Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: To baby oil, or not to baby oil?

Length
    12/26/33
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default To baby oil, or not to baby oil?

Just some general opinions needed here! So far I use coconut oil and argan oil but the hype right now is baby oil! Which I can't believe as some people hate pertroleum by-products because they 'can lead to hair break by coating the shaft which prevents moisture from getting in AND out' (unless that's all a bunch of rubbish!) So come on guys, to baby oil or to not baby oil!

Length
    1/apl/40
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Default Re: To baby oil, or not to baby oil?

I have been wondering about this too, my little bottle is sitting unused to my left as i type this lol. Though since I just got a buzz, maybe Id be better off donating my oil collection, eh?

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I've used a little baby oil on my ends. I liked it on my ends.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    12/26/33
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

It seems as if dermatologists are really hating on it but I went out yesterday and bought 25 pounds worth of Doo Gro just to find its main ingredient was mineral oil (Doh!)

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHazel View Post
    Just some general opinions needed here! So far I use coconut oil and argan oil but the hype right now is baby oil! Which I can't believe as some people hate pertroleum by-products because they 'can lead to hair break by coating the shaft which prevents moisture from getting in AND out' (unless that's all a bunch of rubbish!) So come on guys, to baby oil or to not baby oil!
    The hype is "they 'can lead to hair break by coating the shaft which prevents moisture from getting in AND out'".

The truth as the cosmetic industry has known all along is that it helps prevent moisture loss better than vegetable oil, natural sebum and silicone, from skin, and here it can rehydrate hair and do that too.

Whether you want to try it or not, is entirely up to you. If you are happy with the oils you are using, that is great.

There are posts in my blog below with the research links on mineral oil/baby oil and several threads on the subject with reports.

Length
    16/55/?
    Type
    1b/F/i

Well for some it works great and for some (for example me) it doesn't work at all. I guess the only way to now for sure is to try it yourself.

Length
    12/26/33
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

That would be very true, but why do so many people black list it then? I am not wanting a debate I just want to be extra cautious before I apply this stuff to my locks. I do need a re-vamp In my routine its getting tediouss so I bought some products yesterday and the main ingredient is mineral oil.x

That would be very true, but why do so many people black list it then? I am not wanting a debate I just want to be extra cautious before I apply this stuff to my locks. I do need a re-vamp In my routine its getting tediouss so I bought some products yesterday and the main ingredient is mineral oil.x
    It is "blacklisted" by marketers trying to sell you their products without it. http://personalcaretruth.com/2010/08...and-hypocrisy/

and http://personalcaretruth.com/2010/11...al-oil-part-2/

ETA: Some products that contain mineral oil, also contain petrolatum or lanolin. Petrolatum is greasy and lanolin is a wax. Sometimes those products contain more of other ingredients that cause build-up. Baby oil used in a small enough amount (drops), and not overused (it should not need to be reapplied between washings) or used over a lot of product or residue, can be washed out completely with even a non sulfate shampoo or conditioner only.
    Last edited by ktani; February 18th, 2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: ETA

Length
    12/26/33
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

That is very true, maybe I'll have to give it a try your link was very useful x x

That is very true, maybe I'll have to give it a try your link was very useful x x
    See also the ETA I just added for you. And good luck!