Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Do you trim your own hair?

Length
    14"/35"/51"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Do you trim your own hair?

1.Do you trim wet or dry?
    I trim my hair when it's dry if I'm only doing a microtrim, which is my usual method. If I'm taking off more than half an inch I might trim my hair when it's damp.

2. Any particular kind of scissors that work better with hair?
    I use the fancy Mizutani shears that I got with my kit from beauty school, but it's not necessary to have super-fancy, super-expensive shears just for trims. Before getting my Japanese shears I just used a $40 set from Sally's.

3. How do you get it straight at the bottom? (what different methods are there for different legths of hair, I imagine that people with really long hair have an easier time with this, am I right?
    I use Feye's method for trimming straight across, like a lot of the others here.

4. Do you have any other personal tips & tricks/ favourite methods, please share!
    Trim your ends in sections, so you're not cutting into too thick a chunk of hair right away and fraying your ends/dulling your shears. Also, only take off a tiny bit at first, then take time to check the length and see how your ends feel. You can always trim off more if you want to. And whether you're trimming length or just individual splits, trim in bright light!

5. Are there anything one shold absolutely avoid when trimming yourself? Any absolute No-No's?
    Don't trim when you're feeling really angry or frustrated with your hair, wait til you're feeling calmer.

Back in black, and growing to the bitter end.

APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ Tailbone ~ Butt ~ Classic

Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I trimmed with my hair dry. I like to see where the ends are lighter or getting a little on the thin side and I cut very little for the first time.

may the forks be with you faellen's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I micro trimmed my hair using Feye's method a few months ago (dry, with U-shaped hemline), with hair shears I got on eBay. Got a great result and I'd do it again.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Ive used the Feye method. I got a knock off CreaClip I'm going to try it.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've used the Feye's method for a few years. I usually do a gentle U shape. I wet AND oil my hair before trimming and comb it through with a very fine toothed comb to make sure it's straight. Most of the time is spent on combing the hair straight, then cut, then comb again, trim a bit more...etc. My hair is just wavy enough to not stay straight unless I weight it down, but not wavy enough to hide any unevenness in the trim.

*My dad cuts his own hair, too and he's got a typical guy's hair style. No idea how he did that. I suppose if you're experienced you can go by feelings. It's like making braids for oneself.

Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

When doing the Feye's self trimming method, I started off so far trimming 1/4" just to get some growth going. Has anyone trimmed 1/4" and it feels hair isn't growing? Does a 1/4" seem like enough to get it to grow a little more? I feel like mine is slowly getting there if I don't pay it any attention lol.

I have only trimmed my own hair one time so far. Maybe I'm being impatient?
    Last edited by Sascha888; April 18th, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGables View Post
    I trim dry. My hair is wurly and hides unevenness anyway so it really doesn't matter. I trim dry because it's easier; I can do it anytime.

Hair scissors are best, but not necessarily necessary. I use whatever scissors I have on hand. I haven't gotten split ends in a long time.

4. Do you have any other personal tips & tricks/ favourite methods, please share!
    I cut my hair with layers. I put my head upsidedown and cut straight across. This gives me layers from armpit to waist. Though I'm thinking of growing out my layers some, for my next trim I'll do Feye's method for a v-cut.

5. Are there anything one should absolutely avoid when trimming yourself? Any absolute No-No's?
    No. Everyone's hair is different and there's an exception to pretty much every rule. Remember if you trim too much, hair will grow back!
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha888 View Post
    When doing the Feye's self trimming method, I started off so far trimming 1/4" just to get some growth going. Has anyone trimmed 1/4" and it feels hair isn't growing? Does a 1/4" seem like enough to get it to grow a little more? I feel like mine is slowly getting there if I don't pay it any attention lol.

I have only trimmed my own hair one time so far. Maybe I'm being impatient?
    Different people have different hair. Some hair breaks off easily at the end, and so frequent micro trimming (what you did) helps prevent this breakage and makes hair seem to grow faster. Other people have hair that doesn't break so easily and they get the fastest growth if they don't do any trimming. I'm in the latter group. Cutting your hair DOESN'T make it grow faster at the roots.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I use Feye's method. I love that I can trim my hair whenever I feel like it and have time, instead of having to go through the trouble of going to a salon (and pay for it!)

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Length
    Pixie/Class/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Me I've trimmed 3 times. the first was just a small dusting to try it, and the second was a 1/2" trim, but these were with scissors I got from dollar general so I did a 3rd 1/4" trim with better scissors just to try and get rid of any damage that was done from the cheap scissors.

I've trimmed three times and they all have been dry, but I think next time I will go for wet.

I use Tweezerman 2000 (I think that's what they are called.) At least I did for my 3rd trim...

3. How do you get it straight at the bottom? (what different methods are there for different lengths of hair, I imagine that people with really long hair have an easier time with this, am I right?
    I go VERY slowly...plus I have my sister look and make sure the hair straight. My hair is just barely long enough to use JJJ's method, so that's what I did for my last trim. Required a bit of contortion to bring my hair to the front but I got it to work somehow

I guess just to work slow and make sure you grab the hair at the perfect angle because it is just so easy have hair longer on one side. I did this on my second trim, and it was quite a big difference. Whenever I braided my hair into pig braids one was like an inch longer. xD

5. Are there anything one should absolutely avoid when trimming yourself? Any absolute No-No's?
    Don't use dollar store scissors!!! xD You will end up with crazy splits!

Pixie BSLMBL WL HL BCL TBL CL??????????
    semi-hiatus, computer is broken