Thread: What is the best and quickest deep treatment for dry, flaky scalp?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Okay, so. I've pretty much always had a bit of a problem with dry scalp, however it wasn't so bad that I couldn't just sort of deal with it.

Lately, though, it's gotten really severe for some reason. The flakes are bigger and a lot more noticeable than I remember them ever being!

SO! I have decided I am going to do a deep treatment today (I'm overdue anyway), and I want to know if anyone has suggestions for something I can put on my scalp to at least HELP this go away!

If it's helpful, I have on hand:
    -coconut oil
    -AVG
    -olive oil
    -NG Henna Shine conditioner
    -Suave Green Apple conditioner
    -eggs
    -honey

Thanks for any help, guys, I appreciate it!

Length
    Apl/Bsl+/Waist
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: What is the best and quickest deep treatment for dry, flaky scalp?

If it's helpful, I have on hand:
    -coconut oil
    -AVG
    -olive oil
    -NG Henna Shine conditioner
    -Suave Green Apple conditioner
    -eggs
    -honey

I would use the three highlighted. Coconut oil should work with your scalp issues.
    SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WAIST-HIP
    **Almost there!!!**

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I recently did a scalp scrub with raw sugar, olive oil, ACV and a couple of drops of patchouli and peppermint oils, and it worked very well for the flakes, not sure if this what you're looking for though. Good luck anyway, scalp problems are so annoying...

For dryness issues :

My scalp becomes dryier when I mosturize it (oils, etc.) because my head reduced it's production of sebum when I oil it ! My face does the same thing.

My trick is to wash it once with a good quality natural shampoo (or henna) with some perpermint essential oil drops in it. Rise very well, with ACV too ( but no conditionner to the scalp)

And then stretch washes for many days and each day, massage my scalp very well with my fingers, head down, stimulating sebum production which hydrates the scalp and keeps it healthy.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Also ACV would help.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    3 in/thigh/knee
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

Try heating coconut oil, and massage it on your scalp. I think doing it twice or thrice a week should be enough. I can't guarantee it's full effectiveness, however.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Hmm, well, I am probably going to try warm coconut oil today, I guess. Is olive oil out then?

Also, is there a certain number of hours that I'd need to leave it on for it to be effective? I want to get it done today, as I do have plans later.

Oh! Also, the sugar scrub idea sounds very appealing to me, but we only have regular cane sugar...would that be alright to use?
    Last edited by KahRistAhn; February 20th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

Length
    3 in/thigh/knee
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by KahRistAhn View Post
    Hmm, well, I am probably going to try warm coconut oil today, I guess. Is olive oil out then?

Also, is there a certain number of hours that I'd need to leave it on for it to be effective? I want to get it done today, as I do have plans later.

Oh! Also, the sugar scrub idea sounds very appealing to me, but we only have regular cane sugar...would that be alright to use?
    Are you referring to my post? Hope I'm not late... your "today" is "yesterday"... A friend of mine whom I knew back then used to do this treatment. As far as I can remember, he used only coconut oil, massaged the scalp and left it for a few hours (2 hours I think). Sorry, I can't give any more details as I myself haven't done this before.

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by KahRistAhn View Post

I guess it would work? At least I can't think of a reason why it would be bad... If you decide to try this remember to be very gentle!

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

I had this problem a few months ago. I dont know if it was flakes or dandruff that i had. But i used coconut oil on my hair an hour before i showered and i used a dandruff shampoo (selsun blue). I did this two to three times weekly and my flakes cleared up in three weeks!