Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what are some protective style I can do without alot of hair toys?

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: what are some protective style I can do without alot of hair toys?

I would second the braided bun suggestion and also toss out the option of using actual chopsticks in your hair. I do. They're very cheap and when you buy the round ones they have no seams. If there are any asian markets around you can usually pick up a pack of 8 for only a few dollars and some of them are quite pretty.
    ~Lady Menrva of the Cat-Kept Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~
    Chin
    ~Shoulder~APL~BSL~MBA~Waist~Tailbone~Classic

Length
    Hip/clsc+/Term?
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

You can make cheap hair forks by bending double pointed knitting needles in half. If they're short enough you can also use double pointed knitting needles as they are as hairsticks.
    Great for making lazy wrap buns.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Zhennni(: View Post
    are they easy to use? I suck at using pins:P I have trouble using the U shaped pins :/
    As far as using hairpins (not bobby pins), it is how you insert it that makes the difference.

You insert the pin --points facing the scalp - down through the outtermost edge of the braid or bun and try and "scoop" up a tiny bit of scalp hair, then pivot the pin inward towards the braid (bun) weaving the pin into it in and up and down motion.

Pin at the 4 points (north/south/east/west) and wherever needed.

Crimped hairpins come in various sizes, are very flexible and gentle on your hair..and easy to remove.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I have layers to at the side so I got where I put my hair up in a pony tail bun loose and sort of messy. All you need is a scrunchi.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Doing two french or dutch braids is easier with thick, layered hair. You might also be able to do a chinese bun (one hairstick required). I got 4 hairsticks in a pack at Sally's for around $4 or $5. I have good luck using 3" bunheads hairpins. They are great for holding thick hair. I have never bought spin pins because they don't look long enough for me and you only get 2 in a pack for $5 and I like to use 4 pins to hold my buns. The bunheads pins have around 8-10 pins per pack (I'm guessing because it does not say on the package, but I bought mine YEARS ago and still have around 8 pins) and cost between $5-$7 depending on where you get them. Just google "bunheads" and you can find them

Once and Future Long-Hair XcaliburGirl's Avatar
    Length
    23/27.5/CL 44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I bought my plastic hairsticks at Claire's a few years ago when my hair was long. They don't have to be expensive hand-carved wood. I don't know if Claire's still carries them, but if you have one near you, it is worth a try.
    I want to finally get back to Classic. Growing again starting March 2018.

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Kelikea, I can hold many buns with a single spin pin. Some of the iii thicknesses prefer 4 spin pins, but a fair number seem to do well with just 2 or 3. They're a rather impressive bit of engineering, since they work well in thinner hair too.

The one time where I'd lean towards wanting more pins is for stuff like braided figure 8 or infinity buns.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jacqueline101 View Post
    I have layers to at the side so I got where I put my hair up in a pony tail bun loose and sort of messy. All you need is a scrunchi.
    Id go for this too, cheap and easy to use!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by torrilin View Post
    Kelikea, I can hold many buns with a single spin pin. Some of the iii thicknesses prefer 4 spin pins, but a fair number seem to do well with just 2 or 3. They're a rather impressive bit of engineering, since they work well in thinner hair too.

The one time where I'd lean towards wanting more pins is for stuff like braided figure 8 or infinity buns.
    For the sake of your hair, please consider that if your bun is relying on a single spin pin, all the weight in that bun is relying on it too.

Your hair's weight should be properly supported so the bulk of it isn't dependant on that one pin. It puts too much pressure on that one particular place...especially if you're wearing it up all day.
    Last edited by Madora; February 19th, 2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: clarity

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I claw clip the end of my bun to the rest of my bun and that works pretty well.