Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough buns!

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Tough buns!

Please, can anyone recommend any hair bun styles that are especially sturdy? When done correctly, of course. Ones that can, hopefully, hold up during very intense physical activity - horseback riding, hiking, martial arts, etc?
    Angels are bright still, though the brightest one fell. ~Macbeth

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Tough buns!

Spinder I don’t know what it’s called, maybe a Chinese bun? but you wrap the hair length around the hair stick like a tourniquet, before pushing the stick back on itself picking up some scalp hair. Holds like cement. Sorry I can’t find a video, I sort of discovered this on myself when my hair was shorter, then found it is an actual bun! Hopefully someone knows where there’s a vid for you
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    Waist/TBL/Hmm
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

For me the disc bun holds like a rock, it feels tight too.
    I use it to work out, (well when I did work out ): for extra security I do a ponytail on the top of my head and then disc bun and secure with a short pencil that barely pokes out of the bun.

Other than that, buns held with one or more claw clips can be sturdier than those held with sticks.

Other than buns, some braided styles that are flatter against your head are Elling woman's braided bun and Amish braids. I haven't tried these myself but they seem to hold well and be comfy.
    Midback ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ Buttcrack ~ Tailbone! ~ Classic ~ Fingertip? ~ Knee??
    Now happily maintaining tailbone length. I'm not done growing though... Just waiting for my ends to thicken

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Braided double-wrapped infinity with the stick stuck through on the side of the hand that held the L-finity (not the side that wrapped it—prevents tipping and snagging my neck hairs) has never fallen off on me. It holds like a rock.

Single-wrapped would probably also be sturdy; I started double wrapping because I had a lot of length left. It’s stood up to at least forty-five minutes of continuous trampolining and has the added side benefit of taking only a few minutes to do, unlike Amish braids (which used to be my go-to).

Length
    SL/?/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Spinder I don’t know what it’s called, maybe a Chinese bun? but you wrap the hair length around the hair stick like a tourniquet, before pushing the stick back on itself picking up some scalp hair. Holds like cement. Sorry I can’t find a video, I sort of discovered this on myself when my hair was shorter, then found it is an actual bun! Hopefully someone knows where there’s a vid for you
    This bun does not hold for me! Well, the way your described it anyway. I don't know the name either

Quote Originally Posted by WavyWannabe View Post
    For me the disc bun holds like a rock, it feels tight too.
    I use it to work out, (well when I did work out ): for extra security I do a ponytail on the top of my head and then disc bun and secure with a short pencil that barely pokes out of the bun.

Other than that, buns held with one or more claw clips can be sturdier than those held with sticks.

Other than buns, some braided styles that are flatter against your head are Elling woman's braided bun and Amish braids. I haven't tried these myself but they seem to hold well and be comfy.
    Disc buns hold really securely for me. A modified pretzel bun with a hair tie on first does too.
    ☼ Cut bleach out to CBL 08/22

Length
    1"/36"/42"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Spinder View Post
    Please, can anyone recommend any hair bun styles that are especially sturdy? When done correctly, of course. Ones that can, hopefully, hold up during very intense physical activity - horseback riding, hiking, martial arts, etc?
    I second WavyWannabe about the Disc Bun. I use it to garden because it is rock solid. I would suggest the Quattro Starlight fork to secure it if possible. Because the Starlight is curved to the head and is a simple U-shape without adornments it is less likely to get pushed out of a bun. It won't break and it won't be damaged by sweat. Also, getting the correct size without excess length on the Starlight or any hair tool that you choose for strenuous activity is important.

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

A traditional ballet bun is excellent at holding up against lots of centrifugal force. So a ponytailed cinnabun held with Amish or spin pins and covered with a hairnet. Generously applied Aquanet over the whole shebang and nothing will move no matter what.
    At my goal length of Classic after 2.5 years here at the LHC.
    (still growing though lol)

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Maybe a cinnamon secured with at least 3 spinpins.

Edit: I don't have much luck running with forks. On some days the buns hold, on others they don't. But spinpins have never come undone on my head.
    Last edited by Finda; January 27th, 2021 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added info

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I do a braided bun held with spin pins for martial arts and it works well. I've also had fairly good luck with a nautilus held with a three or four prong fork.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Like others above, I usually find that the braided version of most buns holds a little better than the unbraided version, especially if you start from a French braid/s. It gives your pins/stick a little more structure along the scalp to "hook" into.

My most reliable style for activity, though, is not a bun at all, but a coronet braid. I get a little confused about the terminology--I mean the one where you lace braid all around your head, forming a little "pocket" to put the tail into. My hair is textured enough that it holds okay without any pinning, but even four or five pins make it solid enough for swimming, boxing, etc.