Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CO-Washing- What kind of hair is it best suited for? Does it work for you?

Length
    22in/30in/36in
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default CO-Washing- What kind of hair is it best suited for? Does it work for you?

So I've been trying CO washing lately for about 2weeks(yea I know thats not a long time). I have stick straight hair, its fine but I have alot of it. My hair also shows oilyness faster then most other hair types I believe. I figured this would be really good for my hair compared to shampooing but I've been having to wash my hair almost everyday. Compared to once every 3/4 when I was washing with S&C. Does it take longer to "adjust" or is my hair type just not suited for CO? Do curlys fair better? How does it work for you? I'd love to hear people's experiences and oppinions.

Thanks!~

~Peace-Love-&&Happiness~

Length
    3/26/45
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: CO-Washing- What kind of hair is it best suited for? Does it work for you?

I tried it for a little while over the summer. My scalp and hair did not like it! It caused a major shed so I stopped. I think my hair is just too fine for it and it has a low porosity level, which means that products including the coatings that are in shampoos and conditioners just sit on top for the most part. I think that it clogged my pores on my scalp as well. I ended up getting occasional pimples on my scalp.
    Grow, grow grow........

Length
    16"/16"/32"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: CO-Washing- What kind of hair is it best suited for? Does it work for you?

I'm curly and frizzy dry dry dry - see profile pic taken before I started conditioner only. My hair is So Happy Now. I'm two weeks in and can really see and feel the difference. I have more damage to repair than I thought, and this is definitely the way to go.

Length
    BSL?/BSL/hip!
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I have curly hair! I tried CO last year for a month or two, but I honestly cannot remember that much about it. I must have liked it enough to do it for a month, but I DO remember that I stopped because I eventually got that "waxy" feeling. Probably it was buildup? My hair just ended up feeling limp.

Last night I tried it again, and even though I know it's better to give my scalp some time to re-adjust to new stuff, I had a pretty bad hair day today. I think I'll just stick with sulfate free shampoo, and cheap conditioner for now

I'd think that 2 weeks would be enough time for your scalp to adjust to COing so maybe it's just not for you. And it's totally ok to go back to shampoo! As long as you can recognize what you enjoy, and what feels good for your hair!
    ~ gypsymoth ~

My hair is almost exactly the same as yours, almost completely strait, fine but a "medium" amount (haha, not ALOT, but defiantly not lacking), and my hair can defiantly get oily quickly. I can say i have purposely stayed away from co washing, as my hair is just TOO oily for it. Yes, it was damaged, but it defiantly needs the cleansing of the shampoo. Infact i only put the conditioner on the ends of my hair and even squeeze the shampoo through my ends once I'm done with my roots. My hair is pretty nice and soft, and i only have to wash 1-2 times a week! Im not saying what works for my hair will work for you, but since we have similar hair i thought i'd add in my experiences anyway.

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

CO-washing works amazingly well for me; when I was using S&C I had to wash daily, and now I easily go 3-4 days between washes. I did not experience any kind of transition period when I switched to CO; I was immediately able to cut my washes to every other day. I hadn't intended to stretch my washes beyond that, but I just gradually found myself washing less frequently.

Quite a few fine-haired people I know have mentioned that CO-washing doesn't work for them, citing many of the same problems you mentioned. Perhaps CO is best for M-C hair?
    Last edited by luxepiggy; February 7th, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Length
    18"/26"/31"
    Type
    1c/F/i

My hair is also fine and fairly straight, and CO washing just doesn't work for me - it gunks up my hair and weighs it down, and my scalp tends to break out, too. My hair and scalp are much happier with a gentle S&C and careful handling. I wash my hair every other day, sometimes stretching to that third day, but by then I'm pretty oily - ewwww. I think there may be something to the idea that CO is best for hair of a medium texture, dry, curly. Any other thoughts?

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

My hair is fine and slightly wavy. CO washing didn't work for me at all. It made me shed a lot and my hair felt horrible.

Length
    chin/hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I have fine, slightly wavy hair and CO works wonders for me (I've been CO for around a year now). It's taken me a while to experiment with different conditioners and techniques, but these were the things that made my hair get properly clean with CO:

- diluting the "washing" conditioner
    - massaging the conditioner in really well, doing the back half of my head so that my hair's flipped to the front
    - rinsing really well.

CO can work for fine hair too - it may just be that it's more trial and error. I hope the above tips help!

ETA: oh, and I wash my hair around every 4 days now, sometimes stretching to 5.
    Last edited by Lippytoes; February 7th, 2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: adding info

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I really want to persevere with CO washing, as it does seem to be doing my hair lots of good, however I cannot wear it down after CO washing. It just won't sit right, and is almost too soft!
    Since starting COing, I have had far fewer spots on my face and scalp (back and chest too!) and my hair hasn't gotten greasy nearly as fast, but it clumps somehow, and feels sticky even though it isn't.
    It makes updo's much easier though, so I'm COing and wearing up most of the time, then (like this morning) using shampoo and conditioner for a single wash when I want to wear it down.
    I'm hoping that this sort of routine will allow me some flexibility in my routine, but still take the best care of my hair.

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!