Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: a smell-good oil that can be sprayed on hair AND is good for skin?

Length
    BSL/BSL/nfnty
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: a smell-good oil that can be sprayed on hair AND is good for skin?

I have a mister bottle i fill with rose water, then a few drops of jasmine oil and a few drops of sandalwood oil (more jasmine than sandalwood). I think the oils are in a base of jojoba, so really it's jasmine, sandalwood, and jojoba. I put it in my hair and on my face and it smells very delightful. I think perfumes are supposed to have two main notes and then an undernote to tie it together, so jasmine and rose are the floral main notes and sandalwood is the perfect smooth undernote to blend them all together. The cheapest sandalwood oil I found after extensive searching was at Whole Foods.

Length
    chin/WST33/TB37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Post Re: a smell-good oil that can be sprayed on hair AND is good for skin?

Quote Originally Posted by coffinhert View Post
    I have a mister bottle i fill with rose water, then a few drops of jasmine oil and a few drops of sandalwood oil (more jasmine than sandalwood). I think the oils are in a base of jojoba, so really it's jasmine, sandalwood, and jojoba. I put it in my hair and on my face and it smells very delightful. I think perfumes are supposed to have two main notes and then an undernote to tie it together, so jasmine and rose are the floral main notes and sandalwood is the perfect smooth undernote to blend them all together. The cheapest sandalwood oil I found after extensive searching was at Whole Foods.
    you have a point about needing more than 1 scent for a perfume! i hadnt even thought about that!

and thanks for the tip about wholefoods-- i certainly wouldnt have thought theyd be the cheapest!
    “U hve ur way.I hve my way.As 4 the right way,the correct way,& the only way,it does not exist.”FriedrichNietzsche
    Chin::Shldr::APL:: BSL::::Wst:: Hip

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

i secnd argan oil, and u can always mix some essential oil with it if it isnt enough
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I've made my own rosewater and rose oil in the past. It's not very hard, though you do need a lot of roses - enough to cover the bottom of a large pot.

Things you will need:

*1 large pot - stockpots work great for this.
    *2 heatproof bowls smaller than the pot
    *1 heatproof bowl about the same size as the pot - if you put the bowl right side up on top of the pot, the bowl should be able to create a seal around the edge of the pot. The bottom of the bowl needs to be no bigger than the top of the smaller bowls. If you don't have a bowl that fits this description, the rounded lid that comes with stockpots can be turned upside down to replace this item.
    *Lots of roses (several pounds, the fresher the better. Newer roses - ones that have not gone all the way open and started to fade - will work better and provide more rose oil)
    *Water (tap water is fine, as this method will distill the water)
    *Lots of ice (ice from tap water is fine, as the ice will not touch the finished product)

Put one of your smaller heatproof bowls in the bottom of the pot. Pour water into the pot, up to the same height as the bowl. Flip the bowl over so that the water can get in, and leave it upside down in the center of your pot. Add roses to the pot until they come to the same height as the bowl.

Stack the second smaller bowl on top of the first one, this time right side up (so the base of this bowl will rest on the base of the first bowl).

Put your larger bowl (or the upside down stock pot lid) on top (so you should have a concave thing on top that dips down towards the inside of the pot). Fill this with ice.

Turn on the heat to medium. You want this just hot enough to bring the pot to a low boil or simmer. Keep refilling the top bowl as necessary - it doesn't have to be totally full but it is important that there is always ice in it.

In 20-25 minutes, everything should be done cooking. When you remove the top bowl/lid, you should find that the smaller bowl inside the pot has liquid in it. Dip the rose oil off the top. There will not be much, and it will separate and float on top of the rosewater. What remains is true rosewater.

Rosewater doesn't have a very long shelf life, so I recommend freezing it. Just pour your rosewater into an ice cube tray, and once it freezes, put the cubes in a container or bag that seals, so they don't dehydrate away in your freezer.

~Blaze
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Oh, also - coconut oil is definitely prone to clogging pores. If your skin is sensitive or prone to acne at all, I don't recommend putting it on your skin. Yeah, when you first start putting it on, it feels nice and sinks in quickly, but then you start breaking out...ugh. I had a terrible experience with that.

You can make other 'waters' the way you make rosewater, btw. My favorite is orange blossom water - the smell is heavenly. Orange blossom water is more astringent than rosewater, so it's good for oily skin or scalps. The smell is kind of a citrusy floral. Absolutely my favorite scent, it's delicate and lovely.

~Blaze
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus

Quote Originally Posted by LaceyNg View Post
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]figured i'd give an update, as i ment and picked up the goods today

for anybody curious, heres the kind i got, followed by the ingredients:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHkQ8wIwAw

from the bottle: "Pure, natural essence. From European roses. Popular gourmet flavoring. Use as a perfume or body splash, add to your hair rinse or bath water, or try as a gourmet flavoring. You can also combine with therapeutic oils to make your own unique complexion formula. Certified by periodic laboratory test to be free of pesticide residues. More information on request. Seal of Approval: Not tested on animals. Atomizer mist sprayer. Experience the delicate floral scent of real roses any time of the year! Recommended in the Edgar Cayce readings."

ingredients: Vor-Mag Water (water that has been vortexed and magnetized to raise the energy to a higher vibration that we believe to be more beneficial) and Hydroessential Rose Oil

the scent is stronger than i thought it would be, but not overpowering. i'm glad it isnt too mild. smells just like roses

I use rosewater on my hair and skin. I like the smell and feels nice.
    What is bugging me a bit is the description - "european roses" . The bulgarian rose is known to be the best in matter of water/oil products. Something related to the soil.
    The cheapest I could found was 10Euro for a 250 ml bottle.
    So, when they write "european roses", I feel like they want to trick a bit. Probably is not bulgarian rose, because the bulgarian rose products always mention that, and with them they point in the face that is european roses they are making their products of, but the bulgarian rose is like the best source.

In any case, I warmly recommend rose water for both face and hair. Haven`t tried the oil because my skin tends to have clogged pores when using oils, plus, I had a terrible experience with coconut oil on my skin.

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Argan oil is a sun sensitizing oil, not great for skin.

Trader Joe's has a lavender oil body spray, works on my hair also.

Length
    chin/WST33/TB37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Talking Re: a smell-good oil that can be sprayed on hair AND is good for skin?

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingHeart View Post
    I've made my own rosewater and rose oil in the past. It's not very hard, though you do need a lot of roses - enough to cover the bottom of a large pot.

Things you will need:

<snip>

Rosewater doesn't have a very long shelf life, so I recommend freezing it. Just pour your rosewater into an ice cube tray, and once it freezes, put the cubes in a container or bag that seals, so they don't dehydrate away in your freezer.

~Blaze
    thanks so much for this! thats a great idea about storing it as ice cubes!!!

and an even better idea to use it for whatever flower, etc i happen to have around! i dont usually have roses around, but the next time i have ANY flower around i think i'll use this! it would make the gift of some flowers even better, knowing i could basically make my own perfume from them i wish i had some orange trees close to me!

again, thank you! that was really awesome of you to go through the trouble of typing all that out for me

Quote Originally Posted by jaquelines View Post
    I use rosewater on my hair and skin. I like the smell and feels nice.
    What is bugging me a bit is the description - "european roses" . The bulgarian rose is known to be the best in matter of water/oil products. Something related to the soil.
    The cheapest I could found was 10Euro for a 250 ml bottle.
    So, when they write "european roses", I feel like they want to trick a bit. Probably is not bulgarian rose, because the bulgarian rose products always mention that, and with them they point in the face that is european roses they are making their products of, but the bulgarian rose is like the best source.

In any case, I warmly recommend rose water for both face and hair. Haven`t tried the oil because my skin tends to have clogged pores when using oils, plus, I had a terrible experience with coconut oil on my skin.
    i hadnt realized coconut was so clog-prone! i'd always heard that jojoba oil was, but this is the first (well, 2nd ) i've heard of coconut oil!

i didnt realize that about bulgarian roses! i just figured they put that they were made with european roses b/c roses grown here in the US are known for not having much of a scent at all. thanks for the info! i feel kind of cheated now. lol. i AM quite happy with it though-- after i used up the 1st bottle i went and bought another, and have been using it daily on my face after my shower.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyBeth View Post
    Argan oil is a sun sensitizing oil, not great for skin.

Trader Joe's has a lavender oil body spray, works on my hair also.
    i do like the smell of lavender, but i'm hesitant to use it on skin, as it's know to cause irritation...
    “U hve ur way.I hve my way.As 4 the right way,the correct way,& the only way,it does not exist.”FriedrichNietzsche
    Chin::Shldr::APL:: BSL::::Wst:: Hip