Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will sleeping with a hat on make hair grow faster?

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Can sleeping with a hat on increase hair growth?

I've been reading about the greenhouse effect for hair (applying oils to the scalp, massaging before bed, and sleeping with a shower cap/hat on to trap heat) to increase growth, and it seems promising. However, it's simply too labour intensive for me, no way will I be able to wash my hair in the morning.

I wash my hair about every 4 days, so it's got some natural oils, and I also oil my hair/scalp regularly. If I wrap my hair in a silk scarf and then wear a beanie hat overtop every night while sleeping, will this mimic the benefits of the GHE? I'm still trapping heat, and I've got some oil on my scalp...

Has anyone every tried this?

Btw, the hat and scarf tied around my head are very breathable and comfortable, not suffocating/restricting at all.
    Last edited by blondie9912; January 20th, 2012 at 11:40 PM.

Banned
    Length
    AP/MB/TB
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Will sleeping with a hat on make hair grow faster?

Hmmm. I've heard of heat sealing in moisture, but not making hair grow faster. But, I guess the only way to know for sure is to give it a try!

Length
    3 in/thigh/knee
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

From what I know, no scientific studies have proved this correlation between heat and hair growth.

Oh, the humidity! woolyleprechaun's Avatar
    Length
    1inch/38/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I have heard that heat and growth MAY be connected, but theres nothing solid to go on. Most of the idea stems from the fact that many people find their hair grows faster in the summer, and women in hotter countries tend to have a faster growth rate. There could be THOUSANDS of different factors in these findings, and nothing official has been found. The scalp massage is bound to help though

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

If anything I immagine extra heat would increase circulation to the scalp which would in turn increase growth. Not sure if there's any truth to it but it would be an interesting expirement to try.
    There are two types of people in the world; those who play to win and those who play not to lose.

Length
    23.5/31.5/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Interesting concept, but considering it is the middle of a hot summer here and my growth has stalled for about a month now, I'm not sure it would help me.

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

for the green house effect you must wear a plastic cap/bag on your hair then a scarf or a hat or nothing at all (the plastic cap is the one that traps heat produced from your body and creates the warm environment, the others are just extra)
    I have been doing this for a while twice aweek after I heavy oil my hair and scalp. I didn't keep track of the growth but I feel like I get better results with oil treatments or deep conditioners this way. It is also pretty amazing if you use a solid oil like coconut which usually freezes on my hair during the winter and makes it crunchy without absorbing at all. but with the green house effect, the heat helps keep it liquid and therefore works better.
    Some people do this without any products at all and it works just fine. supposedly, it increases moisture levels similar to a steam treatment, but I never tried it on dry hair so I can't really tell how true is that.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I do think your theory maybe possible, it might just be coincidence but I get my fastest growth in winter and here in the North West of England we have some bitter weather. I am never seen outside without my hat on, its way too cold to go without but I do get faster growth.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

I sleep in a fleece nightcap in winter just to keep warmer (our thermostat is autoset down to 50 F at night). I doubt it affects my growth rate, but I don't pay attention that closely.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I know in the humid summer months my hair seemed to grow faster. I did oil my hair a lot too but I think it could be due to the heat.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com