Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with my wurls

Length
    12/30/50
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Default Frustrated with my wurls

Okay, so I have extremely unruly, wacky, and untamable lion's mane hair. It is very thick, and course, with 2c wurls. I have several problems.

I got my hair layered back in November--very bad decision. Now, the top layer, ear length, is pretty much straight, because it's not long enough to curl. And the other layers make the hair on one side of my head curlier than the other side! I'd like my hair to have even, loose spirals, but this isn't happening at the moment

My hair is also very dry. I can deep condition my hair, and two days later it will be dry again! My wurls are sooooo super thirsty!

So, those things being said, i'd like some advice from you LHC curl experts (and by experts I mean anyone who knows anything about curls, because i know nothing!) on a few things.

1. What can I do to make my wurls more even while my layers grow out?

2. Will giving my hair the moisture it needs boost and define curls?

3. If so, what moisturizing treatments would you recommend?

4. Is there any way I can push my 2c hair more towards being 3a?

5. Would a leave-in conditioner be benefitial for my hair? If so, which have you had the most success with?

6. Is CO washing a good method of washing for 2c hair?

7 (last one, I promise!). What is the BEST thing I can do to care for my wurls?

Thank you all soo very much in advance for all your tips and advice!! I'm clueless about wurls and curls, since I always thought my hair was just wavy! Haha, now I know better! Anyway, thanks again for taking time to read this! All of you LHC-er's rock!

Length
    Pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Frustrated with my wurls

Hi, Sunny Elf! I am growing out coarse wurls as well. I'm at mid neck length right now and I have come close to chopping it all back out of frustration with the tangles, dryness and cowlicks. But it can get better! I think, anyway. Sometimes no matter what I do I have terrible dry, unruly hair days. But probably everyone does. I'll take a crack at your questions to see if can help you with some of the stuff I've learned over the last year.
    First though, let me tell you that my hair is 2C, coarse, thick, extremely protein sensitive and prone to frizz on my crown. I have also found that my hair does not do as well with straight oils (perhaps related to protein insensitivity and living in a dry climate) as it does with oil/moisture combinations. I think it's important to know your hair along these lines so you can best respond to its needs.

If you are willing to do this, a trim from a trusted stylist who specializes in curly hair can make a HUGE difference. My new stylist, who I just a got a cut from, trims my wurls at the point along the S-curve where they turn inwards. This keeps them from sticking out and makes my hair look more evenly curly all over.

I think so, yes!

I really like SMTs made with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. The GVP conditioning balm from Sally's Beauty is also AMAZING. Curly Junkie's curl rehab treatment (http://www.curljunkie.com/Moisturizi...y-p/crmhts.htm) is one of the most amazing conditioning treatments I have ever used. It's very expensive, but a little goes a long way. All of these are protein-free because I respond well to protein free treatments. I think it's worthwhile to cut protein out of your routine for a week or so to see if this makes your hair softer and more defined. I have bad luck with straight oils as DT's (I need more humectants), but light daily oilings are beneficial.

Scrunching and plopping can help to encourage waves. When my hair is ultra-conditioned it is wavier than it is when it's dried out so maybe your hair just needs lots more moisture to make it curl up. Leave in styling aids such as gels can hold waves in a curlier state. But probably the best thing to do is to accept your hair texture as it is. It will be healthiest this way.

5. Would a leave-in conditioner be benefitial for my hair? If so, which have you had the most success with?
    Leave-ins have helped me with frizz and floof. Shea Moisture curl and style milk is wonderful and available at Target. Leave-in stylers such as Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle has a light hold and moisture which keeps my waves from falling or floofing during the day or while I sleep.

I CO wash a few times a week with once weekly non-sulfate shampoos to remove residue. I like it a lot! But I have to use protein-free condishes or I get extremely dried out over time.

Love them of course! And lots of moisture. Best of luck!

Length
    chin/APL/MBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Try to deep condition with youghurt. Just apply it on dry hair, wrap it, and let it sit for 1-2 hours. You should get pretty soft moisturized culrs after you wash your hair after the treatment. Also, you might already know this, but don't brush your hair. Use only a wide tooth comb to detangle, or better yet, your fingers.

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

All i can say is : Amla oil..
    Good for curls and moisture
    I'm in the same boat of trying my 2c to be 3a all the time.. Only in summer unfortunately without too much effort..
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

You need the length for the wurls to do their thing. Your shortest layer is probably just shy of being long enough to make a complete "s". Keep growing and scrunching and you should find that your hair gets back to normal in about 6 months. I know that sounds like a long time but it's really not too long.

Length
    12/30/50
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Thanks for all of your tips, guys! I can't wait to try them!

Avital88, I've looked at Amla Oil before, but i've read that Amla makes your hair darker. is that true?

julliams, Yeah, that makes sense. I'll just have to be patient and wait till my hair can make complete spirals. But my hair grows fast, so I won't have a terribly long time to wait. (Unless i'm checking the length every other day, in which case, a few months can turn into an eternity!)

Length
    APL19/WSL28/HIP32
    Type
    3c/4a/C/iii

Honestly, not sure. Maybe plopping

Yes, always

My hair is coarse too so it's hard to keep it moisturized. Here's a link to my blog entry about hair treatments that work on my hair: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=90353

Plopping with a little conditioner left in it.

Use whatever conditioner makes your hair feel amazing. Rinse most of it out and leave a little in. Honestly Yes to Carrots is the only condi that has ever made my hair feel soft. Usually my hair just wants to feel rumpled but it makes me hair so soft and smooth. And at the price (like $5 for a large bottle) it's worth it to me.

A lot of people love it. But a lot of people love CWC better. I used to CO and my hair LOVED it. But my scalp didn't. I have dandruff period, and it just made my hair more dandruffy and itchy. I find CWC works a bit better. I use a cheapie conditioner to start with, shampoo my scalp with a Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bar (which has made a HUGE difference in my hair as well), rinse, and then use Yes to Carrots. That way my scalp is happy, I have less buildup on my strands, and my hair likes me.

Listen to them. Figure out what they want to do and do it. After that, I would say lots of moisture. Rich conditioners (like Yes to Carrots), using oils (I prefer olive oil) and butters (like cocoa and shea.) A note on oils: coconut oil can act as a protein, thickening up your hair strand a bit. I prefer not to use coconut oil because I don't want coarser hair, just softer. And coarser hair is harder to make soft. I generally stay away from protein except for monthly hennas. A lot of people on this forum stay away from cocoa and shea but I think it's mainly because most folks here have Medium to Fine hair. As I'm sure you know, it's hard to weigh down Coarse hair or overload it with moisturizers. A dime size of cocoa or shea melted between your palms and run through your hair is amazing. It tames frizz, adds shine and defines curl. It also locks in moisture and prevents breakage.

CURRENTLY: waist straight (28") GOAL: waist braidwaves (35")

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Let me share my two cents on coarse hair...

I also have your kind of hair but i've yet to find solutions to the problems listed above...I'll only tell you the stuff i learned so far.

First off, i found out that protein is a big NO-NO. Whenever I used anything with protein in it, my hair became stiff like needles.

Moisture is your friend. I cannot manage to keep moisture in for longer than 2 hours, but it feels good while it lasts. Right now i'm experimenting with the mineral oil as they say it locks the moisture in hair pretty well.

I had major success with wet-setting methods. Thanks to our 2c coarse type we can pull wavy styles very well. There are tons of different methods to choose from; don't let the velcro rollers scare you away

That's all for now hope it helps...

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

I was going to mention plopping as well. It should work well at your length.

As for leave-in conditioners, you don't need to buy a special brand or anything--just use your regular conditioner. It works.

❀☾ⓟᵃᵑᵈᵒᴿᵃ ℒᵒᵑᶢᶩᵒᶜᵏᶳ☽❁ princessp's Avatar
    Length
    27"/39"/42"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Ugh, I sort of feel the same way right now. CO didn't really work for me, but CWC did, leave ins, and when you don't want to deal with it just braid it wet (after you wash) and leave it in braids as long as you can! Good luck.
    Pandora LongLocks of the Forbidden Treasure in the Order of the Long Haired Knights