Page 177 of 221 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 2203

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

I heard it can take over gardens, sorry about that! :-)

You can dry the roots, as well as the leaves/stems too! Or, use the fresh leaves and stems too. Apparently they are all usable for soap and shampoo! You could probably even try using the fresh roots, I see no reason why they wouldn't work just as well if not better than dried! Keep me posted, I have some growing in a pot now in my backyard, but it started from seed just a few months ago. How long does it take to get full sized?

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

This is so exciting you guys are growing it!!

I wish I could too.. waiting for them to bloom to find them by the river..

Maybe you guys could post some pics of before-bloom so maybe we could identify them more easily? or are they blooming now already? I have no idea when they bloom!

Do tell how it all goes, Sha sha - there are different recipes online, & my Mom says when she was little they'd rub a bit of (fresh) soapwort (leaves I guess) when they went swimming in the river.. & it was like soap..
    WO/NW since September 2007! Experimenting with NW!! (NW since December 27th!) - 2 weeks of pool water in Aug.+1xWO in Sept. 2008, NW again..

Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by ATrixie View Post
    Maybe you guys could post some pics of before-bloom so maybe we could identify them more easily? or are they blooming now already?
    Mine are not yet blooming. I took a photo just now:

I have not tried to do anything with it yet. First I need to decide a place for those I dig up, a place where they are able to grow. I need to researche their requirements first.

Any other soapnut users going through major shed? For past 3-4 weeks i have shedding a lot. All i have been using is sopanuts. It could be the change in weather but i just wanted to check in.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Tina, sorry, not having any shedding here!

Wow, ShaSha, your soapwort looks great! Mine is growing quite well from seeds, but I'm not sure what is soapwort and what is weeds....but your picture will definitely help!

So, I got my soapwort root in the mail! It doesn't look like the other soapwort root I've gotten before though. Before it was off-white and like little diced carrot size. But this is brown and very finely cut and also has a lot of seeds in it. ? But, it smells right. I'm trying both simmering it and also another bowl with just soaking it. We'll see which works better. Luckily I'm on vacation this week so if my hair looks terrible, it's OK!!

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Tina, sorry, not having any shedding here!

Wow, ShaSha, your soapwort looks great! Mine is growing quite well from seeds, but I'm not sure what is soapwort and what is weeds....but your picture will definitely help!

So, I got my soapwort root in the mail! It doesn't look like the other soapwort root I've gotten before though. Before it was off-white and like little diced carrot size. But this is brown and very finely cut and also has a lot of seeds in it. ? But, it smells right. I'm trying both simmering it and also another bowl with just soaking it. We'll see which works better. Luckily I'm on vacation this week so if my hair looks terrible, it's OK!!
    Hey Mellie I just saw Bob and he said that he washes his own hair with Soapwort. He said he got a batch that was different than his usual. He has his usual stuff again I saw it in the jar. I was a one time oddity.
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Hi Ljkforu! I actually didn't end up getting it from Dragon Herbarium, he was taking too long to get back to me by email so I ordered from A World of Plenty. I'm confused as to why it looks so different. But, their customer service was very good. I ordered on the 17th, got a shipping notification on the 18th, and it was sitting here on my doorstep when I got back from vacation yesterday.

I'm not sure how well it's going to work though. The boiled stuff turned very dark brown with a yellow stain when it hit white things, so I wasn't so keen on putting that on my hair since I have some white hairs now. So I used the soaked stuff instead this morning.

I used 2 handfuls (my hands are small) in 1.5 cups of water. I soaked it for a couple of hours. It turned pretty brown too. I tried making foam with it like soapnuts, but it wouldn't foam up. I even tried a foaming soap container but it still didn't foam up like soapnuts.

So I just put it in a squirty bottle and squirted it on in the shower this morning. I'll report back once my hair is dry!

I hope it works, it was very expensive and I doubt they'll let me return it now that I've used some of it....

But, it's good to know that Dragon Herbarium has the normal stuff!
    Last edited by mellie; June 24th, 2009 at 05:34 AM.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

OK, so I think my soapwort liquid wasn't quite strong enough, because my hair feels a bit greasy today. I even added some lime juice, but it just didn't cut through my greasiness. My hair looks nice though.

I'm soaking a stronger batch right now. The first batch was approx. 1/8 c. soapwort root to 1.5 c. water. This one is 1/8 c. root to a bit more than .5 c. water.

ETA: Here's some fresh pics of my soapwort wash! You can see it's a little bit greasy, but otherwise did pretty nicely!

Last edited by mellie; June 24th, 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Length
    shldr/class/dunno
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Darn it, you guys are making me want to go buy some whole soapnuts now! Luckily it appears that we have an Indian grocery just down the street, although I'd have to take two busses to get there... I might try to make a trip down this week if I get a chance.

I don't suppose aritha powder would work just as well? I ordered some Hesh powders yesterday.
    Lady Nêssa of the Fair-Feathered Flight in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I've never tried aritha powder, although quite a few folks here use it and love it!

So I let my second, stronger batch of soapwort soak overnight. It absorbed some of the water so I only ended up with about 2 oz. of dark brown liquid. I added some water to get to about 4 oz., and some lime juice, and used it this morning. I used about 1 oz. altogether. I squirted it on with my squirt bottle, and let it sit for a minute while I finished my shower. I think it worked better than yesterday, my hair is still wet but it feels cleaner than it did yesterday with the weaker solution. I'll post pics later!

ETA: OK, my hair's now dry and here's pics from my stronger soapwort solution today. It was much more cleansing and my hair dried nice and fast. So I think that ratio (1/8 c. soapwort root with approx. 3/4 c. water, soaked overnight) will work for me!

My scalp is nice and clean and my hair feels soft and clean and bouncy. I'm so excited!! I found a home-grown USA alternative to soapnuts!! And I've even got some growing in my backyard now!!

ETA2: You know what? I just tried this stronger soapwort solution in my foaming soap container, and it's working!!!! It's making a nice foam! I'll try the dry hair/foam method tomorrow morning! If the soapwort continues to work so well for me the next four days, I might have to add a note to the soapnut article about using soapwort in a similar way!
    Last edited by mellie; June 25th, 2009 at 09:48 AM.