Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil makes my hair smell?

Length
    Chin/SL/Tlbne

Default Coconut oil makes my hair smell?

The other day, I put coconut oil all over my hair before I washed my hair with shampoo. My hair came out nice and soft, however, my mum told me that my hair smells "waxy" and my dad said it smells wierd. What can I do about it? How can I make it smell nice?

Length
    4/Tailb/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Coconut oil makes my hair smell?

You cna try adding essential oils to it or spritzing with rosewater. I htink people are too used to commercial frangrance oils and think anythign else is wierd. I was told by my DD friend I smeel like a "Hippy" and now that she has dumped commercial prodcts he told her she smeels like one too! My DD has noticed however that since dropping commercial shampoos and condish she has less BO!
    Lady Morla, Keeper of the Songs of the Celtic Wind of the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Well, I haven't experienced that, I wish I could be more help. I use oil shampoo, where you mix coconut oil 50/50 with shampoo and use that to wash your hair, and I've never noticed my hair smelling weird at all, and neither has my FH. It honestly doesn't smell like anything, at all. Then again, that might be because my shampoo is so mildly scented. Maybe something in the shampoo stuck to your hair when you used the CO? What does your shampoo smell like?
    BALDPIXIECHINSHOULDERAPLBSLWAISTHLTL
    Henna enhanced auburn-haired girl

Length
    3 in/thigh/knee
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

I used to deep-condition before with coconut oil. My hair did not exactly smell "waxy", but slightly like coconut oil. Still, the scent that remained was very slight and not disturbing. I'm not sure if I can be of much help here. I'm thinking that you probably have not rinsed the oil very well out of your hair or placed too much of it? Or it could be just that you have to get used to the different smell (i.e. coconut oil smell) because it can stay a little depending on your shampoo, conditioner and scalp.

Struggling in Brave New World with vacations to Neverland
    Length
    SL/SL/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Morla View Post
    I think people are too used to commercial fragrance oils and think anything else is weird. !
    I agree! I'm so used to the "commercial fragrances", I think everything from natural cosmetic lines smells weird. By the way, I don't like the smell of virgin coconut oil. And, one time I apparently left something on my brush and it smelled so horribly rancid I didn't get it out and threw the brush away. I like the smell of almond oil. And castor oil is fine as well, in my opinion.
    No in 2012, intermediate goal: BSL

Length
    SL/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

When I first started using oil I did have a rancid lotion smell in my hair that I hated. But sine I had a jar of the oil I couldn't waste money by throwing it in the trash, I got used to the smell and I don't notice it anymore and I'm on my 3-4 jar of oil.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/35"/55"
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I actually like the smell of coconut oil.

You could try cocoveda oil. I think it smells really good after you let it sit for a little while.

Another thing I've done is spritz my favorite perfume onto a brush, so when I'm brushing, my hair will smell a bit more like perfume.

Usually, when I'm washing out heavy oils, I use a conditioner that smells good, like some of Suave's Naturals line. (I love wild cherry blossom!!)

~maborosi~

Length
    short/BSL+/waist
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I use the Tahiti Monoi oils, which are actually coconut oil mixed with the Tahitian Monoi Oil, and perfumed with various other oils. There are many different scents, I like the Vanille the best, personally, but they make florals (Gardenia, Plumeria, Ylang-ylang, jasmine), sandalwood, and coconut too. I've tried a lot of them, and they all smell good, much better than plain old coconut oil My hair even responds better to the coconut + Monoi mix.
    waist here I come!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

For whatever it's worth, I think coconut oil makes my scalp stink. I don't have that issue with other oils, so I use something else instead. Currently, that's olive oil, which also is supposed to fully penetrate the hair structure.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    #1 BC/neck/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

I'm also not a fan of the smell of ccno (like my abbreviation there? :P), but I can only smell it when I put it on my body mixed with olive oil as a moisturiser, and that's only once a week.

I don't notice if it smells on my hair or not, probably because it's not long enough to be anywhere near my nose.

I'd add a drop of essential oils and see if that helps, if not, personally I'd prolly go back to olive oil if it's that bad.
    - -
    BuzzNapeChinShoulderAPL✿BSL✿MB✿Waist✿TB✿Classic✿