Page 76 of 221 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I like them better when I soak about a handful soapnuts in a pint of water overnight until the mixture looks the colour of black tea. I tried boiling the same amount and they made my hair greasy, I dont know why but soaking overnight works better. I followed Mellies instructions omitting the lemon juice and apply it the same way as she does, she knows her soapnuts! worked great for me, with a pre oil id reccomend leaving the mixture on for 10 minutes before rinsing off.
    Thanks! I'll definetly do that tomorrow. When I get more soapnuts, I'll definetly be experimenting with technique. My hair was absolutely not oily when I used it last night, in fact it was full of static to the point I ended up just covering it with a headscarf. But it felt great!
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I like them better when I soak about a handful soapnuts in a pint of water overnight until the mixture looks the colour of black tea. I tried boiling the same amount and they made my hair greasy, I dont know why but soaking overnight works better. I followed Mellies instructions omitting the lemon juice and apply it the same way as she does, she knows her soapnuts! worked great for me, with a pre oil id reccomend leaving the mixture on for 10 minutes before rinsing off.
    Thank you, jojo. I was posting at the same time you were. It will be interesting to see which method works best for me.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Neoma, in my recipe I use 22 soapnuts, and it makes 8 oz of liquid, but I only use 1.5 ounces per wash. So, depending on how many times you shampoo per week, that gives you an idea how many shampoos you'd get per batch.

Also some people (who are not as oily as me) have been successful re-using the nuts another time too!

Mine came with 22 (100gm) $2.99

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    I've been following this thread with interest for a while.

The idea of using a liquid is enticing, but I'm not clear on one thing...

It sounds as if folks use a minimum of five soapnuts per shampoo. How many soapnuts are in a bag? (Lots of places seem to sell them in grams, and I don't have a clue how many soap nuts are in a gram.)

I am a daily shampooer. If, say, there are 25 soapnuts in an order, then they would only last me five days. That wouldn't make much sense to me.

Can someone clarify this for me? (No pun intended.)

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Those are from the Indian grocery right? I like those ones - although you have to crack them to get the seed out, which is no big deal.

I bought the Lullwater brand ones from Amazon. They have two bigger size bags, 1 lb. for $20 plus $5.49 shipping; or 2.2 lbs. for $30 plus $6 shipping. Here is a cost comparison amongst some different brands (this is unused soapnuts - not the finished liquid):

-Indian store soapnuts: 100g = $2.99/3.5 oz. (no shipping if you have an Indian store nearby): $.86 per ounce
    -Lullwater 1 lb bag: $25.49/16 oz. = $1.59 per ounce
    -Lullwater 2.2 lb. bag: $36/35.2 oz. = $1.02 per ounce

Please add yours if you have something different that is successful! I'm not going to list the Mountain Rose Herbs soapnuts because I was not successful with them and wouldn't recommend them.

Seems like the Indian store ones are the best buy, if you can find them locally!

I know my local health food store also carries Maggie's in some small sizes, I'll check their prices next time I'm there.
    Last edited by mellie; January 10th, 2009 at 07:58 AM.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Has anyone used the Maggie's or NaturOli with success?

Here's a cost comparison for each of them on Amazon:

Maggie's 1 kilo bag: $35 (free shipping)/35 oz. = $1.00 per ounce
    NaturOli 4 lb. bag: $67/64 oz = $1.05 per ounce
    Last edited by mellie; January 10th, 2009 at 07:58 AM.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Neoma, in my recipe I use 22 soapnuts, and it makes 8 oz of liquid, but I only use 1.5 ounces per wash. So, depending on how many times you shampoo per week, that gives you an idea how many shampoos you'd get per batch.

Also some people (who are not as oily as me) have been successful re-using the nuts another time too!
    I got three lots out of mine, though the last batch didnt do as well. What i have found the weaker the mixture, the longer it needs to stay on before rinsing.

Still on only 2 hairs shedding a day
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

heres a link for those in the UK/ Europe http://www.gogreen.cellande.co.uk/sh...s/soapnuts.php I get mine from here, got my first lot from a different supplier but they had the stone in them, these are much better just the shells!

eta they deliver to USA and Canada too!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

What i have found the weaker the mixture, the longer it needs to stay on before rinsing.
    Aha, very interesting! Good to know!

Re: no shedding; that is so awesome! I have that too and love it!!!!

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

To clarify, the cost breakdowns above are not for the finished liquid - they are just the cost per ounce of unused soapnuts.