Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: what are some protective style I can do without alot of hair toys?

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: what are some protective style I can do without alot of hair toys?

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    For the sake of your hair, please consider that if your bun is relying on a single spin pin, all the weight in that bun is relying on it too.

Your hair's weight should be properly supported so the bulk of it isn't dependant on that one pin. It puts too much pressure on that one particular place...especially if you're wearing it up all day.
    M'dear, I have about HALF the hair you do in terms of thickness. Nevermind length, where you've got a solid extra foot or more. Using 2 spin pins in my hair means that I need to do rather weird pin arrangements so they don't interlock, or I need to be wearing a bun that makes my hair giant, like a braided infinity bun, because 2 pins provide about 6-8" worth of support length, and my cinnabuns are not large enough to require that much. 3" worth of pin sewn into my hair the way a spin pin does is enough for many of my favorites.

And yes, if the one pin is placed incorrectly, it doesn't catch scalp hair on every turn. And then my hair spits out the pin and falls down. The joys of fine and slippery hair :P. I don't usually have to worry about my hair staying up if it's insufficiently supported by the pins. Too slippery!

For a U shaped pin, yes, I'd totally agree with you. There I usually need more like 3, or my hair will slither out. But spin pins are not U shaped pins.

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

For spin pins, are they all the same size? If there are different sizes what size is better for waist length hair?
    my goal is classic length<3

Length
    short/mid/long
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
    You can make cheap hair forks by bending double pointed knitting needles in half. If they're short enough you can also use double pointed knitting needles as they are as hairsticks.
    Great for making lazy wrap buns.
    This is what I do, since I'm a poor college student. JoAnne's Fabrics has super cheap, bendable knitting needles that work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhennni(: View Post
    For spin pins, are they all the same size? If there are different sizes what size is better for waist length hair?
    Spin pins come in a pack of 3 for the minis and a pack of 2 for the regular. I have one of each. Personally I prefer amish pins. Conair makes them and I got mine at CVS. I think they were a pack of 12 for about $5 or so.

Length
    23.5/29/Hmmm
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Spin pins are very cheap on eBay.

littleizz's tucked braid updo is very pretty and can be done with only an elastic and bobby pins or spin pins: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...80#post2003780

Added: Since your hair is rather longer, you could start it a bit higher up on your head and maybe let the braid hang down more, if that makes any sense to you.

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Eirelin View Post
    Spin pins are very cheap on eBay.

littleizz's tucked braid updo is very pretty and can be done with only an elastic and bobby pins or spin pins: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...80#post2003780

Added: Since your hair is rather longer, you could start it a bit higher up on your head and maybe let the braid hang down more, if that makes any sense to you.
    wow very pretty up do but she used a hair fork, how do I do it with elastic and pins?
    my goal is classic length<3

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Sock buns are good! Also, try twisting your hair into a Cinnabun and secure it with a claw clip (takes 1-3 depending on the size of the clip and thickness of your hair). I prefer the large ones where you only need one. Good luck

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Zhennni(: View Post
    wow very pretty up do but she used a hair fork, how do I do it with elastic and pins?
    I think you'd just secure the tail of the braid with the elastic and then after you roll it up use the pins to hold the braid inside the tucked part, if that makes sense -- she used a fork to hold the rolled up part in but you could just stick bobby pins or spin pins inside instead
    Lady Nemhain, Keeper of the Underworld Halls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - 2a/2b - F - i

almost any bun can be secured with your choice of hair tools- a figure 8 bun can be secured with a hair stick or bobby pins or amish pins or a flexi-8 or a ficarre... this is something I discovered recently lol it's so simple of a concept but I finally realized it

also any bun can be done as a half-up although that's not really a protective updo.

if you get spin pins or amish pins I love doing three mini cinnamon buns at the nape of the neck or doing three down the center of your head like a mohawk. simple, cute, easy, and a good protective style

I like to browse the thread "how are you wearing your hair today" for ideas and inspiration since I tend to stick to only 2-3 same styles all the time.