Thread: How to clean a boar bristle brush

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default How to clean a boar bristle brush

I would like to use my boar bristle brush but it is coated with hair and product, how do i clean it completly?
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Spatially Disoriented Charybdis's Avatar
    Length
    chin/tbl/clsc
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: How to clean a boar bristle brush

I always use a comb to remove hair from my brush. Removing product is more difficult. With plastic brushes I always wash them with warm water and liquid soap, using my fingers and a plastic comb to dislodge product and sebum. I haven't been using any styling products since starting to use my BBB, and am not sure how I'll clean it if it ever gets sebum buildup, since the boar bristles are attached to a wooden base that I assume shouldn't be exposed to a lot of water. (However, I've been using this brush for months now and not had any buildup problems in the absence of styling products.) I'd be interested to know how people with wooden brushes clean off buildup, because I've definitely had icky gunk on brushes back when I was using styling products regularly.

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
    I always use a comb to remove hair from my brush. Removing product is more difficult. With plastic brushes I always wash them with warm water and liquid soap, using my fingers and a plastic comb to dislodge product and sebum. I haven't been using any styling products since starting to use my BBB, and am not sure how I'll clean it if it ever gets sebum buildup, since the boar bristles are attached to a wooden base that I assume shouldn't be exposed to a lot of water. (However, I've been using this brush for months now and not had any buildup problems in the absence of styling products.) I'd be interested to know how people with wooden brushes clean off buildup, because I've definitely had icky gunk on brushes back when I was using styling products regularly.
    I think the handle of mine is plastic or somethign so it should be okay to get wet, how did you go styling product free? my hair is so frizzy and crazy without anything...lucky you

Type
    2b/M/iii

I've always used a wire hair brush rake, like this:

http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKim...onID=DC0001971

Really gets in between the bristle clumps and the bristles themselves.

After all the hairs have been removed, find a tall, deep plastic bottle and put in a small bit of shampoo plus 8 oz of warm water. Stir it thoroughly, then immerse your brush bristles ONLY (not the handle!) into the bottle and let sit for 7 minutes.

Rinse thoroughly under cold running water.

Shake out water and fan the bristles with your fingers several times to remove more water

Wipe off all parts of the brush, then place it - bristles facing downward - on a lint free cloth. When dry, place it in a baggie or air tight box to keep out dust.

A hairbrush should be kept as clean as possible. Wash it at least once a week. I wash mine every day with a nail brush and a bit of Neutrogena hand soap.

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post

After all the hairs have been removed, find a tall, deep plastic bottle and put in a small bit of shampoo plus 8 oz of warm water. Stir it thoroughly, then immerse your brush bristles ONLY (not the handle!) into the bottle and let sit for 7 minutes.

Shake out water and fan the bristles with your fingers several times to remove more water

Wipe off all parts of the brush, then place it - bristles facing downward - on a lint free cloth. When dry, place it in a baggie or air tight box to keep out dust.

A hairbrush should be kept as clean as possible. Wash it at least once a week. I wash mine every day with a nail brush and a bit of Neutrogena hand soap.

Yay!, the boar bristle brush expert, just who i was hoping would help me. I was thinkign of all the wonerdul things you said about a boar bristle brush and realized i have one but it is dirty and has not been used in months, i think i will wash it and give it another try. What does a boar bistle brush do for the hair? Basics on how to use it? what can i expect?

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyfire3 View Post
    Yay!, the boar bristle brush expert, just who i was hoping would help me. I was thinkign of all the wonerdul things you said about a boar bristle brush and realized i have one but it is dirty and has not been used in months, i think i will wash it and give it another try. What does a boar bistle brush do for the hair? Basics on how to use it? what can i expect?
    Here's an article I just wrote about brushing with a pure bbb, plus some miscellaneous info about boar bristles.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=229

Generally speaking, brushing your hair depends on detangling it first with a wide tooth comb, using the bbb properly, and being patient.

Since your brush hasn't been used in a while, it might need more than one cleaning to get it clean.

One more thing, I don't use any type of product on my hair when brushing -- before or afterwards. I prefer my brush to be as pristine as possible when I use it.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post

I have this bbb: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/con...908585-product

Would Madora's soaking suggestion work, or would it destroy the cushioned base? I've been using my brush for a few weeks now and I should really clean it... Thank you for any advice!

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by melusine963 View Post
    I have this bbb: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/con...908585-product

Would Madora's soaking suggestion work, or would it destroy the cushioned base? I've been using my brush for a few weeks now and I should really clean it... Thank you for any advice!
    Melusine, I've never used a cusion type bbb but would imagine doing a "quickie" wash would be an effective way of keeping your brush clean..provided you do it at least once a week (more, if you use oils):

Quickie wash:

1) Wet brush with cold water
    2) Take a nail brush and add a bit of your shampoo - or a gentle hand soap. Mush it in well to the nail brush so that it is foamy.
    3) Scrub the nail brush in amidst the boar bristle tufts, and the bristles themselves. Work down the bristles, then across them
    4) Rinse out well with cold water
    5) Shake out excess water and run your fingers over the bristles several times to remove more water
    6) Wipe off all wooden/plastic parts (the handle/back, sides)
    7) Place the brush - bristles side down - on a lint free cloth, out of direct sunlight. This way the water drains from the bristles and from the cusion too (if it has a hole in it)
    When dry, place it in a plastic baggie or air tight container.

Length
    buzz/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2b/C/ii

I used to use shampoo and an old toothbrush to clean buildup off my brushes, but recently I've found vinegar really seems to cut through the oils much better.

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sumidha View Post
    I used to use shampoo and an old toothbrush to clean buildup off my brushes, but recently I've found vinegar really seems to cut through the oils much better.
    Thats a great idea, do you just take some vinegar in a bowl and dip the brush in it then rinse?