Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    12/?/WL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Question Help with tangles near nape of neck

This is driving me batty.

My hair looks thick but that's just because hair dye expands the shafts. It's actually thin and stringy. After a lifetime of being stick straight, my hair has decided to be wavy, especially underneath! Unfortunately, when I get even a little warm the hair at the nape of my neck becomes a tangled matted mess.

No amount of brushing or oiling seems to work. Even with a ponytail (it's not long enough to do much else) I get tangles because of the halo/baby hairs. Anyone else have this issue or have ideas on how to resolve it?

Mar 2011 to Jan 2012

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Default Re: Help with tangles near nape of neck

I get this, too. All the hair underneath at my nape is fine, and it knots at the drop of a hat. Oiling helps somewhat, but the best way I've found to deal with it if it's really a mess is to use a Tangle Teezer. It still takes a while to detangle, but it's much easier and less painful. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a way to stop it from knotting up in the first place.

Length
    SL/TBL/Class
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I get bad tangling at my nape too. I oil or put Shea butter on the hairs nearest my nape. It seems to weigh them down a bit and make them a little more slippery.

My hairs at my nape are much wavier than the rest of my hair is, just like you.
    May 2017
    Lady Rhoslynn Of Two Wheeled Thunder~Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16" ?/30"/thick
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Just curious--what is the fiber content of your clothing? Synthetic fibers, like polyester and acrylic, might tangle hair by promoting static.

Length
    29 in/29 in/29 in
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCrowned View Post
    Just curious--what is the fiber content of your clothing? Synthetic fibers, like polyester and acrylic, might tangle hair by promoting static.
    +1

Any chance of putting a shiny real silk scarf over your clothes? Less bad fabric is cotton otherwise. When you go out it's better to wear a leather jacket rather than a wool coat.

Length
    20/46/??
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

That's a really good point about the static! I only get the nape tangles in winter.

SL ... APL... BSL ... MBL ... WL ... TBL
    Lady Mentathiel of Mountain Song In the Order of Long-Haired Knights

Length
    18"/36"/37"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Arrrghh! My nape hairs are both a little dryer and kinkier! The tangles are usually a noticeable problem when wearing a braid. I really try to keep it up. Every time you move your head the hairs rub on my collar, or scarf, and tangle. Not always so easy to work out either. Plus, they can make my hair drape funny!
    Last edited by Delila; February 20th, 2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: removing hotlinked image
    New Blog 'Pinned Upsweeps' for my fine/thinnish/slippery updo problems

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I have this same mess. I think the only thing that's helping me is to let it grow. It seems like the more length it gets, the less it tangles. Ugh. Thank goodness that hair is underneath my canopy. It's so broken from tangles that it makes me want to cry.

Length
    15/30/40
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I use the Target brand of No More Tangles Detangler Spray for my tangles it has Water, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Sodium Benzoate, Dimethicone, Hydroxyethyl Behenamidopropyl Dimonium Chloride, Polysorbate 20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Trisiloxane, Ceteth 10, Laureth 4, But my hair loves it and it gets all the tangles out
    Currently at 29inches!!! MBL
    Goal is 40 inches which is Classic for me! I'm only 5'3''

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I get mats/tangles at the back of my neck when I wear a coat w/ a collar. These days, anytime I go out w/ a coat on, I bun my hair instead of wear it down or ponytail it & that wards off the mats.