Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Regarding Scalp Washing

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Question Regarding Scalp Washing

Hi. I've recently started doing scalp washes to try to save the length from so much detangling. I'm wondering if I need to add anything to the length in between washing it such as more leave-in or serum, or oil? Does what's on there wear off, or anything? Should I just go by how it feels?
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Question Regarding Scalp Washing

I put oil in my hair after I wash it, I find it does help my hair- but then again I have dry hair.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

What I meant was this - after I wash it, I have been putting a serum in it to try to help with tangles. Do I need to add more of it during the time before I wash it again?
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I've been washing only my scalp for over a year now - any length that gets washed is just due to runoff. I've tried oiling and found that my hair just can't take that much. It gets lank and stringy very quickly. Most of the time I just water- or baking soda-wash the scalp and condition from the nape of my neck down and that's enough to keep it soft until the next time I shower. My hair is relatively curly, though.

If I feel like having it be wavier/straighter, I will use a serum after I wash and, occasionally in between washes whenever I feel like it needs a little refresh. Right now I'm using an "argan oil treatment" from DermOrganic which I kind of felt conned into buying because I thought it was actual argan oil, not a cone BUT, it smells great and my hair really seems to like it. So whatever works!
    Lady Eruaistaniel, Wanderer of Ricketts Glen, in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    ~ Mark Twain

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

The problem with adding product like oil or serum on dry hair is that it is not sealing in any moisture since the hair is dry. Adding occlusive products (products that seal moisture in) over dry hair is likely to lead to crunchy ends. However, if the ends are a bit damp, then using a little bit should be fine.

However, if you're adding some sort of product that has humectants, which absorb moisture from the air, then it should be fine. However, if the air is dry, then humectants will draw moisture out of the hair and will dry out your hair even more.

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I have to use the lightest oil I can find and mix it with water and mist it onto my ends. But this really only works well if I'm not planning on wearing my hair down at all. If I want to wear my hair down and have it look nice (and not like stringy rats' tails) I do a full wash with cones. Yes, I cheat, but I like it .

The misted camellia oil + water is good for about a day and a half in updos. But eventually, especially in the winter, I have to re-apply. However, this usually means I feel like I need to wash the ends more regularly because the oil tends to attract fluff, dirt, the odd bit of dandruff, etc.

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I figured if I added more serum I would have to wet the hair first. I thought maybe brushing, fingercombing, etc. would remove some of it over time.

2b-F-ii

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by UP Lisa View Post
    I figured if I added more serum I would have to wet the hair first. I thought maybe brushing, fingercombing, etc. would remove some of it over time.
    If ever I add oil or serum in between washes I put a few drops in the palm of my hand, rub them together, and lightly run my hands down the length of my hair on either side. The only difference is whether I'm curly or straight (wavy). If I'm going curly I will lightly spritz my hair with a water bottle right after to bounce some life back into the curls. If I'm going wavy/straight, I will brush with a BBB to distribute a little better.
    Lady Eruaistaniel, Wanderer of Ricketts Glen, in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    ~ Mark Twain

Length
    waist/TB/long

You don't need to add anything to the length of your hair when you scalp-only wash, as you are not removing anything to begin with. Conditioners, serums, etc., are mostly needed to replace moisture that one removes from the hair by washing.

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You don't need to add anything to the length of your hair when you scalp-only wash, as you are not removing anything to begin with. Conditioners, serums, etc., are mostly needed to replace moisture that one removes from the hair by washing.
    For the most part I find that to be true but the older my ends get, the more they need tending to, scalp washes or not! But you're right, there certainly is less need to oil between full washes.