Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you growing/have grown out a pixie cut...

Type
    2a/F/M/i

Default For those of you growing/have grown out a pixie cut...

(Please excuse the lack makeup and black eye...)

I cut my hair into a pixie in August 2011. It's been about 6 months since then, and I've had a few trims to get rid of the mullet.

I'm going crazy with my hair this length!! I'm trying to grow it out to a bob, but I can't stand having the back longer than the front.

Honestly I just want to be able to put it into a ponytail again so I don't have to think about it anymore, but I can't even do that much.

How long do you guys think it's gonna take till the back evens up with the front, and I can have an actual bob?

Length
    CL/~BSL/BSL+?
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: For those of you growing/have grown out a pixie cut...

I got a pixie around the same time, but I never trimmed to get rid of the mullet. At it's longest, my hair is (in back) just barely past my shoulders, but the front is just reaching my chin.
    So your's will probably even out in about 6 months or so... If you want to grow it to a bob, you'll have to just put up with the back being longer for a while... Sorry!

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

My hair was that long at the beginning of june. by the end of July I could out it in a bit of a ponytail, very small, with pieces out. Its borderline APL now, so don't despair!
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

Length
    Pixie/MBL/Term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I had a pixie also and I know its fustrating this stage.

It toke me a good 10 months to even out and have a
    chin to shoulder lenght Bob .

What helped me through the awkward stages were
    my headbands they will become your best friends!

Length
    pixie/43/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

When I was growing out my pixie I cut the back a lot, and I used gel to keep it out of my face. I think in a few more months you will be able to do a tiny pony tail. Good luck!

Length
    11/27/30
    Type
    2b/F/iii

oh... I'd guess four to six months, depending on how fast your hair grows and short you want the resulting bob to be.

Meantime, you can embrace its mulletyness, think of it as an ironic cultural statement (who died and got to declare having hair longer in the back than the front is a freakin mortal sin, anyway?! My mom actually LIKED my mullet, asked "what kind of hairdo do you call that?" uh, six months of overgrowth on a formerly-cute pixie, mom. )

or get scarves/cute hats/headbands/barrettes

or just power thru it on sheer gumption. or some combo of all the above.

Six months will pass in the blink of an eye. Plus, pretty soon you'll be able to do kind of a half-up, and that helped me make mine look less "mullety" even when it still really was.
    Last edited by elbow chic; February 20th, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

Length
    CL/~BSL/BSL+?
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by elbow chic View Post
    or get scarves/cute hats/headbands/barrettes

or just power thru it on sheer gumption. or some combo of all the above.
    YES. SCARVES. SCARVES ARE YOUR FRIEND.
    Pixies just suck like that. They're cute until you get bored with them, and then growing them out seems to take forever.

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

I also had my hair cut to a pixie in August 2011. I only trimmed the mullet once in November.

The back of it is almost at shoulder now, and the shortest parts reach my ear lobes. There's quite a bit of difference in the layers. If you can find the shortest bits of your hair and measure them, then measure the length to where you want your hair to be- that's how many inches you have left to grow. Most hair grows 1/2 inch a month if you want to figure out approximately how long it would take.

I've been debating the bob. I know I want my hair all one length at some point, but I don't know how exactly I'm going to go about that yet.

Length
    1/31/term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Oh.... I hated the mid lengths too. I wore a lot of headbands to keep the mullet in check, and I got a lot of trims. Best thing you can do is find a way to keep the shorter layers pulled back so they're not so noticeably short in comparison. For me, I tried to keep it all at chin length until the front and back caught up, but then it just fro'd out because of my specific texture. Your hair looks like it likes to lay down and be good, though, so I don't think you'd have to worry about that part. :-D

If you're determined not to trim anything to even it out, I'm not sure when it will all catch up. Probably when it hits your collar?

Much sympathies, sister! This too will pass!
    Lady Forvenniel, of Mysterious Lands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I got a trim every 6 to 8 weeks while growing out a pixie, which took me from short layers to longer layers. I think it took a year to go from pixie to a shoulder-length layered style. By 3 years, I was at BSL without layers.