Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to Clean Mirror?

Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Possible to Clean Mirror?

Note to the Powers That Be: Please put this wherever it belongs; I haven't a clue!

I recently obtained a "vintage" hand mirror to replace the one I recently killed. Now, I knew "vintage" was taking a risk, but this was advertised as something her grandmother had put away in a dresser drawer and never used, still in its original box, etc. And it was, I'm sure.

Still, the mirror has "markings" on it from the satin lining of the box in which it languished for so long. It looks like it would be the easiest thing in the world to simply wipe them off! But, no, they don't come off and it makes the mirror cloudy enough that it's difficult/annoying to use. (

It's a beautiful vanity piece, came along with a brush which has another sad story, but I didn't want the brush, so it didn't matter. What I'd like to know is this: Anyone know of a way to polish this mirror? I've used Windex and I've used white vinegar and they didn't make any difference in it at all.

I'd like to be able to use this, for it's what I depend upon when doing my hair - the hand-held mirror reflecting the image on the bigger bathroom mirror....

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    46"/50"/Term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Possible to Clean Mirror?

I'll be watching the responses too... I bought a new dresser with a mirror on it a little over a year ago that had masking tape X-ed across it. It's cloudy where the tape used to be and I've had no luck getting rid of it.

Have you tried Goo Gone? I think I also read a suggestion to try olive oil somewhere (but it's been a while, so I might have that mixed up ).

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I know it sounds silly, but I've used a little toothpaste to polish a mirror that I got from my grandmother years ago. It took care of the stuff that was "aged" onto the glass (it had been in storage for YEARS and not packed properly).

The piece sounds lovely, Peggy. I hope you can get it cleaned up! All else fails, contact a glass shop to see what they suggest?
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    18/44/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

According to this article, and other hits I got with it seems that maybe the mirror needs to be re silvered.
    Lady Raederlhe of Chocolate Treasures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Tribute to the KL Knot Photos April Hairtool Challenge Photos
    Renegrays -swearing undyeing loyalty to the silver cause!

Length
    14/19.5/28
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

i would try clr or some other rust cleaner
    if that doesnt work cant you just get the mirror part replaced?

Length
    shldr/APL/Term

I bought a new dresser with a mirror on it a little over a year ago that had masking tape X-ed across it. It's cloudy where the tape used to be and I've had no luck getting rid of it.
    Hi Lea,
    Use some eucalyptus oil on a cotton ball. It will dissolve the sticky stuff. Then clean the eucalyptus off with some detergent/water. Easy fix.

Peggy,
    I'm not sure what to recommend for your problem, because I haven't come across it myself.

Length
    46"/50"/Term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsLady View Post
    Hi Lea,
    Use some eucalyptus oil on a cotton ball. It will dissolve the sticky stuff. Then clean the eucalyptus off with some detergent/water. Easy fix.
    It's not really sticky tape residue so much as a stain from where the tape used to be there (does that make sense)? If I run my finger across the line I can't feel anything there... it's just a teensy bit cloudy and just barely noticeable enough to see a faint "X".

If that sounds like something eucalyptus oil will work on though, I'd be willing to keep my eyes open for some.

Length
    14.5/16.75/32
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Isn't the aged patina of it beautiful though? I have some old and very spotted and marked up mirrors from my Dads house and I love how they look...aged.

Length
    shldr/APL/Term

Quote Originally Posted by LeaM07 View Post
    It's not really sticky tape residue so much as a stain from where the tape used to be there (does that make sense)? If I run my finger across the line I can't feel anything there... it's just a teensy bit cloudy and just barely noticeable enough to see a faint "X".

If that sounds like something eucalyptus oil will work on though, I'd be willing to keep my eyes open for some.
    It still sounds like residue to me.

I've just checked my "Spotless" book by Shannon Lush and she recommends methylated spirits for cleaning mirrors, just don't get it on the frame and use a lint free cloth (like an old t-shirt) not paper towel.

She also suggests eucalyptus oil or dry cleaning fluid for removing sticky adhesive residue from glass.

Shannon Lush is an antique restorer and is frequently on our local radio program helping people with their stain removal questions. She has two books out that I'm aware of - "Spotless" and "Speed Cleaning".

Length
    46"/50"/Term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsLady View Post
    It still sounds like residue to me.

I've just checked my "Spotless" book by Shannon Lush and she recommends methylated spirits for cleaning mirrors, just don't get it on the frame and use a lint free cloth (like an old t-shirt) not paper towel.

She also suggests eucalyptus oil or dry cleaning fluid for removing sticky adhesive residue from glass.

Shannon Lush is an antique restorer and is frequently on our local radio program helping people with their stain removal questions. She has two books out that I'm aware of - "Spotless" and "Speed Cleaning".
    Thanks, KnightsLady! Methylated spirits sounds (sound?) very promising. I'll give some of this a try!