Page 86 of 221 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    That makes sense.
    I'm not sure Ktani because I've been very careless about not keeping them sealed. I'm still working on the same lot I got before I sent Mellie hers. Plus after using them in the washer I just kinda through them around to dry.

I live in the Pacific NW (rain center of the world) and my soap nuts aren't absorbing water. I don't know what the cause would be.
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by ljkforu View Post
    I'm not sure Ktani because I've been very careless about not keeping them sealed. I'm still working on the same lot I got before I sent Mellie hers. Plus after using them in the washer I just kinda through them around to dry.

I live in the Pacific NW (rain center of the world) and my soap nuts aren't absorbing water. I don't know what the cause would be.
    I was going by what was reported on the website mentioned. You have a very valid point. The sticky soapnut issue is unusual, in that it is fairly recent, since that one vendor sells them that way, (posted way back now, in the thread) and now this.

I am not sure what to make of it. From the links I posted, it is not a good idea to have moist dried fruit in packages, without preservatives.

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    I was going by what was reported on the website mentioned. You have a very valid point. The sticky soapnut issue is unusual, in that it is fairly recent, since that one vendor sells them that way, (posted way back now, in the thread) and now this.

I am not sure what to make of it. From the links I posted, it is not a good idea to have moist dried fruit in packages, without preservatives.
    That was my thought. I know they mold because I have to throw out an occasional moldy one out of even the dry ones. In other words, I crush a nut to remove the seed and the seed is obviously moldered and has a fungal odor (out goes the nut).
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Quote Originally Posted by ljkforu View Post
    That was my thought. I know they mold because I have to throw out an occasional moldy one out of even the dry ones. In other words, I crush a nut to remove the seed and the seed is obviously moldered and has a fungal odor (out goes the nut).
    They would mould like any natural plant. That is what I have been trying to say. I find this whole thing odd, very odd that vendors sell them that way, moist.

Frankly, I am wary.
    Last edited by ktani; January 12th, 2009 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Soapnuts are a big business now. There is a variation in standards and obviously practices, in terms of how they are packaged and shipped and the processing beforehand. It would be interesting to to see if anyone else reports mouldy soapnuts.
    Last edited by ktani; January 12th, 2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Well, I just ordered some - throw caution to the wind! One of my New Year's resolutions was "Courage"! (((insert Valkyrie smiley here)))

I can't wait - I'm very anxious to try them. Jojo's hair is looking soooo gorgeous!! I want in on that!

Now let's see how long it takes for them to get here from the UK! .....Patience was NOT one of my New Year's resolutions, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Well, I just ordered some - throw caution to the wind! One of my New Year's resolutions was "Courage"! (((insert Valkyrie smiley here)))

I can't wait - I'm very anxious to try them. Jojo's hair is looking soooo gorgeous!! I want in on that!

Now let's see how long it takes for them to get here from the UK! .....Patience was NOT one of my New Year's resolutions, haha!
    Just inspect them carefully, store them well and keep an eye on them, IMO. Bacteria and fungi are not good to have around.

"Microbial content of commercial South African high-moisture dried fruits
    .... study shows the presence of Salmonella, Staphylococcus and Clostridium in South African HMDF. .... presence of thermoduric organisms indicated .... current pasteurization process is not adequate and that the addition of preservatives would be an additional method to ensure safety and quality."
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...2?crawler=true
    Last edited by ktani; January 12th, 2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added link and text

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Wouldn't boiling them take care of the bacteria? Why, some here do use the soapnuts by boiling them instead of soaking them overnight.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    Wouldn't boiling them take care of the bacteria? Why, some here do use the soapnuts by boiling them instead of soaking them overnight.
    Some for sure, I do not know about all. I doubt it.

Bacteria control, by the National Heart Foundation of New Zealand
    http://www.nhf.org.nz/index.asp?PageID=2145823145