Thread: Henna and Shampoo Bars?

Length
    28 in/28 in/N/A
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Henna and Shampoo Bars?

I have a question for you henna heads that I hope you can shed some light on . . .

I ordered a bunch of different shampoo bar samples from Chagrin Valley to see which one my hair likes best and something that I'm noticing is that while my virgin hair at the top seems to like it, my old dyed ends on the bottom half aren't as impressed. (I'm working on varying how I care for the ends . . .ACV rinse helps a lot to cut down on the velcro feel and a conditioner with cones put on my ends helps with the knotting and split ends.) My sister has also tried these shampoo bars and had a similar experience with her natural hair liking it, but her processed ends not liking it. (I'm currently testing the Honey, Egg, and Beer bar if you're curious)

Within the next week or so I'm going to be doing my first full henna application (strawberry blonde so the actual henna content will be far lower than a 100% henna application) and I'm a little curious as to whether or not henna hair will still like the shampoo bars like virgin hair or if the henna hair will react like processed hair? Has anyone with hennaed hair tried using shampoo bars? What were your results?

Thanks for your help!

Length
    12 in/15 in/30 in
    Type
    3c/F/iii

Default Re: Henna and Shampoo Bars?

My experience has been that my henna hair loves the CV bars! Before henna, my hair liked them exactly like yours does. I had virgin roots and chemical dyed length and ends. Once I started using henna, the CV bars worked better for my hair. And I only use a citric acid rinse after shampooing, no conditioners or cones. Once toweled dried I put a touch of avocado oil through my hair and I am good to go for a week! I use the ayuverdic (sp) bar from CV...

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Waist

My henna'd hair hates shampoo now. It feels like shampooing out fresh bleach x1000.
    However, I have no problems with shampoo bars.
    My hair was bleached/dyed all over(I also lighten roots now before each henna app)

I don't recall if I tried shampoo bars pre henna.

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I did a poll on this.

I have tried shampoo bars with dyed, bleached, hennaed and virgin hair. The only time it worked for me was with virgin hair.

However, I have not tried shampoo bars on just henna over virgin hair. My henna was done over old dyes or over bleach.

I would like to rehenna some day but at the moment I have a pixie and doing roots applications on a pixie is a pain. I'm also worried the shampoo bars won't work for me any more if I henna again.
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Oh, the humidity! woolyleprechaun's Avatar
    Length
    1inch/38/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Im not over the moon on using the CV bard on my henna, I find it fades it abit faster than anything else. BUT, with the bars I have to bicarb clarify every now and again, and I think that may contribute to it....