Page 37 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful henna removal. Yes, you are reading this correctly.

Length
    BUZZ/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Successful henna removal. Yes, you are reading this correctly.

terylenerose, I have now used both formulas, and the extra strength seemed to pull more henna... but the stink lingers. The extra conditioning didn't pull quite as much color, but the smell faded after just one wash.

dancingfire, aside from initial dryness, I have not noticed a change in the condition of my hair. I did trim the ends after my second round of Oops, but I was due for a trim anyways. Just make sure you have a good, preferably cone-free conditioner that you can soak your hair in after you've done your rinsing.
    Last edited by RocketDog; February 16th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
    F/ii/goodbye henna!

Length
    pixie/35/long
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Fire View Post
    I have shampooed and clarified my hair (for the first time in a long time as I use CO, my hair feels hoarse, but it still looks shiny and healthy.
    I took some hair from my brush to test the colourB4 (it didn't smell That bad..;-)) I had it in a plastic bag in my pocket for an hour and a half and rinsed it for 15 minutes. It did get a bit lighter red and abit more orangey (I dont expect to be able to remove 23years of henna just like that) BUT the hair strand seems to be very stretchy and elastic when wet. Now I am abit afraid that I will get a gooey mass of hair that has to be cut off.
    What to do? It could be this stretchy normally too, I might just not have paid attention to it...
    Well the box is not going any where so I have time to think...

Did any one experience some kind of hair disaster trying this?

Er, yes.

Since it started, I've been reading this thread with great excitement at the prospect of getting rid of the henna and indigo on the length of my hair. I have about a year and a half of natural roots that also had some very stubborn Manic Panic vampire red that I was thoroughly done with as well. Mandybeth's success with removing her manic panic with the Color Oops was very encouraging.

So last weekend I decided to take the Oops plunge. I left it on for 3 hours. I used the EC kind. Rinsed for about 35 minutes -shampooing with Johnson's baby shampoo (pure evil, I know) 3 times and Suave strawberry once. What can I say I really want this stuff out of my hair. I then left Tresseme Aloe and Avocado on my hair for 4 hours. Everything seemed fine. The manic panic is gone and the henna and indigo are lighter. Yay!

The next day seemed fine and I did a heavy coconut oiling on my hair overnight. Next day washed my hair and left Tresseme on for 30 minutes. When my hair had dried I did a french braid and went about my brassy rooted business. At the end on the day I noticed that the tassel of my braid (which I had been lying on) had a ton of freakishly 'L' and 'V' bent hairs. I'll skip quickly over the freaking out upon realizing that my hair felt really really wrong (I mean I bleached the hell out of my hair in the past and it didn't feel this un-hairlike) and wetting it and putting more moisturising conditioners on it...to get to the calming down and figuring out that it was desperate for protein (thank you LHC). I had my husband go get me Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor the next morning (he initially came back with the Reconstructing Conditioner which I kept but sent him back out ). Even after using the Deep Penetrating Reconstructor (5 minutes with it on followed by 3 minutes with the Tresseme) my hair was still pretty weird. The next day stretch testing my hairs before, during and after I opted for using the Reconstructing Conditioner for 1 minute followed by 3 minutes of Tresseme. My hair is much much better though still a bit off. The hair on one side at the front of my hair line has had basically no root lift (not sure what that's about?) and is very soft. On someone else it might be normal on me it isn't. At this point I'm wondering if I can go ahead with more Oopsing or if I should go back to dying over just the henna and indigo with manic panic like I had been. I shan't be going near my natural roots with it again.

I should qualify this for other people out there that are hopeful about Oopsing the henna away but are concerned by my tale of stretchy, mushy haired woe. My protein debacle is in all likelihood my fault. Over the last couple of months I've been doing Vitamin C and Johnson's baby shampoo treatments on my hair to try and get the vampire red out. The last two times I did this there was some baking soda involved. All very cruel and unusual treatment for my poor hair and I assume the Oops just pushed it over the brink. But just a word of caution to monitor how your hair is doing. Oh and have some clue about protein and moisture...I didn't. Sometimes learning can be painful sometimes it can be stretchy and mushy.

My hair has always liked protein but since this has happened to it will I absolutely have to be giving it protein on a regular basis?

Length
    13/36/Clsc
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Thank you so much for your reply!
    I was just about to mix it and put it in my hair, but I will do one more test. Thanks! You might have saved my hair! You seem to have the same type as me!
    Well, I have bleached hair underneath all the henna and I might have used a henna with metallic salts in it a few years ago (henn&#233.
    Ok, I'll cut six strands to check 3h + long rinse.

Length
    21 in/29 in/hip?
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Jojo recommended a coconut milk soak to help rid the smell - I am not sure how much it helped in that respect, but I do think my hair really benefited from it. If I understand correctly it contains both protein and moisture, and all I can say is that my hair really appreciated it after the Oops. A lot. So you might want to have coconut milk at the ready.

Length
    21 in/29 in/hip?
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I was playing with some of my shed hairs in the shower today and I noticed they are very non-elastic. They stretch just a tiny bit (5-20% max. maybe?) and then snap. I know this isn't exactly a scientific test but I'm a little worried and not sure what to do about it. The only thing I have done to my hair recently (like in years) that I think might have caused it was the Oops - not necessarily saying that was it, because I've not taken much notice to elasticity before. Could it be from deep treatments? But I have been noticing that while showering since Oops sometimes hair strands get tangled around my fingers, and then I try to free them, and I feel them kind of stick and stretch. That is not normal for me.

Wondering if any one else has noticed anything like this? Think I need more protein, or less, or more moisture or less? I'm kind of at a loss.

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I'm sorry some of you are having protein issues.
    I've never had an issue with protein in my hair and my hair actually feels better after I Oops and shampoo a ton.
    Are protein treatments helping out with the stretchy hair?
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

Length
    22/32/blah
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
    terylenerose, I have now used both formulas, and the extra strength seemed to pull more henna... but the stink lingers. The extra conditioning didn't pull quite as much color, but the smell faded after just one wash.
    snip
    Thanks. Still not quite sure what to do, but this will help me get a better idea of which one to choose. It sounds like the stink isn't permanent, and I might be able to cover it up with a vinegar rinse because vinegar also has a strong smell. It also sounds like the Extra Conditioning has some issues, such as causing dry or stretchy hair, and doesn't work as well. I will try to find ingredients for both. Based on that, I think I will order the Extra Strength. But I have yet to come to any decision.

Length
    21 in/29 in/hip?
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by terylenerose View Post
    It sounds like the stink isn't permanent, and I might be able to cover it up with a vinegar rinse because vinegar also has a strong smell.

No, the stink is definitely not permanent, thank goodness! It's been just over two weeks since I used the extra strength, and the smell is almost gone when I have wet hair. I haven't been able to smell it with dry hair for quite a while. This is just my guess, but I think the chemicals evaporate (and get smelly in the process) each time you wash and dry your hair, so it fades each time. I wash about twice a week.

In my opinion, nothing helped the smell much except time, and washing/drying. I tried a stronger than usual vinegar rinse and my hair smelled weird. Like a pickled egg or something. But only until it dried all the way.

That said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to do SMTs, coconut milk soaks, vinegar rinses, etc. afterwards, as they may help to mask and slightly reduce the unpleasant Oops smell, and at the same time benefit your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mairéad View Post
    I'm sorry some of you are having protein issues.
    I'm not sure if my issues are with protein... I'm just trying to figure out what my hair wants. Ha! Perhaps it just needs extra cheese?
    Last edited by heatherovka; February 17th, 2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: adding

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Oh man. The smell... It's so bad! Sitting with Color Oops on my head right now.
    buzz - pixie - chin - shoulder - APL -BSL - MBL - waist - hip - tailbone - classic

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by battles View Post

Oh man. The smell... It's so bad! Sitting with Color Oops on my head right now.

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?