Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Best Care For Baby-Fine Hair

Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Best Care For Baby-Fine Hair

Hello! I saw this thread and had to reply! It's amazing to see people describe their hair much as I would of my own! Mine is crazy fine...and the story of my life is that it's SUPER tangly! I have a good bit of hair, but the texture itself is angel fine. I saw someone describe their hair as 'floaty'...and I feel the same about mine!! I wanted to share with you guys how I have managed to get hair that is no longer so floaty, is super healthy, and is waaaaay less tangly!! First, my number one most awesome hair 'armor' is HENNA! I happen to adore rich red hair and it matches my skin tone perfectly, so I guess I am lucky in that way. (But there are many options with henna and other herbs for hair color.) It's important to use body art quality henna because it's pure. (I buy mine from www.hennasooq.com) Henna literally coats the hair shaft with a keratin protein (if I'm not mistaken) and for me it's like magic!!! It has texture now, yet is silky, shiney, healthy...and a gorgeous color red!!! My hair also grows like crazy now! Another great thing is that I had really really blond hair (from the salon) that I colored over and due to the richness of henna is extremely well blended with my fresh, much darker, outgrowth! See??? MAGIC! Besides the henna being the best thing God put on this earth, there are some other things that I have found over the years of my life that are essentials for my hair. First, there's the Mason Pearson Detangler brush. I'm not kidding...this will change your life if you have tangly hair!!! It can be used wet or dry, and it, too, is MAGIC!! I will never ever be without one. (Be warned, they are expensive...like almost $90...but for me it was so worth the investment because I suffered so much with tangles at my neck especially!) Second, I will always always have some Terax Crema conditioner on hand. It's THE most amazing detangler conditioner on the planet!!! (And I truly believe I have tried them ALL.) Currently I am using Aveda Damage Remedy which does a nice job for me now that my hair is so healthy from the henna, but even just this morning I had to pull out the Crema for an emergency detangle! (My hair had become hopelessly tangled in my necklace overnight, and I could not get it free from it! Isimply spray a little water on my hair and put the tiniest amount of Crema and VOILA, the tangles come free!!! There is truly no other substance that works this perfectly in my hair!) So there are my faves...I hope they help some of you!

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
    I think it is just the way to describe fine hair that's extra fine. It's possible to have baby-fine hair that's relatively thick (although I think it's pretty rare).

I have a baby (15 months) and when I compare my individual hair strands to hers- mine are finer. That's baby-fine hair!! My other dd's hair (4 years) is finer than mine, though.
    I didn't see this until today, but thank you for answering my question! That makes a lot of sense.

I think I have some hairs that could be described as baby-fine, but it's all mixed in with my average-fine hair. The hair around my temples/hairline is probably baby-fine since it is very floaty and tangles more than most other parts of my hair.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    15.5"/30"/35"
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I have baby fine hair with some regular fine mixed in. I don't know if I qualify for this because my hair is not thin. I have a 3.5 in diameter ponytail. It's not super thick but I feel like having more hair makes it more tangle prone. I get lots of splits but my growth rate is fast and I don't get them in the length really. Hairline issues have never been a problem except that I have a widow's peak. I have it luckier than some of the thicker haired girls I know because my baby hairs are unruly and tend to disguise it. I condition all my hair after I shampoo as if I were doing a CO wash and then condition the ends again. I pre oil my hair with coconut oil all over and post oil with EVOO on the ends. I can wash my hair every other day and I often condition my hair with a light hair cream on off days. My ends are really dry. I try to avoid shampoo on them as much as possible. BBB's don't seem to hurt my hair even though it isn't straight. Mine isn't very stiff feeling though. I also sleep with my hair in a braid. I don't know how much of this is truly working for my hair, I'm still experimenting with options to get it healthier. It feels soft as silk though and not greasy at all. Volume is no issue. My hair will stick straight out at the slightest provocation.

Length
    APL/APL/WL/TB
    Type
    2a/F/i

I also have baby fine hair and its thin, my ponytail circumference is about 1.5" It has a tendency to break easily so haven't been able to grow it past BSL yet, or if I ever will. It is wavy though and can sometimes give the appearance of more hair, but its also very flyaway and if I put too much product or oils in, it will clump them together and make it look stringy.

I'm just wondering if I should give cassia a try to see if it helps thicken my fine hairs a bit
    Waist - 27" (mid-goal), Tailbone - 33" (Goal)

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

My friend would use those really soft 100 percent boar bristle brushes from Mason Pearson. I think they even sell brushes for fine soft type hairs.

Length
    2"/5"/APL
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Angel View Post
    I also have baby fine hair and its thin, my ponytail circumference is about 1.5" It has a tendency to break easily so haven't been able to grow it past BSL yet, or if I ever will. It is wavy though and can sometimes give the appearance of more hair, but its also very flyaway and if I put too much product or oils in, it will clump them together and make it look stringy.

I'm just wondering if I should give cassia a try to see if it helps thicken my fine hairs a bit
    Your hair sounds a lot like mine. I'm not sure what my ponytail circumference is as I'm growing out a pixie and it's not yet long enough for me to measure but I would think it will be about the same as yours. I also have a bit of a wave so my hair can sometimes look a little bit more than it really is.

i have tried cassia twice now and to be honest I can't tell any differnence in my hair at all. It's doesn't feel thicker, stronger or conditioned, it just feels the same. But....that's not to say it won't work for you. There is a cassia thread on here somewhere which is a good database of info and lots of people saying they love it so give it a go and see if your hair responds to it. I brought enough cassia for about 6 treatments so I am going to stick with it until I've used it up and see if I get a gradual build up of effects from it though as I have read that can happen.
    Lou x
    Pixie/Ear/Just below ear/just below chin/SL/CBL/APL/BSL

Length
    15/24.5/BSL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I don't know what will work for anyone else, but I treat my baby fine hair like I would treat a baby's fine hair. No tugging, no sharp or snaggy hair toys. I use a Bass BBB for babies. Bought it a natural food store. The bristles are blonde and super soft. I dilute my shampoo, 7 to 1. Only wash once every 4 to 6 days. No harsh chemicals. No dye. No heat. My hair's only 20.5" long so far, so I may have to modify my routine as it grows.

Length
    19"/25"/35"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

I don't know why I've never thought of diluting my shampoo! That's a great idea.

Project Grow Hair, Grow!

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

It's been a few years since I posted here and I've learned a lot about my baby fine hair but I still use the same routine more or less but I'm just starting to have problems now that it is past BSL I'm afraid that it won't grow much further. I'm getting terrible fairy knots unless it is up 24/7 that means no wearing it down at all not in the car, not to sleep, not outside nothing. My hair looks worse down than up anyway. My hair looks better on the top of the head or in a high pony actually :/ but never tightly because my hairline shouldn't be shown off
    Tangles have not been a problem until now.... same with split ends. I've always gotten white dots but now I'm finding splits that split 3 times in one strand OMG O_O
    Tying off a braid is a no no... and I only trust my wide tooth wooden comb but that doesn't take care of the fairy knots so I use my tangle teezer but all I can hear is my hair ripping and I see it stretch and dang is it traumatizing to my poor baby hair.
    I've been patient with stretching washes and sparingly using dry shampoo. I've started washing more frequently again (every other day or 2 days) and I'm OK with that. I also bought a new shampoo I saw on a commercial which I've never done before it's Dove's new oxygen moisture shampoo for flat hair it says it'll give 95% more volume and the ingredients list is surprisingly small I'm excited to use it and I won't feel guilty! My hair is midback and I don't know how much further it will grow it is not fairy tale ends but it does grow in a harsh 'V' now. I don't want to have ultra long hair if I can't enjoy it so I think it's time for some routine changes. I'm afraid to try a scalp wash due to the tangles on my length. My hair has no volume and no body and the baby hairs on my forehead are peaking out again and look awful but I refuse to sacrifice some of my hair for bangs to hide it.

How is everyone else been doing with their baby fine hair? I think I will try the mineral oil next as many people are having good results with that. Shampoo bars would be next my next step as my hair is extremely oily at the scalp only. I haven't used conditioner on my scalp since it was shorter than shoulder.
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Length
    19"/25"/35"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

@vanillabones You talk about splits and hearing your hair ripping. One thing that makes a HUGE difference in length damage, to me, is finger-combing. I usually do it before I wash my hair, and, if necessary on days between washes. I have to set aside a chunk of time to finger-comb the whole length, but if I'm careful, I can eventually remove almost all the knots with no ripping. If I do find an un-removable one, I carefully trim it out of my hair. But it's rare that I have to do that. And, once I've combed it thoroughly with my fingers, a comb slips through it easily. I like doing it right before washing because that's when my hair is naturally its oiliest, and distributing all that oil from scalp to ends seems to help it hold up better to washing, too.

Project Grow Hair, Grow!