Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what are some protective style I can do without alot of hair toys?

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Default what are some protective style I can do without alot of hair toys?

Hi everyone! I know that putting your hair up in a protective style will reduce tangles and breakage; however I am a poor highschool student who does't have the money to buy expensive hair combs, forks, and sticks etc. All I have are hair ties, bobby pins, and claw clips. I used to be able to secure a french twist with a claw clip but now my hair is getting too long( waist length and pretty thick) and the clip doesnt secure it well. Also my hair is heavily layered :/ I can't even do a french briad without pieces of hair sticking/falling out Do you guys have any suggestions of styles I can do? or maybe recommend really cheap hair toys that i can afford? thanks alot!
    my goal is classic length<3

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: what are some protective style I can do without alot of hair toys?

Spin pins are pretty cheap and available at most drugstore type places (CVS, Target... etc.)

I swear by them, I don't even own any hairtoys, and I'm perfectly happy with the styles I can create.

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

are they easy to use? I suck at using pins:P I have trouble using the U shaped pins :/

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Zhennni(: View Post
    are they easy to use? I suck at using pins:P I have trouble using the U shaped pins :/
    They are ridiculously easy. Try a cinnabun first and use two spin pins, one where the ends tuck in, and another on the opposite side. Think of it as "sewing" your hair; as you twist the pins in, they thread through your bun and the scalp hair and hold it together.

It's pretty intuitive, once you see them, you'll understand.

U shaped pins are a pain in my booty, I can imagine they're difficult for most people.

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

I will give those a try then but for some reason I am afraid to screw/twist things in my hair because before I tried to use pencils and chopsticks as a hairstick, and as I twisted them in i hear and feel hairs snapping O.O is there a special technique to twising hair toys in your hair?

Length
    Shldr/BSL+/?
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii

Gibson tuck is easy. How are your braiding skills? Braids are good and there a many styles. You could try a braided bun, holded by bobby pins.
    Shld --> APL --> BSL --> Waist -->

Length
    30.5/?/term
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

You can find hair sticks for pretty cheap online if you look, though most of the cheap ones aren't the sturdiest of things. And it might not be the height of fashion, but anything relatively hair stick-shaped works as a substitute: chopsticks, pens, pencils.
    Now: widest part of my calf

Favorite hairstyles: Elling Woman bun Amish braids

Length
    chin/MBL/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Spin pins are amazing and totally nondamaging and sooo easy to use and hold fantastically (yes I love spin pins!). They are really thin and smooth so you shouldn't get the snagging you got from chopsticks. Chopsticks are a great alternative to hairsticks tho, just make sure you sand any rough bits really smooth because that could be what was catching your hair before.

As for styles, try a dutch braid instead of a French as it can contain layers a bit better. A sock bun could also work well for you. The flower bun can be done with bobby pins and a hair band and is a pretty style. ETA: I just realised there are several buns called a flower bun, but they are all pretty and can all be done with what you already have!
    Last edited by fridgee; February 19th, 2012 at 02:41 AM.

Lady Egleriel, Wanderer of Hallowed Halls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    1"/BSL/HBL

Sock buns are super easy.

Length
    20"/46"/?
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Zhennni(: View Post
    I am afraid to screw/twist things in my hair because before I tried to use pencils and chopsticks as a hairstick, and as I twisted them in i hear and feel hairs snapping O.O is there a special technique to twising hair toys in your hair?
    You shouldn't have to twist sticks into your hair- they should slide in smoothly, with no snagging. I find pencils tend to catch in my hair, but a Bic biro is my favourite pen-hairstick.
    What kind of bun/ updo were you doing with the pencils/ chopsticks?