Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for understated formal styles without sticks

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Looking for understated formal styles without sticks

I perform frequently in orchestra or other settings where I have to follow concert dress code. It’s fairly strict- everything has to be black, formal, and simple. As for the hair, I need to have it pulled out of my face otherwise it interferes with things. It has to be simple. Accessories that don’t match a black outfit or that act as dangerous weapons when you’re moving around in close quarters are pretty much a no; i.e. - none of my sticks work for this.

For now my go-tos are a cinnabun secured with pins, a simple half-up braid, or a French Twist with pins. But I’d like to find new styles. Also as my hair gets longer (I’m nearly at hip) I won’t be able to do the French Twist anymore. I’m tired of cinnabuns and I don’t always want to mess with a half up. I want to dress up my hair without it being over the top. I’m a bit at a loss.

Does anyone have any suggestions for formal hairstyles that are long hair friendly, fancy yet understated, and stick free?
    ~BSL~MBL~WAIST~HIP~BCL~TBL~TBL+

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Looking for understated formal styles without sticks

Vortex Bun springs immediately to mind as fancy, understated, and stick free. Also, last months Style of the Month. Scan the Hairstyle Thesaurus for styles that don’t include sticks or other stickyouty things. I’m sure there are many others.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/WL/Hip+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I was thinking perhaps a French/Dutch braid, with the tail wrapped into a low bun. You could secure it with an elastic, ribbon, or pins.

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Eastbound&Down View Post
    I was thinking perhaps a French/Dutch braid, with the tail wrapped into a low bun. You could secure it with an elastic, ribbon, or pins.
    I agree with the French braid. French braids look soft and elegant (whereas Dutch are more sporty and tighter to the scalp). Any bun you can secure with a stick you can secure with invisible pins, or with pearl u-pins or any of their dressy cousins.

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Vortex Bun springs immediately to mind as fancy, understated, and stick free. Also, last months Style of the Month. Scan the Hairstyle Thesaurus for styles that don’t include sticks or other stickyouty things. I’m sure there are many others.
    Hmmm, a vortex bun... that’s one bun I’ve never been able to figure out. For whatever reason it will never hold in my hair. I’ll try it again- maybe I have the length for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastbound&Down View Post
    Braid with ribbon... I love that idea! I should get some black velvety ribbon and tie a cute little bow or something. That’s an example of an accessory that would be very appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    Any bun you can secure with a stick you can secure with invisible pins, or with pearl u-pins or any of their dressy cousins.
    Is that true? I was under the impression that certain buns ( e.g. nautilus, disc, LWB) could only be held with a stick, or something like it. I haven’t tried holding my everyday nautilus- variation with pins. Maybe I just need to get a few U-pins because I’ve only ever used Bobby pins, which I love.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

A black Ficcare Maxima would work well for that too. Nautilus works well with them!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Handel'sWig View Post
    .... Is that true? I was under the impression that certain buns ( e.g. nautilus, disc, LWB) could only be held with a stick, or something like it. I haven’t tried holding my everyday nautilus- variation with pins. Maybe I just need to get a few U-pins because I’ve only ever used Bobby pins, which I love.
    I can't imagine a bun that it wouldn't hold true for. I use pins only quite regularly. There used to be people on this forum, and perhaps still are, who never used anything except pins, no hairtoys ever.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    A black Ficcare Maxima would work well for that too. Nautilus works well with them!
    I second the Ficcare. Those things hold like a rock.
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    I can't imagine a bun that it wouldn't hold true for. I use pins only quite regularly. There used to be people on this forum, and perhaps still are, who never used anything except pins, no hairtoys ever.
    Spidermom's Bum would be awkward to do with pins, but yes, most of them can be done quite handily with pins.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Ooh a figure-8 bun and the related orchid bun would probably hold well with spin pins. I wanna say treble clef bun because it would be *so* apt but I'm not sure ... I guess a sturdy U-pin might hold the top bit? (Sadly I've not seen or dreamt up any other clef bun )

I don't know if a braided bun would be simple enough; it's fancy and something just slightly different.

A slim stick or fork matching your hair and the same length as your bun is wide could maybe work too, especially e.g. for twisted buns where you won't get parts of the hair slipping over the ends. I'm thinking something like a natural wood Ketylo or ... well actually I can't think of any particular forks. Just a thought though
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness