Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: How to clean a boar bristle brush

  1. #1
    Member Hollyfire3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,697
    Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

    Default How to clean a boar bristle brush

    I would like to use my boar bristle brush but it is coated with hair and product, how do i clean it completly?
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

  2. #2
    Spatially Disoriented Charybdis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,302
    Length
    chin/waist/tbl
    Type
    2b/M/iii

    Default Re: How to clean a boar bristle brush

    I always use a comb to remove hair from my brush. Removing product is more difficult. With plastic brushes I always wash them with warm water and liquid soap, using my fingers and a plastic comb to dislodge product and sebum. I haven't been using any styling products since starting to use my BBB, and am not sure how I'll clean it if it ever gets sebum buildup, since the boar bristles are attached to a wooden base that I assume shouldn't be exposed to a lot of water. (However, I've been using this brush for months now and not had any buildup problems in the absence of styling products.) I'd be interested to know how people with wooden brushes clean off buildup, because I've definitely had icky gunk on brushes back when I was using styling products regularly.

  3. #3
    Member Hollyfire3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,697
    Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

    Default Re: How to clean a boar bristle brush

    Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
    I always use a comb to remove hair from my brush. Removing product is more difficult. With plastic brushes I always wash them with warm water and liquid soap, using my fingers and a plastic comb to dislodge product and sebum. I haven't been using any styling products since starting to use my BBB, and am not sure how I'll clean it if it ever gets sebum buildup, since the boar bristles are attached to a wooden base that I assume shouldn't be exposed to a lot of water. (However, I've been using this brush for months now and not had any buildup problems in the absence of styling products.) I'd be interested to know how people with wooden brushes clean off buildup, because I've definitely had icky gunk on brushes back when I was using styling products regularly.
    I think the handle of mine is plastic or somethign so it should be okay to get wet, how did you go styling product free? my hair is so frizzy and crazy without anything...lucky you
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

  4. #4
    Member Madora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California - SF Bay Area
    Age
    68
    Posts
    6,614
    Type
    2b/M/iii

    Default Re: How to clean a boar bristle brush

    I've always used a wire hair brush rake, like this:

    http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKim...onID=DC0001971

    Really gets in between the bristle clumps and the bristles themselves.

    After all the hairs have been removed, find a tall, deep plastic bottle and put in a small bit of shampoo plus 8 oz of warm water. Stir it thoroughly, then immerse your brush bristles ONLY (not the handle!) into the bottle and let sit for 7 minutes.

    Rinse thoroughly under cold running water.

    Shake out water and fan the bristles with your fingers several times to remove more water

    Wipe off all parts of the brush, then place it - bristles facing downward - on a lint free cloth. When dry, place it in a baggie or air tight box to keep out dust.

    A hairbrush should be kept as clean as possible. Wash it at least once a week. I wash mine every day with a nail brush and a bit of Neutrogena hand soap.

  5. #5
    Member Hollyfire3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,697
    Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

    Default Re: How to clean a boar bristle brush

    Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    I've always used a wire hair brush rake, like this:

    http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKim...onID=DC0001971

    Really gets in between the bristle clumps and the bristles themselves.

    After all the hairs have been removed, find a tall, deep plastic bottle and put in a small bit of shampoo plus 8 oz of warm water. Stir it thoroughly, then immerse your brush bristles ONLY (not the handle!) into the bottle and let sit for 7 minutes.

    Rinse thoroughly under cold running water.

    Shake out water and fan the bristles with your fingers several times to remove more water

    Wipe off all parts of the brush, then place it - bristles facing downward - on a lint free cloth. When dry, place it in a baggie or air tight box to keep out dust.

    A hairbrush should be kept as clean as possible. Wash it at least once a week. I wash mine every day with a nail brush and a bit of Neutrogena hand soap.

    Yay!, the boar bristle brush expert, just who i was hoping would help me. I was thinkign of all the wonerdul things you said about a boar bristle brush and realized i have one but it is dirty and has not been used in months, i think i will wash it and give it another try. What does a boar bistle brush do for the hair? Basics on how to use it? what can i expect?
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

  6. #6
    Member Madora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California - SF Bay Area
    Age
    68
    Posts
    6,614
    Type
    2b/M/iii

    Default Re: How to clean a boar bristle brush

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyfire3 View Post
    Yay!, the boar bristle brush expert, just who i was hoping would help me. I was thinkign of all the wonerdul things you said about a boar bristle brush and realized i have one but it is dirty and has not been used in months, i think i will wash it and give it another try. What does a boar bistle brush do for the hair? Basics on how to use it? what can i expect?
    Here's an article I just wrote about brushing with a pure bbb, plus some miscellaneous info about boar bristles.

    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=229

    Generally speaking, brushing your hair depends on detangling it first with a wide tooth comb, using the bbb properly, and being patient.

    Since your brush hasn't been used in a while, it might need more than one cleaning to get it clean.

    One more thing, I don't use any type of product on my hair when brushing -- before or afterwards. I prefer my brush to be as pristine as possible when I use it.




  7. #7
    Member Hollyfire3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,697
    Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

    Default Re: How to clean a boar bristle brush

    Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Here's an article I just wrote about brushing with a pure bbb, plus some miscellaneous info about boar bristles.

    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=229

    Generally speaking, brushing your hair depends on detangling it first with a wide tooth comb, using the bbb properly, and being patient.

    Since your brush hasn't been used in a while, it might need more than one cleaning to get it clean.

    One more thing, I don't use any type of product on my hair when brushing -- before or afterwards. I prefer my brush to be as pristine as possible when I use it.



    Thank you so much! I am excited to do somehting good to my hair after torchring it trying to fix it...i plan on not using an products while brushing, the build up is from before i knew what to do with this brush. How can you tell if it is a pure boar bristle brush?
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

  8. #8
    Member Madora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California - SF Bay Area
    Age
    68
    Posts
    6,614
    Type
    2b/M/iii

    Default Re: How to clean a boar bristle brush

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyfire3 View Post
    Thank you so much! I am excited to do somehting good to my hair after torchring it trying to fix it...i plan on not using an products while brushing, the build up is from before i knew what to do with this brush. How can you tell if it is a pure boar bristle brush?
    It usually states "pure boar bristle" or "100% natural bristle" on the brush..or the packaging that came with it.

    You can also tell by the feel..it definitely does not feel like any type of plastic.


  9. #9
    Member Hollyfire3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,697
    Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

    Default Re: How to clean a boar bristle brush

    Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    It usually states "pure boar bristle" or "100% natural bristle" on the brush..or the packaging that came with it.

    You can also tell by the feel..it definitely does not feel like any type of plastic.
    I do not remeber what the packaging said, i bought it nearly a year ago but have not really used it at all. I do not know what boar bristle feels like, if it helps this brush is conair and i think this is the one http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Wood-Br.../dp/B0051E38CM i just read though, it says it has nylon bristles also, can i still use it?
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

  10. #10
    Member Madora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California - SF Bay Area
    Age
    68
    Posts
    6,614
    Type
    2b/M/iii

    Default Re: How to clean a boar bristle brush

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyfire3 View Post
    I do not remeber what the packaging said, i bought it nearly a year ago but have not really used it at all. I do not know what boar bristle feels like, if it helps this brush is conair and i think this is the one http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Wood-Br.../dp/B0051E38CM i just read though, it says it has nylon bristles also, can i still use it?
    I don't recommend nylon..but its your hair. I've seen the damage wreaked by nylon and it wasn't pretty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •