View Poll Results: Is there a connection between fringe and dandruff?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have fringe and dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis

7 10.61%
  • I have fringe but do not have dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis

17 25.76%
  • I do not have fringe but do have dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis

21 31.82%
  • I do not have fringe or dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis

12 18.18%
  • I have string cheese but no swiss cheese

9 13.64%

Thread: Fringe and dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis

Length
    37/32/32
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Fringe and dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis

I've tried to grow out my fringe and it just won't grow. It occurred to me that there might be a connection between it and dandruff(which I struggle with). So I thought it called for a poll! Here goes...
    On to knee with trepidation
    ~But the very hairs of your head are all numbered- The Bible~

Length
    bsl/chin/tlb
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Fringe and dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis

I used to have fringe and didn't have dandruff but they were constantly greasy so I grew em out but I still don't have issues with dandruff. Sorry if that isn't helpful =/ But I have heard that castor oil can help with dandruff, so maybe massage some into your fringe. I know massages can help with grow too, so it's like two birds with one stone!

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I don't have a fringe (or dandruff), but when I use to have a fringe, it was always oily (darn oily face ). My mum has a fringe, and also has seborrheic dermatitis/soriasis (sp?) or something that causes major scaliness of scalp. She has had it since she was a teenager and stopped drinking raw milk. Don't know if there's a connection...

Type
    1b/M/ii

I should answer:
    I do not have fringe or dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis

But I used to have a fringe AND used to a have dry, itchy flakey scalp. And yes, I had trouble growing a decent amount of hair on my hairline too, probably because of all the scratching and scarring. Changing my routine helped and now all my hair is growing in full.

Length
    -/%/+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I do not have a fringe but I do have a problem scalp. I use a Selsun Blue knock-off and T-Gel knock-off in rotation with my other shampoos. Works great, even though I dilute them like any other 'poo.

ETA: I also wouldn't think having a fringe would be the problem, itself. The problem is the scalp, not the cut.
    Last edited by clichepithet; January 21st, 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Lady Legion of the Legendary Black Beast of Castle Aaughh;
    Order of the Long Hair'd K'nnnniggits

Length
    17.5"/18.5"/37
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I have had SD for a long time now (diagnosed when I was in my early teens), and my hair goes through growth spurts/stalls like everybody else. I don't think there's much of a correllation, whether I have bangs cut in or not. If the symptoms themselves bother you, though, I've found that eliminating sugar & refined foods from my diet seems to help the itchiness. Pyrithione zinc shampoos have helped me in the past, and I know a lot of people find relief using Tea Tree shampoos.

It's been suggested on the boards that Monistat may make people's hair grow faster because it's an antifungal, so it kills the yeasties that are making the dandruff/SD and keeping your follicles oppressed. But I think the scientific studies on Monistat have shown that it doesn't significantly increase hair growth.

Lady Ilmatar, Keeper of the Magical Menagerie, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    37/32/32
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Moor_tu_lyfe View Post
    My mum has a fringe, and also has seborrheic dermatitis/soriasis (sp?) or something that causes major scaliness of scalp. She has had it since she was a teenager and stopped drinking raw milk.
    Interesting, I drink raw milk all the time so I guess that's "cure" that won't work for me

Quote Originally Posted by RitaPG View Post
    But I used to have a fringe AND used to a have dry, itchy flakey scalp. And yes, I had trouble growing a decent amount of hair on my hairline too, probably because of all the scratching and scarring. Changing my routine helped and now all my hair is growing in full.
    Yup, that's me. I guess I'll have to clear it up then wait a few years to see if mine fringe grows out or not.

Quote Originally Posted by clichepithet View Post
    I use a Selsun Blue knock-off and T-Gel knock-off in rotation with my other shampoos.
    Hm, I haven't tried the selsun because of the expense but knowing I could dilute it makes it more appealing...
    Quote Originally Posted by YesitsReal View Post
    If the symptoms themselves bother you, though, I've found that eliminating sugar & refined foods from my diet seems to help the itchiness. Pyrithione zinc shampoos have helped me in the past, and I know a lot of people find relief using Tea Tree shampoos.
    Yes, the symptoms bother me. I noticed that eliminating sugar etc helps but it hasn't cleared it up completely. The zinc doesn't do much for me long term and last time I used it it burned my scalp . I've tried tea tree also. It helps. I guess I'm looking for something that will take care of it forever But will keep with the tea tree since it helps and doesn't hurt
    On to knee with trepidation
    ~But the very hairs of your head are all numbered- The Bible~

I'm not formally diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I have it, as I seem to have inherited all my mom's skin issues. I recently gave up shampoo in favor of soap/acid rinses, and it's less itchy. I still get the oilies and lots of dead skin, though even though my leave-in only goes on the lower 2/3 of my hair. I haven't had bangs for 10 years.