Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CO-Washing- What kind of hair is it best suited for? Does it work for you?

Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: CO-Washing- What kind of hair is it best suited for? Does it work for you?

It works for me and I have thick, straight hair... I think it might be getting greasy a little faster though... I'm not sure... hmm!

Length
    22in/30in/36in
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: CO-Washing- What kind of hair is it best suited for? Does it work for you?

Thanks for all the feedback. It must be because I have fine oil-prone hair. All the posts about the shedding makes me cringe! I switched back to sulfate free shampoo && conditioner. I currently apply a tiny amount of cone conditioner to my ends and then cone free to my length. It works good for me because I don't oil or use leave ins. My hair definatly isnt suited for CO, but o well you live try and you learn! Looking forward to trying a couple of other methods too.

Length
    22in/30in/36in
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessCharlie View Post
    I have verrrry straight, fine but also very thick hair and for quite some time I thought CO wasn't working for even though I really wanted it to.
    My hair felt lank and looked greasy no matter how much I rinsed and massaged.

But then on a whim (I hadn't read about it on here even though I now see it on here!) I diluted the CO, halfway with water.

Eureka, suddenly my hair was clean and shiny but not squeaky and flyaway like it was with shampoo.
    I do use a clarifying sls free shampoo (Giovanni) every once in a while just because I want to avoid build up.
    The real key for me was the dilution and then making sure to let it sit at least 10 min and massage it really well twice during the 10 min.

I have to try this one of these days, mayby it'll work out. I was using V05 Kiwi Clarifying conditioner

Length
    flip/waist/class
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

I've started cowashing to counteract the effects of the very dry winter air up here in central Maine. My hair is MUCH softer and more moisturized now. I will probably use a sulfate-free shampoo once every other week to take care of any residual build-up, but that's not too big a deal. I also like that I can have 4 or 5 bottles of different types and scents of VO5 conditioner and NOT break the bank!
    Last edited by Rowan1980; February 12th, 2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: wayward comma

Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kattillac View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. It must be because I have fine oil-prone hair. All the posts about the shedding makes me cringe! I switched back to sulfate free shampoo && conditioner. I currently apply a tiny amount of cone conditioner to my ends and then cone free to my length. It works good for me because I don't oil or use leave ins. My hair definatly isnt suited for CO, but o well you live try and you learn! Looking forward to trying a couple of other methods too.
    I shed less with Co washing, and like crazy with shampoo. So it depends
    Waiting for waist

Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

I have mostly straight hair that curls slightly at the ends, but it is VERY thick. I'm half Puerto Rican so you can imagine just how thick is really is lol. I've been conditioner only for several months and I honestly won't go back to shampoo ever. I love it. Even when I need to clarify, I don't use shampoo. I just mix VO5 conditioner and baking soda to clarify. My hair is frizzy if I use shampoo so I'm really glad conditioner allows me to wash it and keep it so soft. It doesn't weigh down my hair. I oil my hair so eventually I do notice minor build ups but it's nothing baking soda can't solve. I slowly transitioned to conditioner washing. I started from sulphate free shampoo and cone free conditioner and eventually just used conditioner only. No real transitioning for me since my hair was used to being without cones for a while and my washes were already stretched by time I started. Just give it time and you will see great results. Straight hair works fine with it. I'm proof.

Follow my hair journey on tumblr
    http://jensnaturalhairjourney.tumblr.com/

Length
    Bob/SL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My hair is fine and slightly wavy and CO worked very well on my hair

Under the the stump of a wilderness spruce
    Length
    1"/CBL/WL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

When I tried co-washing, my hair became very dry. I used two different types of condish, the first one (Herbina Biodegradable Conditioner) was pretty nice to my hair, but the second one (Urtekram Rose Conditioner) was drying and my hair started to feel like straw. I might suggest this condish to someone who wanted to try CO-wash but was worried about greasiness - it might turn out that the condish is quite cleansing enough and might even need to be diluted. I diluted mine and my hair stopped being strawy, but after I had finished that bottle of condish I went back to WO.

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I've had to stop CO washing My hair was just getting unbearably limp, took ALL DAY to dry and felt kind of smooshy. I tried adding protien as I guessed it might be over moisturised, but that did nothing to help.

So I've switched to CWC washing, and WOW! its amazing, its like someone elses hair! I'm still only using diluted conditioner, for both conditioning parts (undiluted is too heavy for me, I've known this for years) and I've gone back to my old staple of Head and Shoulders Citrus shampoo (cos its what I had) and I love it! Before LHC, my hair would get greasy the day after washing, and would begin to smell on day 3. CO washing pushed that all along one day, but with CWC its another day!! i really hope this trend sticks! It also drys much faster now, just a couple of hours.

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

I also had to stop co-washing due to shedding, but I will say CWC totally saved my lengths. I feel like it's a good compromise between CO and an old fashioned shampoo and condition.