Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what are some protective style I can do without alot of hair toys?

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: what are some protective style I can do without alot of hair toys?

Quote Originally Posted by torrilin View Post
    Kelikea, I can hold many buns with a single spin pin. Some of the iii thicknesses prefer 4 spin pins, but a fair number seem to do well with just 2 or 3. They're a rather impressive bit of engineering, since they work well in thinner hair too.

The one time where I'd lean towards wanting more pins is for stuff like braided figure 8 or infinity buns.

I think I do have a bit more hair than you, it is hip-TBL right now and 4-4.25 pony circumference. My buns are quite large and a spin pin is shorter than the width of my bun.
    These are pictures of my rose bun, Chinese bun, and knot bun, all from this fall. I don't have any more recent pictures of buns, but you can see that 1. I have quite a bit of hair, and 2. I don't need many hair toys besides pins and a stick But I don't think 1 spin pin would hold it.

Length
    27/42.5/46
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Claw clips work pretty well for buns-- when my hair was at waist (with layers), they were the only thing that would hold my hair for a while. If you make a bun (braided buns work best, I found, particularly braided buns that started from a french or dutch braid), and then wind it into a bun, putting claw clips around the edge as necessary, it should hold your hair fairly well. Something like this:

[Ack! I didn't realize the picture would turn out so big!]
    27 28 29(WST) 32 (HIP) 36 (TBL) 37 38 39 40 41 42 (CLSC) 43 44 45 46 47 48 (FTL) 49 50 51 52 53 54 (KNEE)

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I might go out and buy more claw clips and try to find spin pins or cheap hair sticks I hope I can learn how to use them because I have a lot of hair; when I try to use bobby pins/hair pins to hold my bun it doesnt work I am pretty sure I inserted it the right way-I pushed it out grabed some scalp hair and pushed it in the other direction.
    my goal is classic length<3

Length
    18.38/18.38/37
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I also suggest spin pins. I loved them when my hair was longer, and I can't wait to use them again. I would split my hair into 3 sections, twist the middle one into a bun and twist the outer ones around the middle bun. It looked cool, too! I hope my explanation made sense.

Length
    chin/MBL/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

On the spin pin front it takes at least 8 normal hair pins to hold a cinnabun properly for me, but its rock solid with 2 spin pins. One from either side, so it doesn't matter if they don't reach the whole width of your bun. Basically every twist of the spin pin is like an extra pin securing the bun hair to your head hair. So hopefully even with such thick hair they will hold for you.

Lady Egleriel, Wanderer of Hallowed Halls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

is a daily washer :D nobeltonya's Avatar
    Length
    10"/36.5"/48"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Hair sticks. Or, smooth pens work, too. Lazy wrap bun is easy [just wrap it around your hand and secure with a stick.. youtube has tutorials].

I have been considering cutting up to waist lately :O It is currently just above TB, b/c I keep trimming it...
    2a/b / M/C / ii. Low porosity.

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

But isn't putting your hair in a cinnamon bun damaging since you are twisting the hairs quite tightly? do you twist in different direction each time?

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

& now I really want to try the spin pins x) hope I can find those!

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Zhennni(: View Post
    But isn't putting your hair in a cinnamon bun damaging since you are twisting the hairs quite tightly? do you twist in different direction each time?
    It probably would be, if you did it every day, in the same place on your head. If you vary the location each time you do it, it is better for your hair.

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    As far as using hairpins (not bobby pins), it is how you insert it that makes the difference.

You insert the pin --points facing the scalp - down through the outtermost edge of the braid or bun and try and "scoop" up a tiny bit of scalp hair, then pivot the pin inward towards the braid (bun) weaving the pin into it in and up and down motion.

Pin at the 4 points (north/south/east/west) and wherever needed.

Crimped hairpins come in various sizes, are very flexible and gentle on your hair..and easy to remove.
    thanks for this explanation... I always have trouble with hairpins, too. I will try it following these directions. Hopefully it will help!!

for the OP... they sell Spin Pins at Target/Walmart/Walgreens/CVS type places in the USA. I will add my vote to those who say "yay, I love them!" because they hold my layered hair really well.
    Last edited by zombi; February 19th, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
    Lady Nemhain, Keeper of the Underworld Halls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - 2a/2b - F - i