I've always wanted classic-or-longer hair, but, for some reason, my hair seemed to grow really slowly, and capped out just around BSL.

In sophomore year of college, a girl in my Japanese class had waist-length hair, and I decided again that I was going to have long hair (hadn't had a serious cut since 7th grade, when it was cut to BSL again, but I only lost like 3 inches. Hadn't gotten very far, had I?)

I started a routine that went like this: the same benign neglect I'd previously done, but, remembering how my little brother once had to do something called "tapping" every night (it's a way to calm down), I added a little chant to convince myself that it COULD grow. My chant went like this:

MY hair will grow longer (repeat that 10 times). My HAIR will grow longer (repeat that 10 times). My hair WILL grow longer (repeat that 10 times). My hair will GROW longer (repeat that 10 times). My hair will grow LONGER (repeat that 10 times).

I just mumbled it fast, changing the emphasis as I've shown after 10 repetitions of the phrase, and counted it off on my fingers to keep track of where I was while I was in the shower. It's a fast thing if you race through it, it only took me about a minute to do the whole thing, and just saying it, not thinking about it really, does the trick. (When I felt like getting elaborate, I'd do another set of 100 for "My hair will grow faster," and "my hair will be shiny" and whatever else I felt like throwing in.)

Crazily, my hair, which seemed to be just about terminal at BSL (I still can't figure out why it wouldn't grow!) just TOOK OFF and grew like a weeeed! It raced down to waist, then tbl, and I'm at classic now. I'm thrilled!

Hair growth takes a while even with this, but it makes you feel like you're DOING something to help, and it couldn't hurt, right? Does anyone do this, or feel like trying it out? Let me know your results!

(By the way, I don't think it was just growth spurt doing its thing, because when I stopped doing it once in a while [whenever you think of it works, although nightly got better results for me], my hair growth slowed back to a crawl. When I saw it inching along, I started again, and my hair took off once more.)