Page 87 of 221 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Length
    18"/BSL/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Fencai, sorry you are still feeling dirty/greasy! What recipe are you using? Are you using the foam wash method? I have to use the 22 soapnuts recipe (with lemon) with the foam method or my hair still feels greasy.

Also, what brand of soapnuts are you using? If they still have the seed inside, they will not work properly until you take the seed out.

ETA: What length is your hair too? You may need to use less or more of the liquid depending on how much hair you have too!

ETA2: Also, if you are oiling beforehand, maybe lighten up on the amount of oiling you are using.
    the first time, I put about 8 nuts into 5 cups of water and boiled for 30 mins (according to the instructions from the place I ordered). and that didnt work.
    So, I have the same batch sitting on the counter in a bowl, and I added about a dozen more nuts to it. This morning it was looking much darker/stronger. It will be sitting there all day until I get home around 5pm from work as I didnt have time to strain it before leaving this morning.

Im using "sticky" nuts from Buysoapnuts.com. Im not sure if they have the seed or not, i didnt think to look, I'll surely do that when I get home!

My hair is "is this APL" length right now I used a squirt bottle and put 1oz in it, and shook it up, and tried to use the foam. I did try and rub it in too, I didnt let it sit on my head like I see that you do from one of your other posts.

This wash was oil free (this time around!). I hadnt oiled my hair this week because I was waiting until I got some grapeseed oil.

Like I said, the ends of my hair feel great! I didnt put any conditioner on them, and theyre fairly soft. Im not giving up on them yet! Maybe I'll try adding a bit of lemon to the wash like you do.
    I appreciate all the help!!!
    Sail Away where no ball and chain can keep us from the roaring waves Captain Adiranna Brightwing of the Flame-Sailed Ship in the Order of the long Haired Knights

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

It sounds like that is a much weaker solution than what I use, so you may want to increase the amount of soapnuts that you use. I use 22 soapnuts in just 1 cup of water (soaked, not boiled). You can see in my siggy link that it makes a nice medium brown color liquid.

Also, with the foam method, make sure you shake it up really good so that the foam is nice and thick, not runny or liquidy. It works way more awesome that way! :-)

Length
    18"/BSL/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    It sounds like that is a much weaker solution than what I use, so you may want to increase the amount of soapnuts that you use. I use 22 soapnuts in just 1 cup of water (soaked, not boiled). You can see in my siggy link that it makes a nice medium brown color liquid.

Also, with the foam method, make sure you shake it up really good so that the foam is nice and thick, not runny or liquidy. It works way more awesome that way! :-)

awesome!!! Thanks Mellie!!! DH and I both want this to work! So we're not giving up on it!
    Sail Away where no ball and chain can keep us from the roaring waves Captain Adiranna Brightwing of the Flame-Sailed Ship in the Order of the long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

"Using Dehydration to Preserve Fruits, Vegetables, and Meats
    Natural Sun Drying
    Sun drying .... recommended for drying fruit only. Sun drying is not recommended .... cloudy or humid weather. .... temperature should reach 85°F by noon, and the humidity should be less than 60 percent. .... All food that is dried outdoors must be pasteurized."
    http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/348-597/348-597.html

"Microbial content of commercial South African high-moisture dried fruits
    .... study shows the presence of Salmonella, Staphylococcus and Clostridium in South African HMDF. .... presence of thermoduric organisms indicated .... current pasteurization process is not adequate and that the addition of preservatives would be an additional method to ensure safety and quality."
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...2?crawler=true

It depends on the moisture content of the dried fruit, as to whether preservatives are necessary. Pasteurization though, is required, according to the University link above. Soapnuts are dried outdoors in the sun, according to several links about them.

I do not know if soapnuts are pasteuized after sun drying. I did not see that mentioned in any text on vendor sites or elsewhere. It may be that because the soapnuts are not being sold as food, that it is not done or required. Dried fruits are usually pitted. There seems to be a difference in soapnuts on that too. Pitting may reduce the moisture content of the finished product.
    Last edited by ktani; January 13th, 2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: clarification

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

FYI, since I've been asked a lot lately about soapnuts, I just created an Article on Soapnut Foam Washing, here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=95

It's the same thing as my siggy link.

ETA: I will try to take a few more photos for the article, showing some different types of soapnuts and also how I put the foam on my hair....probably a video would be really helpful, huh?
    Last edited by mellie; January 12th, 2009 at 07:44 AM.

Re soapnuts and pregnancy

Soapnuts are reported in research to have abortifacient properties, one member here did have problems while using them while pregnant, and the traditional method for using them is over pre oiled hair, which IMO, would help protect the scalp from skin absorption from saponins.

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

What was better whole soapnut or powdered soapnut (aritha)? in eveyone's opinion and experience.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I have never tried the powder, so I can't answer that, sorry!

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Hmmm, about the sticky soapnuts, I also live in the Pacific Northwest, and mine never got sticky. I just kept them in the cotton drawstring bag they came in, under my bathroom sink, and nothing. Maybe it varies slightly from batch to batch, or how well they are dried, or maybe exactly where they come from?? I have no idea really...
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Pre oiling of the hair and scalp before washing is a tradition in India, and is still recommended today, on Indian hair care websites.

"So what is the secret to beautiful hair? The age old tradition of oiling. Unlike in the West where we condition our hair post shampooing it, in India, oiling .... hair and scalp always precedes washing it."
    http://feelgoodstyle.com/2008/08/12/...ing-your-hair/

"Oil .... hair at least twice a week or for a day before washing ...."
    http://www.seasonsindia.com/beauty/haircare_sea.htm

"Massage hair with warm coconut oil an hour before washing .... "
    http://www.webindia123.com/women/Beauty/Hair/nature.htm
    Last edited by ktani; January 12th, 2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: adjust text