends used to iron their hair with a clothes iron! I suppose that would straighten it, but think of the damage!

I can't even imagine doing that nowadays, but I suppose a flat-iron isn't very different!

The first image you posted, I think, not positive though, is the famed Debra Jo Fonden. She was a Playboy centerfold, and her photos are famous. Super famous. I am given to understand that she cut her hair some time ago, though.

She, and the last photo shows hair that was tended to by George Michael. The 1960 - 70s era was rife with short hairstyles as Vidal Sassoon was making himself known at the time. He was very into "modern" looks and he loved architecture and saw hair as somewhat architetcural, and this is how he cut hair, with that mindset in mind. (I saw a movie about his life and his contributions to the hair industry. It was a really interesting movie.)

But for long hair we had Mr. George Michael. He recently died, and now his first assistant, Maria, owns the epicenter of these salons, the Madora Salon in Manhattan, New York.

He had a very specific set of products he designed for use on long hair, a very particular way of handling the hair to show it off (such as the use of very large hair rollers and rolling the hair under (not over) and placing the head under a low-heat heat cap). Those products are still purchasable, but I highly recommend a consultation with the long haired folks before using these products. There are rather specific things to keep in mind. Some longhaired people have testified that these products increase tangling, for example, and some think the products are great. It's a mixed bag, it seems. I have never used these products myself since I have a very bad scalp skin condition, and I have to be fairly careful what goes on my scalp skin.

George Michael wrote a book on hair care, which I have read and possess. I know a few people who have met him. Some have declared he wasn't an overly nice person. His book definitely shows a kind of "attitude" regarding hair, but one can cull out the hair care information separate from the personality. He was huge on Boar Bristle Brushing, and he loved to comb out hair, it seems.

There is a GM salon in Columbus, Ohio and also in Beverly Hills, California. Those are the 3 active salons in the US. There is an active salon, I believe, in the UK somewhere. The salons tend to have their own names, but are part of the GM salon system.

When I visited the Madora salon now owned by Maria, I had a wonderful experience. I merely asked for a trim and did not have my hair washed whatsoever. They trimmed my hair and created a gorgeous updo that lasted 3 days, even during sleep! Very comfortable.

The Breck shampoo ads and other ads of the time featured hair that George Michael came in for the photo shoot to maintain and sometimes he offered the models themselves. He knew loads of long-haired women, of all ages, too.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    6/30/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I can't comment on the regimen, but 1970's hair certainly inspired me! I always wanted Jaclyn Smith's hair when she was the Breck girl: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_espOowoPeJ...clyn+smith.jpg I actually found a bottle of Breck at a store ~7 years ago and I had some nostalgic thoughts back to those adds. I've been through so many different brands since then that I can't remember how it did on my hair, lol.

Plus I remember the Wella ads had good hair as well and I believe Jaclyn Smith modeled for them as well as Farah Fawcett, but my hair didn't like that brand at all.

I also love this look Jerry Hall had going on with her hair, if only my curls would do this!!! http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...ll_468x679.jpg

Type
    2b/M/iii

There was a product called "Long and Silky" that was popular for a time..specifically made for long hair.

In my pre-GM days I used Breck pink shampoo and some sort of no tears conditioner. I loved the beautiful paintings of the Breck girls.

Length
    6/30/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStarPoet View Post
    Re: silky straight hair, my mom told me that in the 70s, she and her friends used to iron their hair with a clothes iron! I suppose that would straighten it, but think of the damage!

I can't even imagine doing that nowadays, but I suppose a flat-iron isn't very different!
    My mom did this too!!!