Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with tangles near nape of neck

Length
    12/?/WL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Help with tangles near nape of neck

Quote Originally Posted by indiana View Post
    The only way I'm able to keep my nape tangle free is to keep my hair up. Using a coney conditioner on that area helps, but the main solution for me is to keep it up. If I wear a single braid down my back, it'll tangle. If I wear my hair down, forget about it - huge mats of tangles. Even at night time, it helps to keep it up in a bun on the top of my head.
    Thank you everyone who took time to reply! It's nice to know I'm not alone but it's sucks that others suffer through this. It seems that letting it grow and trying to keep it up may help but my problem may be that these are halo hairs.

Mar 2011 to Jan 2012

Length
    29 in/29 in/29 in
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCrowned View Post
    Just curious--what is the fiber content of your clothing? Synthetic fibers, like polyester and acrylic, might tangle hair by promoting static.
    +1

Any chance of putting a shiny real silk scarf over your clothes? Less bad fabric is cotton otherwise. When you go out it's better to wear a leather jacket rather than a wool coat.

Yep- I figured that there would be a threat or two on here about this, even if dormant.

I spent hours today getting out a *huge* snarl out of my little sisters hair... Mega thick hair compared to mine and the thing had been growing for months at her nape. After a good six hours, her scalp was pink and sore and we had a mass of hair about as big as a dinner plate (not kidding, unfortunately) but you can brush thru her hair, and cant tell that there was any loss.

Her response though "I'm never going to brush my hair again". Well have to see in the morning if shes changed her mind :/

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Yep. Keep your hair up and maybe use a little bit of product in that area to keep the baby hairs up and out of the way as well. On me, I use Kinky Curly Curling Custard....but use whatever's appropriate for your hair.

Nape tangling is the number one reason I've gradually started moving away from wearing my hair down. Tangle teezers are great for undoing the mess, but it still takes a long time and I'm not willing to do that on a regular basis.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyCap View Post
    ..... Tangle teezers are great for undoing the mess, but it still takes a long time and I'm not willing to do that on a regular basis.
    Oh, yes! My tangle teezer saved the day here

Length
    short/hip/???

Here's a cheater's solution/workaround which works for me: sometimes when I wear my hair down I'll braid the hair at the nape of my neck into tiny braids! Think the "padawan braids" that the Jedi Padawans wear in Star Wars. If I wear a few accent braids around face or something as well, it looks totally intentional and not at all as if I'm desperately trying to ward off the tangles