Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Care For Baby-Fine Hair

Length
    18/bob/n/a
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Best Care For Baby-Fine Hair

Quote Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
    3. The updo that looks fab on someone with 2c / M/C /iii hair will not look the same on someone else with 1a / F /i/ii hair. High ponytails, or buns on top of the head, etc. - updos that leave the hairline visible - rarely look good on people with fine and/or thin hair. More relaxed styles, however, do.
    I agree with all of your points except for this. I'd consider myself a fine thin haired girl (my ponytail circumference is 2") but have never stayed away from ponytails. Topknots, yet (they look like a pimple on my head) but a high pony actually makes my hair looks thicker.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Not a whole lot I can say that hasn't already been said. Mine's pretty fine, and similar to yours. I've gotten it to a lower tailbone, though right now it's a few inches shorter. Keeping it contained decreases the tangles decreases the number of kinked hairs I get which breed more tangles. But the hairs with sharp kinks in them are what I'm constantly fighting with lately.

For my hair, though, I find over-cleansing to be more of a problem than overconditioning. Too much shampoo makes my hair dry and splitty, makes my scalp start pumping out oil, and it makes all my baby hairs frizz in every possible direction. CO washing with a light conditioner (Suave's good, but I can't do too many repetitions of the heavier ones I've tried) seems to give me the best balance between volume and frizz.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I think she must have meant that with these types of styles it is easier to see the thinness of the hair. I know in my case, my hair looks SO flat to my head when pulled back. I don't like it, but what can I do? I have to keep my hair up.

Quote Originally Posted by uptosomeone View Post
    I agree with all of your points except for this. I'd consider myself a fine thin haired girl (my ponytail circumference is 2") but have never stayed away from ponytails. Topknots, yet (they look like a pimple on my head) but a high pony actually makes my hair looks thicker.
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Funny. I don't think my hair has ever frizzed in my life. And I don't ever notice "baby hairs".

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Not a whole lot I can say that hasn't already been said. Mine's pretty fine, and similar to yours. I've gotten it to a lower tailbone, though right now it's a few inches shorter. Keeping it contained decreases the tangles decreases the number of kinked hairs I get which breed more tangles. But the hairs with sharp kinks in them are what I'm constantly fighting with lately.

For my hair, though, I find over-cleansing to be more of a problem than overconditioning. Too much shampoo makes my hair dry and splitty, makes my scalp start pumping out oil, and it makes all my baby hairs frizz in every possible direction. CO washing with a light conditioner (Suave's good, but I can't do too many repetitions of the heavier ones I've tried) seems to give me the best balance between volume and frizz.
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

For me, mechanical damage seems to be the biggest issue overall. Rubbing against clothing, collars, chairs, sitting on it, tying off braids, securing updos, catching on jewelry, etc..

I have to be careful about creating my updos, over time if I use the exact same one and put too much tension in my hair, it will cause damage which makes my hemline look thinner than it should.

Currently I'm growing out some damage, so there's a place where my braid begins to thin out pretty noticeably. Luckily, the thicker bit really does seem to be moving down my length, so I'm doing something right.

I've been using a BBB for scalp massage, only after I carefully finger detangle, and sometimes use a Tangle Teezer instead of the BBB.

I wash my hair a few times a week, only putting shampoo at my scalp, only putting conditioner on my length. My scalp is oily, and hates getting conditioner on it.

I get along best with a separate detangler, either a creme rinse that's rinsed out or a detangling spray that's left in.

For about six months this year (Jan-Jun) I did a monthly cassia obovata treatment, but in the heat of summer I just couldn't cope with the effort of it, so I only recently picked up with it again. My hair does seem to appreciate it, but it does need a bit of extra moisture just afterwards, so I slather my head with a cheap CO type conditioner during the rinse out process, as the extra moisture really seems to help ease things along.

The main thing I've learned it to just be patient with myself, and to just STIFLE the urge to cut. Some days, some months, my hair looks much better than others, with no particular rhyme or reason, and no change in my routine.

Wow, some great advice here already! One of my friends has very long fine hair and she uses Redken anti-snap.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Great thread, UP Lisa! I was going to start a same type thread today as my baby fine hair is driving me crazy. My hair and scalp hate sulfates and cones and I still haven't settled on routine after 4 years at LHC. I guess the most important thing that I do regularly is sleep on a silk pillowcase. I hate updos because I look like a skinned rat with a minuscule bun.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16 in/25 in/????
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Ok, another finey here, at what length did you start to get tangles? My hair is well into shoulder length and I have very few tangles if any. I use EVO as prewash and wash 5x per week.
    Most do's have to be redone several times a day because of the slip, with the exception of a pony.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I dont really get much in the way of tangles anymore. When I used to use cones I did get loads of tangles, even at shoulder length.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I'm eagerly looking forward to be able to do scalp only washes, right now my hair is still too short at APL for me to be able to manage it well. But I'm trying.
    I do CWC when I do shampoo.
    Trying to grow my babyfine hair long/working on going natural