Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need honey lightening advice as soon as possible please!

Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Need honey lightening advice as soon as possible please!

Hello! I have decided that the last henndigo I did made it too saturated, dark, and cool...and I am all prepared to do a honey lightening! I am extremely warm complected, and I am going for a gorgeous warm red. I had used 100g henna with about 30g indigo, and the first time it was great because it toned down the orange in the henna. But the second time I came out the way I described. I slept in a mayonnaise treatment last night which seemed to draw out a little of the darkness, but I really need to get it back to a warmer color. I need any advice you might have, but most importantly, I do NOT want to cause any damage to my hair!!! I know, it seems crazy to worry about honey damaging my hair, but it's the peroxide that it naturally produces that has me worried. Should I be? Or is it such a natural process that it truly won't cause damage to my hair. Thank you so much for help!

Length
    -/%/+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Need honey lightening advice as soon as possible please!

Can't go wrong with The Honey Thread.

Lady Legion of the Legendary Black Beast of Castle Aaughh;
    Order of the Long Hair'd K'nnnniggits

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by clichepithet View Post
    Can't go wrong with The Honey Thread.
    Thank you! Somehow I missed that! Ok, so I had originally read somewhere that you had to add cinnamon, but if I'm reading this correctly it seems that you just need the right honey and distilled water. Is this correct? Also, if anyone just has honey experiences they wish to share I will appreciate it. My hair is fine, and damages easily, so that is why I am so concerned. Thank you!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Cinnamon is favored in honey lightening henna and indigo and boosts the recipe peroxide level. You can use cardamom instead. Check out the innovations post for method tips and recipes too. Just about all you are inquiring about, including a link on how often you can honey lighten is in the first post of the thread.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Cinnamon is favored in honey lightening henna and indigo and boosts the recipe peroxide level. You can use cardamom instead. Check out the innovations post for method tips and recipes too. Just about all you are inquiring about, including a link on how often you can honey lighten is in the first post of the thread.
    Thank you! Ok, great! I will do that. I was also wondering about the coconut oil. Is it as good as the cinnamon, or should I just stay with cinnamon for my indigo and henna? Thank you again!

Length
    -/%/+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by snowfitness1 View Post
    Thank you! Ok, great! I will do that. I was also wondering about the coconut oil. Is it as good as the cinnamon, or should I just stay with cinnamon for my indigo and henna? Thank you again!
    From The Honey Thread, post #4540.

The purpose of the coconut oil as a pre-treatment with hair dye applied over it is not to condition the hair (conditioning has been reported as a side benefit). It is used to bind or chelate iron and copper salts and prevent them from reacting with conventional peroxide to create damaging free radicals. It is washed out of the hair with excess colour or following colouring.
    I am glad to hear your hair is none the worse for colouring it this time. Argan oil can be used instead for the same purpose (chelating), on its own, and you like using it, based on previous posts of yours. You do have options.

You can search a thread, such as The Honey Thread, for different keywords. Such as coconut oil.

At the very top of the thread with the OP, right under the page count, to the right you will see "Thread Tools", "Search This Thread", and so on and so forth. Searching a thread comes in handy when it's a monster like The Honey Thread, which is overflowing with information about honey lightening.

ETA:
    I don't mean to seem unfriendly dear. I just know that everything you want to know is there.
    Last edited by clichepithet; February 1st, 2012 at 08:41 PM.

Lady Legion of the Legendary Black Beast of Castle Aaughh;
    Order of the Long Hair'd K'nnnniggits

Type
    2a/F/ii

You can search a thread, such as The Honey Thread, for different keywords. Such as coconut oil.

At the very top of the thread with the OP, right under the page count, to the right you will see "Thread Tools", "Search This Thread", and so on and so forth. Searching a thread comes in handy when it's a monster like The Honey Thread, which is overflowing with information about honey lightening.

ETA:
    I don't mean to seem unfriendly dear. I just know that everything you want to know is there.
    Oh yes, I totally understand! Thank you for the direction!

Quote Originally Posted by snowfitness1 View Post
    From the first post of the Honey thread, I think this may be what you are looking for,
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=2370

ETA: The more honey lightening boosters you add to a recipe, (in number, not amount as that can cause problems) the more help a recipe gets to help lighten. The biggest source of peroxide in a recipe is the honey though.

If you read the very first links in the first post, there is a post with explantions in detail.
    Last edited by ktani; February 2nd, 2012 at 03:20 AM. Reason: ETA

ETA: I don't mean to seem unfriendly dear. I just know that everything you want to know is there.
    It is as much as I could make possible. And you are absolutely right that searching the thread that way is best with any thread to save time and effort. While most topics are linked in the first post, even I use the "search this thread" feature for the Honey thread sometimes on other topics covered, like most recently, salt.

Type
    2a/F/ii

From the first post of the Honey thread, I think this may be what you are looking for,
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=2370
    Thank you. I did see that prior to buying my honey, and I had the whole list printed out and with me. I went with a brand called Bee Natural Honey-Natur'es Finest-Wildflower. It says it's 100% pure, unfiltered and uncooked. Hopefully it does the job!
    On another note, I was searching the honey thread about info on coconut oil, and saw someone's post (just by chance) about how the honey lightening caused her to get horrible split ends and damage. Ugh!! I'm afraid now! Should I just do continued mayo treatments? I'm sorry to be so silly about putting honey on my hair, but I reeeeeeaaaallly want it long, and since the hair that is under the henna was super blond via color processing, I just want to maintain as much structural health as I can. Luckily, it is pretty healthy for hair that had been processed, but I definitely want to keep it that way! Thank you again!!