Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to use a ribbon the Korean way? Daenggi

Default How to use a ribbon the Korean way? Daenggi

This is a picture of a traditional Korean hair accessory called Daenggi.
    I have always love this, but now I am really interested in doing it myself.
    Does anyone know how to swirrrl this in the hair? I can;t seem to find a tutorial on WWW.

Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: How to use a ribbon the Korean way? Daenggi

It's awfully hard to see from this picture. Is this actually worked into the hair, then, not simply tied on?

Looks pretty, what I can make out, anyway. I love the traditional Korean dresses, too, the woman are so elegant.
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

This is the only picture I could find...

But in this clip it also show a daenggi in the 0:17 (17th second)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEKt7no-NoY

Type
    3a/F/M/i/ii

It is pretty, I did some digging and all I could find was this:
    Yongjam and Daenggi The bride's hair was pulled back tightly and tied at the back of her neck. A yongjam (long hairpin with a dragon head at one end) was placed through her tied hair. A dot'urak daenggi (a long, wide piece of dark silk, embroidered with gold lettering) attached to the jokduri and hung down the bride's back. A thinner ap' daenggi hung from each side of the yongjam, resting along the front of the wonsam.
    I don't really know what it means, the web site was about traditional wedding customs of Korea.
    Lady Emyn of the Red Mountains in the Oder of the Long Haired Knights
    "Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?"

Length
    SL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Curlyone,

Your research is interesting. And oddly enough my DH just brought this back from Korea for me. Do you all think it might be a "Yongjam" ???

I am sorry if the pictures are huge! I am a newb!

And a somewhat fuzzy close up:

Regards,

~Ven

Nice pin, beautifully carved.
    How strange it is, to be this hard to find info about a traditional Korean accessory online. Probably on Korean sites, but I can't read it...

It is a pity we don't have Korean towns in the Netherlands...
    I still find it crazy, because the costumes are fairytalisch beautiful and this accessory is a part of it!!!

Length
    Short/Clssc/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I found the following description here: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&u=http://www.aks.ac.kr/glossary/glossary_detail.asp%3Fg_code%3D8154%26page%3D8%26c _code%3D10%26search_field%3D%26keyword%3D%26order% 3Dg_chinese%26kanada%3D&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1 0&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhow%2Bto%2Btie%2Ba%2Bdaenggi%26hl%3De n%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26hs%3DiVV

"Daenggi - (pigtail ribbon) specifically refers to a strip of cloth that an unmarried person used to tie to the end of his or her braid"

And indeed, in this picture, it looks like it has a string attached to the top of it so you can just tie it onto the bottom of the braid: http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/ena/CU/CU_EN_8_3_2.jsp

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Lady Alassiel of Water and Wisdom in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by danacc View Post
    I found the following description here: http://translate.google.com/translat...ial%26hs%3DiVV

"Daenggi - (pigtail ribbon) specifically refers to a strip of cloth that an unmarried person used to tie to the end of his or her braid"

And indeed, in this picture, it looks like it has a string attached to the top of it so you can just tie it onto the bottom of the braid: http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/ena/CU/CU_EN_8_3_2.jsp
    Oh Danacc, thank you so much for the effort. Now I know a little bit more about it. As long as I am unmarried I can wear a daenggi...haha...

"The string" could be an elastic band to keep the braid together.
    Wow...such a mystery... Thanks again!

Still searching...

The last thing I want to be is a necro, but I didn't want to start a new thread that people may not be interested in.

I was actually looking up photos of Daeng-gi ribbons (because I wanted to make my own) and found this thread.

Daeng-gi simply means "Hair on top of the head." The accessories themselves have different names. The ribbon tends to be referred to as a daeng-gi ribbon because it's the ribbon that goes on the hair, instead of a ribbon elsewhere. I would assume that a similar daeng-gi ribbon is used, since that ribbon is needed to anchor the looped bun later on. The ones for single women tend to be very elaborate since it's easily seen.

As for the Yeongjam (pronounced yaung) is a specific binyeo. These hair sticks, or binyeo (been-yauh) are only worn by married women after they loop their pigtails. The yeongjam is the actual name for the binyeo with a dragon's head carving. This was reserved for the empress, since the dragon was the symbol of the Joseon royal family. Royalty was the only family allowed to wear gold as well. These days, in weddings, you'll see traditional wear end up closely resembling Joseon royal wear.

Now, about the ribbon. Most of the time, in Joseon period dramas, you'll see them have a ribbon, headband, or even the hanbok tied with only one loop. The daeng-gi ribbon is tied in the same manner. However, you want the loop wide and flat, so that it hangs down. The photo here looks very different than what I'm used to seeing. In many Korean dramas I've seen the loop hanging down flat, while the two "tails" of the tied ribbon hanging down. I know it's the same way everything else is tied; it's just like us tying a bow, but they keep one loop instead of two.

I actually tie my coat belts this way because it looks very neat and sleek. After tying the base for a bow, I loop the left "tail" over my fingers, pull the final loop in place through the hole I made, then pull on the anchored "tail" to tighten it in place. If anyone is interested, I'll take pictures. There's only one good video on "how to tie a hanbok." It applies to virtually anything related to tying in terms of Joseon wear, including the ribbons and even the Yangban hats that men wore.