Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    MBL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Default Henna - thinning hair???

Last night I did my 2nd henna/henna gloss
    It turned out wonderfully, some reddish tones on chestnut hair...and wonderful shine and softness ( thanks to EVOO and argan oil and conditioner)..

I met a friend, with my hair still wet and first she complimented the smell of henna but then she said how it thins out hair...making individual hairs even thinner, that it is used by people with unrly thick and coarse hair to make it finer and more manageable
    It's the first time I've heard something like that about henna.
    I told her it's not true, quite the opposite, it makes hair stronger and kind of thicker, might loosen curls though.
    She then said that I'm wrong, and I'm the example...my hair apparently used to be very thick and with much volume and now is thin and flat. That comment had me shocked.
    First of all, it's not even full henna but more like henna gloss, I use Lush henna...which makes it even milder. It instantly makes my hair not tangly...and I already have super fine hair...any finer than that would be not existant, and I'm sure it makes it less fine...

Also..It hasn't lost any volume.. I am pretty sure I'm solid iii now, due to no shedding (at least until spring shed), I've been very fluffy lately, might even post pics..
    What was that comment for
    Perhaps my hair was still wet and appeared flat....

She got me scared for a moment...

Anyone heard such things about henna??
    LadyArasinya, Protector of the Forest Heart Stag in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Henna - thinning hair???

No, like you I've heard the opposite, that Henna makes hair thicker and that it can relax curl (which might be where she got the idea of 'thinning')

Sounds to me like either your friend felt like she couldn't back down or admit she might have been wrong about henna thinning or else she was comparing your still wet hair to dry as you said.

Personally I certainly haven't noticed any thinning and since I'm a border line ii heading for i I think I'd notice. I wouldn't let it bother you especially if you haven't noticed a difference.

IDK why she said it but it isn't true. I have fine hair, even if not baby fine, the individual hairs were a bit coarses when I used henna. I just noticed it recently. Your friend can't possibly say it from her own experience (?) and assumes something about things she doesn't know.

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Totally untrue. Henna makes each individual hair thicker and stronger. I use it myself and the difference (I have fine hair) is very obvious.
    There are so many misconceptions about henna, but this was one I hadn't heard before!

Length
    shldr/shldr/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii

well may be she is talking about the hair that is fluffy (frizzy ...) before using henna and then the hair will look less fluffy (less frizzy) or thinner (like the terms she used)
    Henna makes the hair smoother, less frizzy IMO which may look thinner for a person who have unruly frizzy hair
    Henna is amazing, if henna would be colorless I would use it every day, LOL

I have very damaged hair from hair extensions, permanent hair straightening and chemically dyes, just started to take care of my hair recently, Dec.2011

Length
    SL/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

It has made my hair thinner... but thinner as in my hair isn't an unmangeable frizzy poofy mess . It's now smooth waves and curls, I did have a big shed after I started using henna but I think it was from a big combo of reason's other than just henna.

Length
    15 in/18 in/35 in
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I also have fine thinner hair and I feel that henna helps make it thicker. I would go by your personal experience then what your friend said.
    Enjoyed chin length for awhile but my hair sticks are calling!
    ................................Time to Grow!.

Henna can make hair smoother and more flat, but it will also be heavier. It definately doesn't make the hair thinner but it may give the appearance of more sleek hair.

Length
    MBL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Of course I will trust my own experience more, and things I hear from you, who have much experience with henna, rather than someone who is just guessing and spreading some old rumours
    Thank you for input, I love reading about henna impressions, as I'm very new to this!
    LadyArasinya, Protector of the Forest Heart Stag in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

With henna you will hear all kinds of stories, lots of those being horror stories. This goes with anything, ask 50 people and get 50 answers. Myself personally can only speak of greatness from henna. I love it and will continue to use it forever. I suffered from thinning hair due to I do not have a thyroid and had to seek natural alternatives to hair care. Henna was one of those choices and it has improved my hair in so many ways shine, the thinning is back to normal and the color is awesome. I get so many compliments and I do it myself and it is inexpensive and good for my hair....WIN WIN WIN