View Poll Results: Did/would you grow then chop, or chop and grow?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I opted for a good cutback, then continued to grow.

23 39.66%
  • I kept growing then cut back to length I wanted.

9 15.52%
  • I did a little of each.

22 37.93%
  • I ate cheese insteax.

4 6.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you bigger trim then grow, or grow then cut bac?

Length
    18"/36"/37"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Did you bigger trim then grow, or grow then cut bac?

If you were faced with the decision whether you wanted to cut back because of damage or to get a fuller hemline and then grow more, or to grow another six months or more then cut back, what did you decide? I guess its all about whether to chose to hang onto all the length and sacrifice the look/health, or vice versa).

New Blog 'Pinned Upsweeps' for my fine/thinnish/slippery updo problems

Length
    chin/APL/Hip

Default Re: Did you bigger trim then grow, or grow then cut bac?

I am doing both! I am trimming the damage back every 8 weeks or so but trying to maintain and keep some of the length I am gaining too. My damage is mostly on the canopy so I did cut in layers and will have to keep the layers nicely trimmed until I get rid of all the damage. I am really hoping for enough length by summer so I can "bun" it for a while to help protect some. Luckily all my new growth is staying healthy and strong so fingers crossed I can get the rest of the damage off before it travels up.

Length
    19/25/35
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Before LHC I would cut! Like a pixie cut, then grow out until I would eventually feel like it was all damaged again and pixie again!! But now that i have learned so much about hair care, micro trimming and S&D, I plan on keeping my length!!! Hopefully I can reach my goal of waist!!! Thank you LHC

Length
    Chin/Shldr/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I've had to take off my share of length this past year, just so I could comb through it without breakage... I figure it's better to cut it while it's still far from my goal than to get to waist/classic and have to go back to BSL or midback.
    Lady Verisiel of the Triskle Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~ Current Mini Goal: APL by DEC 2013

Length
    pixie/TBL!/clsc!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I grow and then cut back. I'm not *quite* at my goal of waist yet, even though my ends are getting a little scraggly, I'm going to wait until I'm an inch past waist at least and then trim at least half an inch. It hasn't had a good trim in over two years now. It seems less painful than cutting before I get to a milestone and having to wait longer :P
    Chin // Shoulder // Apl // Bsl // Waist // Hip // TBL!! 34" (now)! // Classic (end goal)
    ~Lady Lovecraft of the Red Crayon Aristocracy in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Several years ago I cut from MBL-ish to chin to get rid of all my dye and perm damage. I hated chin length, so I'd never go quite that drastic again, but my ends are beginning to fairytale just a bit now. I'm in no hurry to trim, but I am wondering what I should do. Current plan is to get to a length I feel comfortable, grow it beyond that by a few inches, and then cut back to it.

Length
    0.5"/25"BS/30"TB
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

My hair had different sizes due to my initial hairstyle. As I have curly hair and it looked horrible when short I flat ironed everyday. This + 1 year and 8 month without trimming, seriously damaged my ends.

So the best thing to do was to chop to get rid of the damage. As I wanted it to look long I did it in two sesions. The last one after three months.

Length
    Chin/TBL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

If I remember correctly, I trimmed my damaged hair from bsl to a little above shoulder length before I started the growing process. I'm very glad I did it this way. I'm positive that if I didn't trim it first I would have had the worst split-ends ever .
    Slowly creeping towards knee-length hair...

Length
    3/32.75/45
    Type
    1c/2a/C/i/ii

I trimmed all the damaged hair off first and then let it grow. I enjoy a total fresh start.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I do a little of each.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length