Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Care For Baby-Fine Hair

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Best Care For Baby-Fine Hair

I've been growing my hair for about 9 years,and it certainly has grown long. However, it seems like it could look better than it does. I don't have a lot of splits, but it does break very easily. I keep it up or braided except when it is drying, and I treat it as gently as I can, but it seems like I have more breakage in the length than I should. My biggest problem is keeping it from tangling so that I don't have to cut out knots.

I have colored it a couple of times with a professional demi-permanent color. I haven't thought i got much damage from that, but maybe I did. I'm about to cut it back to Waist again to thicken up the ends, but it doesn't seem like I should have to.

Interested in what others with truly baby-fine hair like mine do to keep theirs from getting damaged. Also, what is the longest you have gotten it to be?
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Default Re: Best Care For Baby-Fine Hair

I'm sure I'm the worst possible person to give advice here (considering my scissor-happy past), but at least I've got experience.

1. Heavy-duty treatments do not work with my baby fine hair. CO, or too frequent conditioning result in overladen hair with lots of build-up. There is no point in having hair of any length if it does not look good, and fine hair treated to the point where it resembles a greaseball is just ugly.
    Keep the hair clean and use conditioner where you need to: the ends. Use leave-ins instead of regular conditioner or masks, if need be.

2. Fine-haired people should pay more attantion to avoiding mechanical damage and heat damage. (Abbrasion, sharp combs, combs with too thick tines, BBBs - unless your hair is stick-straight -, flat irons and blowdryers.)

3. The updo that looks fab on someone with 2c / M/C /iii hair will not look the same on someone else with 1a / F /i/ii hair. High ponytails, or buns on top of the head, etc. - updos that leave the hairline visible - rarely look good on people with fine and/or thin hair. More relaxed styles, however, do.

4. Washing one's hair often is not a sin. Even if it happens every day. It just isn't.

I'm currently growing out my 2c / F /i/ii hair out for the umpteenth time, this time accepting the fact that haircare routines followed by people with more or coarser hair than mine do not suit me. Here's hoping I can make it this time.

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Knee/Thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I qualify! My hair's really fine and delicate, and tangles very easily...The longest it has been is fingertip, I think, and it's now a bit past classic. At the moment, I have to deal with a good number of splits in the last inches of my hair, they're not really visible (I've been told by many that my hair doesn't have splits, actually!), but there. That was because I spent a few years neglecting my fine hair - meaning I wore the same low ponytail nearly everyday and didn't disentangle it properly . Now I'm back to proper haircare, I think it's much better. My ends are split-free and a bit thicker (now trimming again!!), and the rest of the splits will be disappearing (I hope) with S&D and future trims...
    This is what I do to care for my fine hair:

-I never use a comb to disentangle!! Only my fingers. I disentangle my hair very patiently and slowly, morning and night and after washes, and try not to break through tangles, but take hairs one by one from the knots. If I feel the knot is too damaged to save more hairs -and if it's small-, I may be forced to cut it off ...
    -I use a very gentle brush, intended for babies. It works and doesn't damage my fine hair.
    -I wear my hair down as well as up and in braids, but I tend to alternate between all the styles, and have special care not to sit on my hair or brush it against anything when it's down.
    -I use Klorane's shampoo for fine hair...It claims to be able to give fine hair a bit more boost, and take static electricity, and so far, I haven't noticed a huge boost, but my hair seems to like it.
    -I use pure aloe vera gel on the length as a leave-in. I have the hope it will help my splits...
    -Using henna and cassia has helped my hair too.

Keeping my hair from tangling is my main problem too...For the moment being, I just treat it very carefully, and try to keep it untangled everyday so that I don't have to deal with huge knots...Now I disentangle frequently - and as soon as I begin to notice some tangling-, I've been able to keep it from tangling too much...But still, it tangles sooo easily!
    So I'll keep an eye on this thread!

Length
    24/40/CLC
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I have really baby fine hair. I have grown to TBL in the past which is about 41 on me I think. That was in the days when I used to wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner every second day and I brushed my hair when wet. The knots were incredible. I did manage to grow as I trimmed so much off - so progress was very slow.I once cut a knot the size of a cigarette packet out of my nape hair!
    These days I am at BCL which is ok. My ends aren't perfect but they're not bad. I use oil every day - camellia and I have worn my hair down about once year. I have decided not to worry too much about my ends as I have wavy hair and am going for the fairytale look. I aim to get to classic which is 6 inches away or so.
    Growing back length after a cut of 18 inches in December 09.

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Knee/Thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
    I'm sure I'm the worst possible person to give advice here (considering my scissor-happy past), but at least I've got experience.

1. Heavy-duty treatments do not work with my baby fine hair. CO, or too frequent conditioning result in overladen hair with lots of build-up. There is no point in having hair of any length if it does not look good, and fine hair treated to the point where it resembles a greaseball is just ugly.
    Keep the hair clean and use conditioner where you need to: the ends. Use leave-ins instead of regular conditioner or masks, if need be.

2. Fine-haired people should pay more attantion to avoiding mechanical damage and heat damage. (Abbrasion, sharp combs, combs with too thick tines, BBBs - unless your hair is stick-straight -, flat irons and blowdryers.)

3. The updo that looks fab on someone with 2c / M/C /iii hair will not look the same on someone else with 1a / F /i/ii hair. High ponytails, or buns on top of the head, etc. - updos that leave the hairline visible - rarely look good on people with fine and/or thin hair. More relaxed styles, however, do.

4. Washing one's hair often is not a sin. Even if it happens every day. It just isn't.

I'm currently growing out my 2c / F /i/ii hair out for the umpteenth time, this time accepting the fact that haircare routines followed by people with more or coarser hair than mine do not suit me. Here's hoping I can make it this time.
    I agree about the mechanical damage! Very dangerous for us fine-haired people! I always make sure my hair isn't brushing against anything when sitting down! About the blow-dryer, I don't use it on the length, but I have no option but to use it on the roots (very propense to colds and sore throats, I am!). I haven't noticed any damage, though, I don't blow-dry overmuch and move the blow-dryer a lot.
    I try not to wash my hair more than twice a week...I have greasy roots, but I don't want to wash my length more than twice a week...I have to consider scalp washes, but for now, dry shampoo is my friend
    About the ponytails and buns on top of the head...I think that depends on the person, I love those styles and I think they look good on me, fine hair and all . I've never had any problems with my hairline. I try not to make them overtight, of course!

Length
    chin/sh l/bra

My hair is alot like yours. i have slightly wavy fine hair. I have been using head and shoulders shampoo (duck and cover) recently. It gets my oily scalp clean. Instead of using a rinse out conditioner in the shower, I use it out of the shower on towel dried hair from the ear down. It makes finger combing easier. I might towel dry one more time with a microfiber towel and then comb again and then I'm done. This way your length gets the weigh-down and moisture but your scalp gets the deep clean to unclog your follicles.

If you want to beef up your conditioner experience, you can always add just a touch of jojoba or coconut oil to the conditioner or douse with these overnight and shampoo the next day. I haven't been doing this for too long, but I notice that my hair looks good and feels good at the same time.

Length
    chin/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I so agree with Lamb's point # 3, about updo's.
    My go to updo's are a french twist and lazywrap buns,or a Gibson Tuck.

The longest my hair has ever been is MBL. I always seem to cut it back at that point.

To avoid tangles, I have to wear it up on a daily basis, something I don't always like to do. Mane and Tail original conditioner from the ears down is the best conditioner I've used to help with the detangling process(plus my hair likes protein)
    I do color with a demipermanent 3 times a year, I'm sure it causes some damage even if not immediately apparent. My goal someday is to stop coloring completely.
    I also oil overnight on occasion.
    Trying to grow my babyfine hair long/working on going natural

Tiny Opera Singer SlightlySoprano's Avatar
    Length
    SL/~APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

This! What works for people with M/C/ii/iii hair makes my hair look horrible and limp. Also, when I do updo's, I take care to keep them nice and loose. French braids are a great updo that you can do somewhat loosely and they look very soft and romantic, while still keeping your hair back/out of harms way. I also use lighter oils (jojoba, not olive) as the heavier oils make me look like a grease ball.
    Chin--Shoulder--APL--BSL-- MBL-- Waist
    2c/3a-F-i/ii

Length
    chin/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I agree with all these points for myself(and I'm scissor happy as well)
    Co didn't work for me, nor does brushing and I shampoo every 3 days alternating between Nioxin step 3 and a low poo(since I have color treated hair) Sometimes I shampoo every 2 days.
    I'm always tweaking my routine so I'm hesitant to post my routine -but I shampoo every 2-3 days using a moisturizing conditoner from the ears down and a light styling product to define my waves after towel drying. Right now I'm using Devacurls Angel or Aloe Vera gel. I use much less than most people just about a nickel size.
    Last edited by Babyfine; December 6th, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Trying to grow my babyfine hair long/working on going natural

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Thank you fine thin hairs for sharing your techniques. I look forward to following this thread to know what to do for my hair once it is long.

I haven't had long hair in years but when I did and it was virgin I damaged it mechanically often and had a ton of tangles. My hair is only shoulder length but I never wear it down, it is too ugly. I comb in the shower when my conditioner is setting and I comb it again with detangler right after the shower and that is all. I try not to touch my hair when it is dry or it becomes greasy faster. Washing every day is becoming something I'm embracing instead of using dry shampoo to stretch washes because it doesn't make my scalp feel good and is hard to wash out. I use Klorane's dry shampoo it is my favorite.

I wish I had long fine thin hair so I could use soft rollers overnight on the ends, does anyone do that?

I don't use a brush only a comb. I hate CO. I CWC with non-cone condish, sls-free poo, then cones. I do like sulphates however but want to be gentle with fragile hair.
    Last edited by vanillabones; December 6th, 2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: adding
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL