Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biotin use for hair growth

Length
    pixie/chin/BSL
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Biotin use for hair growth

I agree with those who have recommended to just tak a multivitamin, or a hair, skin and nails multivitamin. They carry in them all that you should need.

Length
    21"/21"/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by amantha View Post
    (TMI warning!) I think it was caused by an infected hair follicle that turned into a cystic zit. It hurt so bad I had to get my boyfriend to sterilize a pin and drain it. It took him like 30 mins to do that and I think the pressure he applied, and the inflammation that the infection caused to the tissue, made the follicles drop their hairs about a month later and left me with a bald spot about the size of a dime/nickel. However, it is starting to grow back and I have some short fuzz there now.

Honestly, I think the best thing you can do to boost your hair growth beyond a good diet, is a good daily multivitamin and probably some fish oil capsules. If your body can handle Biotin, awesome, but if you start seeing zits your body is giving you a sign that it's too much. I might also have had a bad experience with Biotin at a low dose because I tend to already eat a lot of foods with Biotin in them (like cheese!) so I probably get more than enough from my diet anyway.

Also, welcome to the LHC!
    I am so sorry to hear about the cyst, that sounds so painful
    I will look into some fish oil I already multi vitamin and I will be careful with my Biotin
    I am thinking of trying Silica, It is in my favorite brand water and I heard it is great for healthy hair
    And thanks for the welcome

Length
    21"/21"/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Thanks to all of you for your stories on Biotin and how it is affecting you
    I will post me results to, but after hearing about many of your experiences with it I will be more watchful with my dose

Length
    11"/12"/30"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I've heard that folic acid can help. And some people recommend MSM. You could also try using essential oils. I had a readymade product that was all natural but I can't find it now. I think it was Italian (will look and see if I can post a link).
    You can use drops of essential oils in a carrier oil (rosehip seed oil, evening primrose oil etc). I found a recipe online:
    In each 1 ounce of carrier oil base, add:
    • 8 Drops of Myrtle
    • 8 Drops Lavender
    • 8 Drops of Rosemary Verbenone
    • 16 Drops Carrot Root

Length
    11"/12"/30"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

The product I was looking for is by Simply Zen. It's a product to stimulate hair growth, and is also recommended for people with hair loss. I wanted it to speed up hair growth, but forgot about it, so didn't use it consistently. It smells lovely and my scalp felt warm and nice, but as I didn't use it faithfully I can't say whether is accelerates growth. Here's the info:
    Simply Zen Professional Hair Loss Treatment

This is our most intense treatment for excessive hair loss

An excessive and anomalous hair loss can be counteracted by an efficient program of intensive stimulation of the hair follicle. Its formulation has been studied to counteract the excessive hair loss while stimulating the hair follicle and bulb, encouraging hair re-growth.

Studies have shown both the increase in the average number of hairs and the speed of re-growth, the effect is attributed to the increased scalp microcirculation and cellular activity. The synergistic benefits of a bi-activator derived from Pheophycaes algae, the essential oil of Rosemary, Cinnamon, Ginger and specific botanical extracts of Gingko biloba, Aloe Vera, Yarrow, Calamus, Nutmeg and Myrrh revitalize and stimulate the atrophic hair follicle and bulb, strengthening the scalp microcirculation and increasing hair re-growth.

Simply Zen's strong stimulating and energizing action is completed with a purifying, bacteriostatic, calming and soothing action, for a complete wellbeing of scalp and hair. Camphor helps the absorption of the other active agents and inhibits the ∂-reductase enzyme, one of the most important enzymes responsible for the phenomenon of hair loss.

Suggestion of use: in case of excessive hair loss, we suggest a beginning cycle of 2-3 application per week for 8-10 weeks. In case of excessive and persistent hair loss, we suggest to increase the number of weekly applications up to a daily use. Space out with the preventive and maintenance lotion “ healthier scalp lotion” Evenly distribute the content of a phial on clean scalp, starting from the front and proceeding to the nape. Massage the scalp by lightly pressing with finger tips. We suggest to adopt the stimulating simply zen massage technique. Without rinsing, proceed styling.

Length
    28/30/Tail
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I've been taking 3mg of Biotin for the last 2 months, I've seen a small increase in my hair growth (which previously grew only 1/4 inch a month) My eyebrow hairs grow back quicker now too. My hair feels stronger and thicker, and my nails have just stopped breaking which is great.

The results aren't anything you couldn't get from better eating habits or a good multivitamin, BUT I've been told the real growth begins after 3 months when your the biotin really starts to kick into use.

I'm also taking a multivitamin which contains folic acid and zinc. I also take MSM - these should keep the zits under cover.

Length
    28/30/Tail
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

FYI: Please don't take over 4mg of biotin - some people who took 5mg a day reported renal failure! Don't take the risk.

Length
    9.5/16/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/i/ii

I actually took Biotin rather religiously for 3 or 4 months... I thought for sure it must help my hair!!! Well... It helped my nails tremendously, but I have never really had bad problems with them to begin with.... I stopped taking it about a week or two ago... I normally break out occasionally but Biotin made it unbearable! It was like I was a young teenager again! It was so bad that it hit my self esteem. I started using face products that were for teenagers and that dried out my skin... Now that I have stopped, my face is amazing. I have my confidence back. I don't really find Biotin worth it. I get my daily amount from a multivitamin and that works for me. I have also found a hair routine that is making my hair grow like crazy, so there really is no need for extra Biotin- at least for me.
    Chin***Shoulder***APL***BSL***Waist***Hip***

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I take 2mg of Biotin daily and have for several months. I have had no negative side-effects, but I'm not sure it's making my hair grow faster. My fingernails are stronger and split/peel a LOT less than they use to, which is nice. I have very weak fingernails usually, and now they are strong. I'm going to taper down to only 1mg of Biotin daily and see if my nails stay as strong as they are on a smaller daily dose. My daily shedding and monthly growth rate seem unaffected by anything I do, so I just ignore my hair and let it do what it wants.
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb
    Hip length to Pixie, now growing long again. Currently past SL, heading to APL.

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

There's definitely a risk in playing around with vitamins in order to aid your hair growth. Unless you have a biotin deficiency, you probably won't notice a difference in your hair growth rate by taking supplements.