Page 126 of 221 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 2203

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Another happy hair day!! Sorry to post again, but I'm so thrilled with the dry hair method! I brushed it out again today, it looks so big and beautiful, with nice natural waves - yay!! Thanks Eaglefeather & Tina sooo much for the dry hair idea!!!

Tina, I've been doing as you suggested here, except starting outside the tub in front of the bathroom mirror:

I get into the bath tub, lean forward and bring all the hair in the front and start applying foam. Once i am done applying the foam i bring my hair back (first i bring them sideway and then bring it back. Then i put my hair up wiht a scrunchy (in a messy bun). Then start takinig shower and etc. I just make sure that water doesnt get in my hair and since i apply the foam on the dry hair it doesnt drip AT ALL....Once i am done putting soap on my body, i untie my hair and wash them. This way i am not wasting any water either.
    This is a great method! Pushing the hair to the front and getting underneath in the back, as you described, has really helped to give my hair TONS of body and volume!!

Also I've had ZERO issues with the "hair cleavage" problem too since doing it this way! I fingercomb right after towel blotting, then kind of scrunch my hair in my hands some at the bottom, which gives it those pretty waves, then I also fold some hair back behind my ears on either side of my face, which gives me pretty "feathered" waves on either side of my face. When it's mostly dry and I head out the door for work, I've lately been brushing it out (which I never used to do). However, my DH said brushing it helps immensely to keep the grays from sticking out, so instead they lay flat and play nice! He seems to be quite right!

P.S. I'm posting also because I want to see other folks' hair too!! :-)
    Last edited by mellie; February 7th, 2009 at 05:38 PM.

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ictureid=31128

Here you go, this was yesterday. I'm pretty sure you have already seen this on another thread because I was taking the picture to get a shot of the new henna, but the shine in this picture is definetly from Soapnut washes and herbal oils.

ETA: Your hair is looking better and better with each picture post!
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

Length
    Pixie/APL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Wow that was quick, thank you ladies!

I think I will just give it a try, I am fine with a temporary color change.

Does anyone have a good recipe for starters with fine, chin - length hair? I read the soapnuts article and about 50+ pages back, but the amounts of nuts and water used seem to vary a lot from user to user.

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Another happy hair day!! Sorry to post again, but I'm so thrilled with the dry hair method! I brushed it out again today, it looks so big and beautiful, with nice natural waves - yay!! Thanks Eaglefeather & Tina sooo much for the dry hair idea!!!

Tina, I've been doing as you suggested here, except starting outside the tub in front of the bathroom mirror:

This is a great method! Pushing the hair to the front and getting underneath in the back, as you described, has really helped to give my hair TONS of body and volume!!

Also I've had ZERO issues with the "hair cleavage" problem too since doing it this way! I fingercomb right after towel blotting, then kind of scrunch my hair in my hands some at the bottom, which gives it those pretty waves, then I also fold some hair back behind my ears on either side of my face, which gives me pretty "feathered" waves on either side of my face. When it's mostly dry and I head out the door for work, I've lately been brushing it out (which I never used to do). However, my DH said brushing it helps immensely to keep the grays from sticking out, so instead they lay flat and play nice! He seems to be quite right!

P.S. I'm posting also because I want to see other folks' hair too!! :-)
    You hair has so much body, I enjoy your frequently posted pictures!
    So just scrunching you hair gives you those beautiful waves? Did they do that before you started washing with soapnuts? Could post a pic of the"feathered" waves, please?

I think the answer depends on your scalp and hair. If your scalp is difficult to keep clean then I would go with a heavier dilution. If your issue seems to be that your hair becomes easily dried out I would go with a lighter dilution. If you suffer a little of both, use a heavier solution at the scalp only and let the rinse water run through your hair and remain for a bit (or not) before rinsing completely.

If you don't seem to have any issues then you get to play around 'cause you gots all kindsa wiggle room, sista!
    Last edited by Silver & Gold; February 7th, 2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: to clarify

Length
    Pixie/Shldr/Trmnl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Retrokitten, me, fine thin-haired girl, use about 5 nuts soaked in somewhere between 3/4 cup and 1 cup of water overnight.
    I have neither oily or dry hair, but since starting to use soapnuts to wash I have noticed that my hair seems to produce less oils on it's own, but then I also use shea butter and/or coconut oil on it after every wash, and I need to wet my hair every day because of bed head in the morning. I usually wash it then too.

"We are now entering subspace. Please stand by and await further disruptions."

Mellie, I am glad the dry hair method is working well for you.. Your hair looks great and they look very thick.

I will post mine tomorrow.

Eaglefeather71, your hair look great and very shiny.

Just an update... I think i had mentioned that my hair was feeling oily and very flat....At the time i was using soapnut powder and shikakai powder....I stopped using shikakai powder and for past two weeks i have been using soapnut powder. My hair doesnt feel clumpy or oily at all.....So i think Shikakai would be great for people who have dry hair. Also my hair growth is incredible...Hopefully i will reach my goal length by June.

I think this is the cheapest cost per wash...... $0.10.6

100gm soapnut powder - $1.49

1 1/2 teaspoon for one wash (bsl) - less for shorter hair (14 wash)

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Eaglefeather, your hair is looking so great! Very shiny and smooth!!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I am sooo happy!!

Retrokitten asked:
    So just scrunching you hair gives you those beautiful waves? Did they do that before you started washing with soapnuts? Could post a pic of the"feathered" waves, please?
    Yes, I just hand-scrunch it out of the shower, and as it dries then it gets those pretty waves. It didn't do that before soapnuts, they have given me much more body and wave. I had a little wave before, but the soapnuts have definitely increased it!

Here's a pic of the "feathered waves" on either side of my face:

It looks really pretty from the front, kind of like a 70s Jaclyn Smith/Farrah Fawcett kinda thing. I get it to do that by tucking a chunk of the hairs on either side of my behind my ear (pulling it out to make a wave) while it's still wet, and letting it dry a bit like that. ETA: Also, I do as Eaglefeather suggested, and brush my hair straight back through my part, which also helps the "feathering" and body!

It's very cool because I don't need to use a curling iron or any styling products either!! It's like the soapnuts are natural curl enhancers, and however you style your hair as it is drying, it will stay that way through the day!

Oh, and I agree with Silver & Gold and Fluke on their recommendations on the recipe. I had to try many different recipes before finding the one that works on my thick, oily hair.

Tina, good to know about the shikakai! I can't wait to see your pics!

ETA: Jojo, thanks again for the vendor link to the sticky soapnuts. I really, really love them! I think they are much better than the Lullwater ones I had been using (although those were good too!). These seem to be a bit more moisturizing, I think, and better cleansing. And they smell nice! I will definitely order them again when this bag runs out!

ETA2: I think I have solved how to wash my face (and body) with soapnut liquid! First, I used re-used soapnuts, so they are already a bit weaker that way. Also, didn't add any lemon. Then, I didn't bother making a foam, just put it in a squirty bottle and shook it up a bit during use. After washing, I immediately followed up my body with some coconut oil. My face (and feet - so weird how regional our skin can be!) likes shea butter better, so I used that for those areas. For my face, since I am prone to clogged pores, I just rubbed the shea butter on my hands, then just held my hands to my face for a minute, so I didn't rub it in or anything. I like the idea of shea butter for my face too, as apparently it is antimicrobial and also a natural sunscreen!
    Last edited by mellie; February 8th, 2009 at 09:50 AM.

Length
    shldr/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    ETA2: I think I have solved how to wash my face (and body) with soapnut liquid! First, I used re-used soapnuts, so they are already a bit weaker that way. Also, didn't add any lemon. Then, I didn't bother making a foam, just put it in a squirty bottle and shook it up a bit during use. After washing, I immediately followed up my body with some coconut oil. My face (and feet - so weird how regional our skin can be!) likes shea butter better, so I used that for those areas. For my face, since I am prone to clogged pores, I just rubbed the shea butter on my hands, then just held my hands to my face for a minute, so I didn't rub it in or anything. I like the idea of shea butter for my face too, as apparently it is antimicrobial and also a natural sunscreen!
    Happy to hear that facewash without lemon = less dry result! I'm still using soapnuts for face without any problems too.

With my soapnut-shampoo a problem came up and i had to clarify yesterday; i washed with soapnuts the day before yesterday, but in the shower it allready felt very coated somehow and then it was sticky velcro all day yesterday! ouch!

Can't say if it was because of the soapnuts, i changed a few things; did a cassia treatment 1,5 weeks ago and have been using AVG as a leave-in topped of with a mixture of almond and castor oil.
    A possibility that crossed my mind is that my liquid wasn't strong enough to remove the layers of castor oil... (i never use lemon in my soapnut mixtures, but maybe i should?)
    Anyway, next wash will be a soapnut wash again, will skip the almond/castor and just use some coconut oil. Keep you posted

Still no pictures to show off, but the shine on the pictures i've seen here is amazing!!!

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge" (Daniel J Boorstin)

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Hm, castor oil is pretty viscous and thick, maybe you are right about that!