Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Room protection: hair dye everywhere 🙂

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Room protection: hair dye everywhere 🙂

For those of you who color your hair at home without benefit of a deep bathtub or laundry basin, how do you stop hair dye getting everywhere?

I'm standing in my bathroom when I apply the color and because since I first noticed a couple of splatters, I've been very careful. Somehow that just doesn't help!

The weird thing is when I'm done I've now trained myself to look over the whole room and try to see if there's any spots that have ended up on the walls that I didn't notice during the process. Almost always, I find none.. but then the next day they will be there! I'm not sure how that happens!! Comes off fine from tile or the countertop, but that room is in desperate need of painting at this point.

Obviously being super careful isn't enough. I thought of putting my camping "privacy tent" in the bathroom and doing it inside that.. but it would be too dark and then I'll wreck that thing! The only other thing I can think to do is line the walls with a sheet of plastic, but I'm not sure I can face doing that every time (and I'm not sure how much that size and quantity of plastic would cost).

Looking forward to some ideas I haven't thought of! Thanks!
    Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Room protection: hair dye everywhere 🙂

I'm always messy with hair dye. Fortunately, my henna doesn't really stain but the Manic Panic I've used sure does. I've taken to putting a towel on the floor and literally saran wrapping all the walls and counters near me. Even then, I have to have a clean-up rag and stuff handy. What kind of dye are you using? I"m wondering if there's a less messy alternative.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    I'm always messy with hair dye. Fortunately, my henna doesn't really stain but the Manic Panic I've used sure does. I've taken to putting a towel on the floor and literally saran wrapping all the walls and counters near me. Even then, I have to have a clean-up rag and stuff handy. What kind of dye are you using? I"m wondering if there's a less messy alternative.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I think it will come to that LOL

I'm using Herbatint.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I used indigo a couple of times (Talk about permanent, hahaha) and I found that laying a couple layers of newspaper on things that I absolutely loved and didn't want indigo splotches on was helpful.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I'm not certain how the dye you're using works or what amenities you would need, but I usually put on henna in the kitchen, which is my largest room and has hard flooring instead of rugs. I have a couple of ratty old bath towels that I spread on the floor as a kind of dropcloth. I sit cross-legged in the center of the towels and I usually manage not to get henna on anything other than them and myself ( ; At my grandmother's house, we always dyed our hair outside.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I put garbage bags down. Snip one in 2 and you have one giant sheet of plastic. I put down a couple, and also put one in my sink, covered the tap, covered the countertop, then put my bowl into the garbage bagged sink. Awesome, and so much less work afterwards!

Glad I stopped dyeing! LOL
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    13/30/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Like Shorty89 found out with Manic Panic, I found that Arctic Fox would definitely stain the whole bathroom too. Also I recently tried Garnier Nutrisse permanent hair dye which was more liquid in texture, and it got all over the floor and cabinets regardless of the trash bags I placed on the floor and counter. This time, my BF was on standby already to help spot me on the back of my head and also with paper towels to wipe down drips.

I like Shelomit and Lapushka's ideas of sitting on the floor, and either finding old towels or cut up plastic trash bags to sit on. My feet are definitely sore after standing bare foot for the process.

Length
    20/24/??
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

My trick isn’t an option for everyone, but for many years I regularly brought my box of hair dye on work trips. Saved having to worry about staining at home, hotel bathrooms are designed for easy cleaning, plus unlimited hot water for rinsing the dye out.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtaroth View Post
    My trick isn’t an option for everyone, but for many years I regularly brought my box of hair dye on work trips. Saved having to worry about staining at home, hotel bathrooms are designed for easy cleaning, plus unlimited hot water for rinsing the dye out.
    They never charged more because of how you left their bathroom?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AryaStark View Post
    Like Shorty89 found out with Manic Panic, I found that Arctic Fox would definitely stain the whole bathroom too. Also I recently tried Garnier Nutrisse permanent hair dye which was more liquid in texture, and it got all over the floor and cabinets regardless of the trash bags I placed on the floor and counter. This time, my BF was on standby already to help spot me on the back of my head and also with paper towels to wipe down drips.

I like Shelomit and Lapushka's ideas of sitting on the floor, and either finding old towels or cut up plastic trash bags to sit on. My feet are definitely sore after standing bare foot for the process.
    No sitting on the floor here. For sure! Don't know where you got that from?