Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh no -- Fructis Fail!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Oh no -- Fructis Fail!

So for about a year and a half I've been a happy user of Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (which actually goes by "Oil Repair" in my part of the world; I'm calling it TN for the sake of international recognisability). I've laid in a stockpile of over ten bottles of the stuff because the things it does to my hair are just fantastic. I've been using it as my second conditioner for CO-washing and hoping they never, ever change the formula.

Well, they did.

Yesterday I cracked open the first of my stockpiled bottles that have a slightly different shape from the old ones... and discovered that they've changed the scent of the stuff along with the shape of the bottle. It used to be a fairly subtle citrusy scent, not particularly natural-smelling but quite tolerable, and didn't stick around in my hair after it had dried. But the new bottles? They've changed it to a chemical, cheap-perfume smell that's both unpleasant and way too powerful and won't go away. If anything, the smell became stronger as my hair dried. By evening, my family was reporting that they could smell it from all the way across the room.

By this morning I couldn't stand it any more, so I washed again... and now that my hair is dry again the stink of the Garnier is STILL on it, that's how persistent the new scent is!

I guess that's it and I need to go looking for a new conditioner. I'm rather devastated, because TN is the best condish I've ever had... but I really can't face having that smell on my head all the time.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Oh no -- Fructis Fail!

They've done the same thing here, I think; the UK version is called Repair and Shine. The bottle shape is the same but the label is a slightly different design. The perfume is stronger, a generic over-powering smell, compared to the soft fruity smell before. The colour, too; it used to be a warm yellow, now it's off-white. It doesn't work as well, but it's still not half bad, so I'll be able to work through my stockpile, but I'm certainly not impressed either. Why 'fix' what isn't broken?

Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

As far as I can tell, the colour of our local version is the same as before. But the fragrance (if it can be called that) is specified on the new label as "FIL C41846/1"; the old bottles had "FIL C35637/1". Whatever that may or may not mean; a quick Google doesn't turn up a single hit on either one that isn't related to this brand of conditioner!

I managed to mask the residual perfume stink by putting a couple of drops of rosemary essential oil on my palms and rubbing it down my hair, so at least I won't be spending Christmas Eve with my head in a cloud of that smell, but I definitely won't be able to use up my stockpile! Which leaves me with the problem of what to use instead. I'm CO, and while my current "cleaning" conditioner smells nice, it's also loaded with glycerin which, being a humectant, is probably less than ideal in the low humidities we have here all winter!

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

O.O... I better run out and buy a second bottle before the change strikes here too! If the scent is too strong I can't use it anymore..

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Length
    15"/33"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Frankly, I'd call the number on the bottle and complain. If they get enough complaints they may switch it back. Remember, most companies consider each phone call or letter representative of around a hundred other people who would just switch quietly. If they know *exactly* what's wrong, it will be easier for them to fix it.

Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by wicked kisses View Post
    Frankly, I'd call the number on the bottle and complain. If they get enough complaints they may switch it back. Remember, most companies consider each phone call or letter representative of around a hundred other people who would just switch quietly. If they know *exactly* what's wrong, it will be easier for them to fix it.
    Hmm. Good idea, I might just give that a try after the Christmas break!

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Oh man, I love the fruity Fructis scent! The serum I have is strong, but still pleasantly fruity. They changed it? WHYYYYYYYY??! :'(

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Hmm. I remember discussing this matter in a thread some time ago, but can't recall its title.
    Maybe the previous version was better, but I can't see any difference in the effectiveness. I'm happy it is still cone-free, though. It's sooo hard to find a good cone-free conditioner here in Hungary and this is my favourite beside Garnier Natural (the one with avocado and shea butter). That is also very good.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4250&attachmentid=1969

Length
    SL+/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Yep. My girls opened the new bottle and said "Yay! Smells like skittles!"
    O joy.

It smells so sweet!
    Microtrimming, cowashing, hoping for a miracle.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by skaempfer View Post
    Yep. My girls opened the new bottle and said "Yay! Smells like skittles!"
    O joy.

It smells so sweet!
    Smells like skittles! Maybe that IS the scent I'm used to. IDK. I noticed my serum smells a lot stronger than I remember the conditioner smelling, but the scent isn't that different. If my serum is the "new" scent, I like it! (I haven't used a lot of Fructis products so I'm really not sure.)