Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My almost 4 year old's hair..

Length
    Chin/Shldr/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default My almost 4 year old's hair..

My little girl will be 4 in February. Her hair is currently APL. She has had trims every 4 months since she was 1 (just because I thought she needed it for "healthy" hair.. I obviously know different now).. but she hasn't had one since November (we had to even up from her "cutting" her own hair with nail clippers that my DH left sitting out :/ ), and she said that she wants her hair to be long like Rapunzel...

I in NO way influence her style choices (other than being her mom and her seeing what I do and the things that I like).. it's her clothes/hair/life, so I don't say things like, you should wear this, look like this, have hair like this.. So this isn't a case of, ''I'm going to live vicariously through my daughter and grow her hair long because I want mine long too''...

BUT.. she was sitting beside me while I was on LHC one night, and I was looking at a friend's album and she yelled with glee: It's Rapunzel, Mommy!! No, mommy, really, it's her! I want hair like THAT!!

I told her 'of course', that we will be very careful with her hair (as always) and she can grow it as long as she wants to.. she's excited and we oil our hair together now (which is so cute because she "recommends" which oil and tells me "why" we should use 'said' oil hehe)

My question is this:

Since she is so young, is there a shorter terminal length for children than adults? Is there a reason why her hair may not grow very much longer?

She says she wants it long "like a dress" lol.. so I'm guessing that's around knee length.. I've never seen a child in real life under 11-12 with hair this long (that i can remember), I'm sure it's probably because most kids have regular trims..

I'm sure there is a member on LHC that knows about child hair growth and if it is just like for adults, or maybe not?

*Please don't comment with things like 'wow, you're not very smart, of course it can grow long, duh'... I'm aware my question may seem "dense" for others, but I am actually wanting to know...

Her hair grows one inch EVERY month and is VERY fine, but super thick. She doesn't have split ends and she loses minimal hair daily.. when I brush it, no hair is in the brush, but when we wash it, there are maybe 5-10 hairs when we rinse... hope that helps..

It's not a big deal, I'm just curious.. either way, she's the most awesome little girl I've ever known and will ever know and this is just a "for fun/good to know" question..

I just want to keep this thread light-hearted, and not turn into a discussion about my mothering skills..

Lady Verisiel of the Triskle Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~ Current Mini Goal: APL by DEC 2013

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: My almost 4 year old's hair..

There are definitely little girls (and boys, I'm sure) with hair that long. I think sometimes it's hard because kids encounter a lot of damage and can't take care of their own hair yet so things happen, but I've seen kids with really long hair.
    Knee+ length! Lady Gelôs, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/35"/55"
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I've actually seen a girl who was probably about 5 or 6 with hair past classic.

I wonder if it's because they're growing quickly, you're not as likely to see a kid with super long hair because they're growing at the same time?

Or something? Maybe my theory is wrong.

~maborosi~

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

My friends daughter has classic length hair, or just past classic (its hard to tell with kids, they have no bums, it is past her bum though. ) and it is gorgeous. She is six turning seven, and has had her hair cut once to her shoulders, if they had not cut it, I am sure it would be down to her knees by now.

I think the only thing that might happen, is that if they go through a growth spurt, their hair will "shrink" because the marker will have moved.
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

It sounds like she has good potential to grow. There is a girl at my school who is five and her hair is hip length and probably 3a and M/C. She has some of the thickest hair I've ever seen, it is even hard for me to braid! It is very blunt cut, so she probably has trims often. As a comparison, there are kids who have what still looks like what I consider "baby" hair. You know, very fine and limp and barely covers their head? I had hair like that. I was not able to grow long hair until high school. What I guess I'm trying to say is that, just like adults, children all have very different hair and terminal lengths. If it is already thick and growing an inch a month, she can probably grow it out fairly well. No one will know what her terminal length is until she reaches it. But, she is only 4, and by the time it might reach what would be terminal at 4, she will already be older and taller, and it will not look quite as long. Does that make any sense? Hmm..I guess I don't really think of young children as having "terminal" because they are growing so fast, their hair probably grows along with them. Just make sure she gets proper nutrition and watch out for growth spurts. My sister had one at 13 that made her hair fall out because she grew so fast and did not get enough nutrients. Ok, now Ithink I'm rambling. Sorry. Happy Growing!

Length
    Chin/Shldr/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I thought pictures might help lol..

This^^ Is her hair at 22 months old

This^^ is her hair in July 2011 with layers..

This ^^ is her hair in November 2011.. the layers pretty much trimmed out..
    Lady Verisiel of the Triskle Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~ Current Mini Goal: APL by DEC 2013

Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Hmmm, why can't I see your pics?

I'm sure it will grow. My 3 year old has hair to her waist that has never been cut. Today she let me bun it with my new hair fork.

I see another girl at her school, about 7 or 8, that has a tailbone length braid. I am fine with my daughter growing it that long, but I do worry a bit about safety issues with very long hair - playground equipment, etc. I guess I will just braid it into buns or something when it gets longer to keep it closer to her head at school.

Have fun with the growing out process!

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

J is 6 and has mid thigh length hair wet, waist to hip dry. She's got alot of curls. BIG thing for school, her hair is contained. Otherwise, the risk of her getting it caught. Also, playing or chores, hair is back. Good habit to get going.

Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

MandyBeth, what styles do you find work well for school containment (I like that!)?

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Braided figure8 with a Flexi is J's first choice most days. She's good about leaving it in, plus the braid at least keeps it from exploding as her curls like to. Braided cinnabun with claw clips is another favorite.