Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy henna in Canada

Default Re: Where to buy henna in Canada

Any advice on what kind? I want deep coppery orange hair. My hair is orangy red now (commercial dye) but has a lot of red in it naturally.
    Jamilla, Reshma, Afshan, Rajasthani, Mumtaz?? Are they different shades of red?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Yet another vote for Henna Sooq. Yes, the main store moved to the US, but they still have Canadian distributors and ship Canadian orders via Canada Post.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    1.5/1.5/30
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

henna sooq is awesome, i used to order or go down and purchase my henna from the store in toronto

Length
    62cm/15 cm/NA
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    Any advice on what kind? I want deep coppery orange hair. My hair is orangy red now (commercial dye) but has a lot of red in it naturally.
    I'm just getting started with henna myself - waiting for my first batch from HennaSooq to arrive! I got hung up on the different kinds, too, but now I'm feeling a bit more relaxed about it. At the heart of it, they all work by infusing the hair with lawsome. Although hennas from different areas may give a slightly different effect because of other chemicals absorbed by the plant, the red all comes from that one thing. I have yet to see anyone do a comparison of test hairs dyed with just henna from different areas - so I can't say if there really is a difference. I think if you want to influence the shade, you're better off playing around with other herbs that can be added to the mix.

Other folks here with more experience might be able to correct me!

Because of my particular immune system problems, it was important to me to make sure I was getting BAQ henna, so I don't mind paying the extra for Henna Sooq. Compared with getting my hair dyed red in the salon every 6 weeks, it's practically free!
    "Snuggling is sex without the fluid exchange."

Length
    1.5/1.5/30
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

i used to use the yemeni henna... here are some pics of my hair at the time.

Length
    AP/BSL/WL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Actually Henna Sooq has operations in both Canada and the USA, and you do not have to pay international shipping if you are in Canada.
    Last edited by ellisbell; December 20th, 2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo

Length
    AP/BSL/WL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    Henna is very dependent on your starting colour and be forewarned that if your died hair is a different shade from your roots, you may end up with two toned hair. I would peruse the henna boards here and look at the different before and after pictures to gage what your colour could be. Of course always do a strand test before you apply.

I have read yemeni is the most true red, but it is often hard to find due to conflict in the area. I have tried the organic rajasthani blend from henna sooq and liked it but because I have dark brown hair did not see a drastic colour change. I am waiting for an order of the new red raj and it is supposed to more red than the organic rajasthani, which some people claim is more burgundy.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Oooh, I will have to give them another look then! Last time I looked at their site the shipping price they quoted was so high that it would have nearly doubled the final tally and I was afraid of getting nailed by customs on top of that.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    Chin/APL/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Henna sooq ships out of Mississauga, Ontario, so very close to you. I live in Montreal and I get my order in a few days only. They have amazing service.

That is close! I wish it were close enough to pick up in person!

I have thought to buy Jamilla only because it seems to be the most common kind. Everyone has that same box of Jamilla, in addition to the other types here and there. It's that same box of Jamilla that is for sale from Halalco and Hennasooq. Halalco doesn't have the year on their's (Hennasooq does) so might be older, but still the same exact box.

At Halalco, that 100g box is $1.99, at Hennasooq the exact 100g box with the year is $7.99! At Halalco I can get 400g for the same price as 100g from Hennasooq, if I don't care what the year is. I know the year is important but I don't have much money to spend on it and want to get enough for many root applications so I don't have to order again for a long time.

But it has to be pure BAQ henna and I won't need to use as much of the newer stuff, something to think about. Man! This is a hard decision! lol!

Travel time is not an issue. I don't need it for another month or so, anyway. I want my current colouring to fade more and grow out some.

This is a big purchase for me, so I have to think about it before I do it and get the most for my money.