Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shikakai?

Length
    Shldr/Hip/?
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

Question Shikakai?

Apologies if there's a thread on this already, but I couldn't see one, so - has anyone here used shikakai? If so, what sort of results have you had? Has it helped anyone's hair get thicker?

I've heard it can be very drying and that it's better to use either more diluted than the instructions direct or mixed with something more conditioning like amla - I'd love to hear of any methods that have worked for you!

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

yep, VERY drying. Sucked the life outta my hair! (exaggeration)
    If i were a 20day grease ball with EVOO added on top it would get through it!!!
    Its a great cleaning herb, so dont let anyone tell you that lather only cleans!!!!!!
    The best 2 most commen herbs for hair is shikakai and amla used together. The ratio depends on how clean you want it.

Also, strain it first unless you want to be rinsing it out for hours (may be just me...but the gritty bits make my hair mad.)

i do continue to use them though. Oh and an odd fact- i sneeze everytime i use shikakai, it is very peppery!
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Melein View Post
    Apologies if there's a thread on this already, but I couldn't see one, so - has anyone here used shikakai? If so, what sort of results have you had? Has it helped anyone's hair get thicker?

I've heard it can be very drying and that it's better to use either more diluted than the instructions direct or mixed with something more conditioning like amla - I'd love to hear of any methods that have worked for you!
    Usually hair is oiled before being washed with shikakai or aritha. I use shikakai in a mix with both amla and several other herbs such as neem, bringradj, lotus, hibiscus. There is a bit of trail and error needed to figure out what amount is best for you. A bit more if you have oily hair, less if dry. I've used shikakai alone on very heavily oiled hair and that was fine. Just make sure not to scrub hair with the mud that is damaging. Put it in and let it sit for a bit. then rinse off.

As to the effect. I've been using herbs only for more than a year now. There was a decrease in shedding for me. Thickness I'm not sure on as I have post big shed regrowth from before switching to herbs. One definite effect for me is that my hair became wavier. It went up a classifier.

There is a link in my signature to the article on this topic. It contains some recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_teesha View Post
    Also, strain it first unless you want to be rinsing it out for hours (may be just me...but the gritty bits make my hair mad.)

i do continue to use them though. Oh and an odd fact- i sneeze everytime i use shikakai, it is very peppery!
    I just deal with the grit and rinse very well. The stuff comes out better when hair is in free-float in a basin. I have not been able to get it to work in tea/ strained form. Plus the powder I have is very fine, it doesn't strain well.

Heh, didn't notice the pepperiness but when I'm mixing the herb powders I'm sneezing a lot too. Some of the powder are especially prone to puffing out a cloud of tiny particles. I get to cough that out if I breathe deeply at the same time. I've learned my lesson to try to hold my breath a bit when measuring the stuff out after the first couple of times.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Herb user/hair origamist icydove's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/ii

I use shikakai in a tea I use to wash my hair. I use 2 tablespoons of shikakai and 2 tablespoons of amla mixed in 4 cups of water. I strain it right before using. I find it makes my hair very slippy. I do apply a pre-wash coconut oiling. It has not caused any darkening nor has it affected my thickness.
    Wash: shikakai and amla tea, Condition: hibiscus and elderflower tea with honey
    Leave-in: aloe vera gel and apricot kernel oil, Extras when needed: coconut oil and shea butter

Length
    Shldr/Hip/?
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

Interesting! I oil regularly but usually only on my ends and when I'm trying to stretch the time between washes, I never would have thought of oiling before a herb wash. Sounds like a good idea, though - as does the straining, as I have the feeling I wouldn't be able to get rid of all the grit easily.

I think I'll definitely give it a try - I'm planning to order a lot of hair goodies online at the end of the month, and hopefully I'll be able to get some then and let you know how my hair likes it. Thanks for your replies - it's really encouraging to know that others have had positive experiences - and good to know what problems to watch out for as well.

Length
    SL/APL/WSL

I always use 1 part shikakai and 2 parts amla so its not drying @ all.

Length
    2"/10"/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I oil before using shikakai. My hair is not dry at all. In fact, it is so smooth and soft that I have actually had to wonder if I was losing hair! My hair used to be so frizzy and puffy that my husband could not run his fingers through it. Now it seems like it belongs to someone else. Wavy, not frizzy. Possibly faster growth even. (??)

I don't use amla. I have used an amla oil but think it caused extra shedding, so I stopped. What I do use is this: pre oil with coconut. Then take about 1 T of shikakai and 1 T of Neem powder in about a quart of water. No boiled water. Just cold filtered. I "wash" by standing out on my deck and pouring the cold tea onto my pre-oiled hair and scalp. I live in a very hot area. Wrap it up and go about my business for about ten minutes before shower. Then I rinse, and condition with a no-cone conditioner.

I do about twice per week. My hair is SO NOT DRY anymore. For the first time in my life.
    Maybe it's the amla, not the shikakai that dries out hair......
    Just my two cents.....

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Beesweet View Post
    I oil before using shikakai. My hair is not dry at all. In fact, it is so smooth and soft that I have actually had to wonder if I was losing hair! My hair used to be so frizzy and puffy that my husband could not run his fingers through it. Now it seems like it belongs to someone else. Wavy, not frizzy. Possibly faster growth even. (??)

I don't use amla. I have used an amla oil but think it caused extra shedding, so I stopped. What I do use is this: pre oil with coconut. Then take about 1 T of shikakai and 1 T of Neem powder in about a quart of water. No boiled water. Just cold filtered. I "wash" by standing out on my deck and pouring the cold tea onto my pre-oiled hair and scalp. I live in a very hot area. Wrap it up and go about my business for about ten minutes before shower. Then I rinse, and condition with a no-cone conditioner.

I do about twice per week. My hair is SO NOT DRY anymore. For the first time in my life.
    Maybe it's the amla, not the shikakai that dries out hair......
    Just my two cents.....

Ok, 2 things.....

Firstly, faster growth?? Really?! That would be great! I know it's often said on indian haircare websites to be good for growth.

The other thing is the Alma, as it was an oil you used then most oils you get, especially in indian grocers are made with mineral oil (i mean the amla oils here). I find mineral oil makes my hair awful even if its only an ingredient, so Amla might work for you afterall if you got one made with coconut or sesame oil or used the actual powdered Amla. I found it moisturising myself.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Mira-chan - hehe ,that's what i do now. But shikaikai seems to be the one i am most likely to sneeze with! I'm going to wash with shikakai tonight or tommorow morning. i want that clean scalp feeling!!!
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?