Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to put braids in that aren't visible?

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Is there a way to put braids in that aren't visible?

Quote Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
    Weird question, I know, but I have to have my hair bunned for the job I'm taking after I graduate and it doesn't allow visible braids, which is how I keep most of my thick hair anchored.

So is there a way to put braids in that aren't so.... visible?
    Do rope braids. They don't look like a braid. Wrap them around into a bun, or do several into a bun. I would find out what it is about the braid that isn't allowed though. Is it that most braids hang down and they want the hair up?
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

Type
    2c/M/iii

I think it's crazy that braids aren't allowed, you could just do a bun.
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
    Helen Keller

Length
    17 in/19 in/waist
    Type
    1a/F/i

I would think a classic braided bun would be fine. My guess is they want employees to be neat and well groomed. For example, in my office I have a "no jeans" policy but every once in a while one of my employees will wear a super cute pair of dark denim jeans that look like slacks and I just let it slide because she still looks professional. If you're really worried about it, why don't you just ask your supervisor?

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    I would get clarification and maybe discuss why this requirement is dangerous ground to your HR.
    First part, definitely. (Even better, have a meeting before your first day and wear your usual hairstyle and directly ask "would this be ok for work". If you can't do that, perhaps you could photo the hairstyle (on you - in a normal pose, not an LHC pose that focuses on the bun massively) and email that and ask would it be ok).

However, I really wouldn't take the second part of Manderly's advice. Jobs are few and far between right now. Last thing you need is to be marked as a troublemaker or, worse, 'fired' before you even start.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Panth View Post
    However, I really wouldn't take the second part of Manderly's advice. Jobs are few and far between right now. Last thing you need is to be marked as a troublemaker or, worse, 'fired' before you even start.
    A good point I did not consider.

Oh dear, plaits aren't neat and professional?

Length
    8/19/36
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I should have just come out and said it -- I'm in the military, so regulation strictly determines what I can an cannot do with my hair.

The jist of regulation:
    ** No portion of the bulk of the hair, as measured from the scalp, will exceed approximately 2 inches (except a bun, which may extend a maximum of 3 inches from the scalp) and no wider than the width of the head.
    ** Multiple braids may be worn, but be uniform dimension, small in diameter (approx. 1/4 inch), show no more than 1/8 of an inch of scalp between the braids and must be tightly interwoven to present a neat, professional, well groomed
    appearance.

I'm trying not to cut my hair if I don't have to, but I may not have a choice.

So the clarify some of the comments, I can do a braided bun, but it's more comfortable if I do two french braids and then coil them into a bun (better anchor, same size end bun, and it lasts the hours I need from 5am-7pm without retouches usually). The issue is I can't have the two french braids showing, those are out of regulation. That's why I was asking about "invisible braids."

Wonky request, but if anyone else has a suggestion with the new information?

(And thanks so much guys! And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!)

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

One problem with what they are requiring here is that some folks who wear tight braids all the time get traction alopecia and show more scalp than that. They have no choice. I can see that requirement causing them trouble at some point. I am not understanding the rest of the regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments!

I should have just come out and said it -- I'm in the military, so regulation strictly determines what I can an cannot do with my hair.

The jist of regulation:
    ** No portion of the bulk of the hair, as measured from the scalp, will exceed approximately 2 inches (except a bun, which may extend a maximum of 3 inches from the scalp) and no wider than the width of the head.
    ** Multiple braids may be worn, but be uniform dimension, small in diameter (approx. 1/4 inch), show no more than 1/8 of an inch of scalp between the braids and must be tightly interwoven to present a neat, professional, well groomed
    appearance.

I'm trying not to cut my hair if I don't have to, but I may not have a choice.

So the clarify some of the comments, I can do a braided bun, but it's more comfortable if I do two french braids and then coil them into a bun (better anchor, same size end bun, and it lasts the hours I need from 5am-7pm without retouches usually). The issue is I can't have the two french braids showing, those are out of regulation. That's why I was asking about "invisible braids."

Wonky request, but if anyone else has a suggestion with the new information?

(And thanks so much guys! And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!)
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    3 in/thigh/knee
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

The military bun comes to my mind after I had read your new post.

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

What about a single french braid that starts a little further back on your head, with a little aloe vera gel to anchor any wispies down?

I know when I bun my french braided hair it stays anchored but covers up the 'french' portion. (And my hair is only i/ii)

Ravenreed, I don't think the military really cares about traction alopecia; that they allow multiple braids at all is sort of surprising and a giant step toward accommodation. I'm assuming the standard issue sock bun will be too large on you? (Maybe if you start with a little tiny kid's sock?)
    erika
    Why is a raven like a writing desk?