Thread: Karenlynn Knot Instructions - Where?!

Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Karenlynn Knot Instructions - Where?!

Have just spent an undue amount of time sifting through years of material that appears to have disappeared in order to locate the instructions for this style.

it used to be my go-to bun. In fact, my hands would automatically form this without my even thinking - thinking would mess it up!

Well, my hands have gone whacky and no longer can be counted on to function and I can't make this now. And I want to make this now!

Does anyone have a tutorial that is actually there, or knows of one that's there, or can make a new one? I'd really like to be able to do this again, as it always came easy to me and looked great on my hair.

Thanks!
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Karenlynn Knot Instructions - Where?!

Peggy E., I'm so sorry I can't find any workable links either (it looks like many parts of old LHC are down at the moment), but could this be the video you mean, by any chance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEtHr-EeBy8
    It's by KarenLynnLHC, but it could be a variation on her original bun, I don't know.

I think this thread might be of some help: Karenlynn knot vs. celtic knot question - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=18183

Quote Originally Posted by KarenLynn View Post
    The link Waitingsolong put up is how I learned to do the double-looped knot from Twitch's original picture instructions. It is, as far as I know, the same style that's also known as a celtic knot.

The KL knot has two differences from the double-looped knot. It wraps the other way, clockwise as opposed to counter-clockwise, and the length is pulled through the loop and wrapped around instead of creating the second loop that I guess has given the double-looped knot its name.

It doesn't look like I ever put the tutorial for the KL knot up on youtube, but you can find it in the articles section if you want to compare the two. The original version is here (text and pictures only) and the version for longer hair here (video link at the end of the article). Hope that helps.

Growing back to TBL! &:D LongCurlyTress's Avatar
    Type
    3b/F/iii

Oh how fun!! I had forgotten about this bun!! Thanks for asking about it Peggy E. and thank you for posting those great video links meteor!

July, 2016 @ 37inches TBL

Length
    21/32.25/38
    Type
    1b/M/ii

loved that buun can't hardley wait for my hair to get long enough to do it again
    Lady Abnoba, Protectress of the Glades and Springs in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20"/40.5"/47"
    Type
    2c/F/ii

OK, I used the Wayback Machine and the links posted here to dig up the article: Style how-to: the original KarenLynn knot

And I thought that, for the sake of reference, I'd repost it here (at least the text, and links to the pictures that I could find):

This style works from ~BSL hair, depending on thickness. It's quick, comfy and secure, and doesn't require twisting.

This article was first posted in October 2006. The pictures were taken in May 2006. My hair was around 29" long, and low-ish ii in thickness.

First tutorial photo (photobucket link)

Gather hair into ponytail, put two fingers over it, and loop the ponytail over your fingers. Wrap the length clockwise (twist if you like, but it's not necessary), grab it with your left thumb, and move right hand around to grasp the tail from the other side.

Second tutorial photo (photobucket link)

Now, grab the length with the two fingers that are in the loop, hold the loop with right thumb and index finger while pulling the length through it. Flatten the loop, and insert hair toy of choice across it. And that's all! I'm just leaving the ends sticking out, at least for now. There's just a couple of inches of them anyway.

A bigger pic of the finished style.

[could not find this pic]

It can also be secured with a fork, hair sticks, etc.

[or this pic]

Depending on length, you can wrap it twice around before pulling it through the loop, or pull it through first and wrap it another round afterwards.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

^ Thanks so much for finding and posting the details and the pictorial, kjirstiben!
    It does look a bit different from the Celtic Knot Bun (and eats up more length)...
    It would be so cool to see video instructions for this some day, to try it out.

Type
    1c/M/ii

Thank you so much for finding this information, kjirstiben.

I've tried it out and can now do my favorite style again!
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Cool, thanks for digging that up! I remember doing it quite often when my hair was shorter.

So what I'm seeing, for people who look at these things and interpret them as knots in a rope (surely it's not only me, right?), is a figure-8 knot. Not to be confused with a figure-8 or infinity bun, which aren't actually knots. By contrast, a celtic knot bun is an overhand knot with a drawloop, and there are about a zillion different-looking ways to arrange it (which is why they often look different on different people). Does that help anyone?
    Last edited by Anje; September 2nd, 2015 at 11:42 AM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

^ Oh man, I'm so terrible at understanding written instructions... Anje, what is the figure-8-knot? Is it what the double-loop bun by KarenLynn looks like or maybe what the L-infinity bun? They both create a "figure 8" by wrapping hair.
    There are a lot of videos for the Celtic Knot Bun... But does anybody know if there is a video that shows the Karenlynn Knot?